|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the height limit of medieval Florentine towers?
(a) Ninety-six feet.
(b) Two hundred feet.
(c) Fifty meters.
(d) One hundred meters.
2. How many arches does the Santa Trinita bridge have?
3. From where did the stone for the Santa Trinita bridge come?
(b) The Boboli Garden.
(d) The quarries to the north of the city.
4. Who wrote the poem "Hermaphroditus"?
(b) Daniel DeFoe.
5. As represented in the statue at the Bargello, what weapon does Saint George conspicuously not carry?
(a) A sword.
(b) A dagger.
(c) A whip.
(d) A quarterstaff.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, to which city is modern Florence contrasted in order to show the difference between Guelph and Ghibelline?
2. As discussed in Chapter 3, who defiled Savonarola's pulpit?
3. As mentioned in Chapter 2, in Dante's Inferno, which Florentine is in Hell with the heretics and Epicureans?
4. What buildings in rural Tuscany survived the medieval wars between the nobility and the people?
5. What adjective does the author use to describe Venice and Siena in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Michelangelo's personality.
2. Describe the architectural difference between Guelph and Ghibelline cities.
3. How did the Medici tombs appear in the public consciousness of Florence in the twentieth century?
4. Summarize the story of the founding of Florence, as discussed in the beginning of Chapter 2.
5. Summarize some of the antics of Lorenzino de' Medici.
6. Where is the religious imagery in the city kept, and what does that imagery depict?
7. Why is sculpture part of "the very fabric of the city" of Florence, as the author asserts in Chapter 2?
8. For what reason is Saint Giovanni Gualberto primarily remembered?
9. Name some of the theories concerning where the head of "Primavera" ended up after the Santa Trinita Bridge was blown up during World War II.
10. According to Chapter 1, what is the tourist's reaction to Florence? Why?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)