|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote a sonnet denouncing Pistoia?
2. Who broke the Florentine custom of honoring the public far above the individual?
(a) Cosimo il Vecchio.
(c) Pope Clement VII.
3. Which character from Dante's Inferno is mentioned in the first paragraph of Chapter 3?
(a) Vanni Fucci.
(b) Cosimo I.
4. Who is described as the "ideally self-interested despot"?
(b) Don Quixote.
(c) Machiavelli's Prince.
5. As mentioned at the end of Chapter 1, who hid in the German Institute during World War II?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did a flood destroy the Marzocco?
2. How did Florentine art express the concept of infamy?
3. What was directly outside the boundaries of ancient Florence?
4. What church houses art that memorializes the quashing of the Patarenes?
5. What is the name of the river that runs through Florence?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 1, what is the tourist's reaction to Florence? Why?
2. Name some of the theories concerning where the head of "Primavera" ended up after the Santa Trinita Bridge was blown up during World War II.
3. Describe the medieval nobility's behavior in medieval Florence, as discussed in Chapter 3.
4. Summarize the story of the founding of Florence, as discussed in the beginning of Chapter 2.
5. What is modern Florence's relationship with its historical artifacts?
6. Explain the word "harangue" and its presence in the lives of the Florentine people.
7. What did Saint Peter Martyr do that dramatically affected Florence?
8. Why is sculpture part of "the very fabric of the city" of Florence, as the author asserts in Chapter 2?
9. Describe Michelangelo's personality.
10. Describe the architectural difference between Guelph and Ghibelline cities.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)