|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did a flood destroy the Marzocco?
(b) 72 B.C.
2. What was directly outside the boundaries of ancient Florence?
(a) An open sewer.
(b) A cemetery.
(c) A moat.
(d) An amphitheater.
3. What is in the middle of the main piazza of Florence?
(a) A parking lot.
(b) A restaurant with a great deal of outdoor seating.
(c) A huge fountain.
(d) A statue commemorating Pope Clement VII.
4. Which poets touted a "tooled-leather idea of Florence as a dear bit of the old world"?
(a) Robert Frost and William Carlos Williams.
(b) Keats and Wordsworth.
(c) The Brownings.
(d) The Shelleys.
5. What does the author describe in Chapter 2 as "a stone hypodermic needle"?
(a) The lightning rod on the triumphal arch.
(b) The steeple of Santa Croce.
(c) The memorial to Michelangelo.
(d) The tower of Palazzo Vecchio.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, to which city is modern Florence contrasted in order to show the difference between Guelph and Ghibelline?
2. Which famous Florentine statue no longer has a head?
3. In what period did grotesquerie begin to become present in Florentine art?
4. Under whose leadership were the Patarenes quashed?
5. Who wrote an exaggerated biography of Castruccio Castracane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the medieval nobility's behavior in medieval Florence, as discussed in Chapter 3.
2. Summarize the incidents that began the war between the Guelphs and the Ghibellines.
3. Describe the architectural difference between Guelph and Ghibelline cities.
4. Why is the noise of Florence such a problem? What have been some of the proposals to solve it?
5. Compare Pistoia in the medieval period to Pistoia in the twentieth century.
6. Why does the author describe Florence as a "manly town" in Chapter 1?
7. Describe Michelangelo's personality.
8. How did Pope Clement VII break with Florentine tradition? Explain.
9. Name some of the theories concerning where the head of "Primavera" ended up after the Santa Trinita Bridge was blown up during World War II.
10. How did the Medici tombs appear in the public consciousness of Florence in the twentieth century?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)