|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author call "an incubus on its present population"?
(a) The David.
(b) Historic Florence.
(c) The Pieta.
(d) The Ponte Vecchio.
2. Who wrote the poem "Hermaphroditus"?
(d) Daniel DeFoe.
3. Which group of people most commonly gets robbed in Florence?
(d) Germans and Swedes.
4. Who is the person mentioned in Chapter 3 who did not exact revenge from someone he came across on Good Friday?
(a) Cosimo il Vecchio.
(b) Saint Giovanni Gualberto.
5. Whom does the author call "the first tragic figure, after Brutus, in political history"?
(a) Pope Clement VII.
(b) Giano della Bella.
(c) Saint Giovanni Gualberto.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which church does the author describe in Chapter 2 as "half a grain depot to be used in case of emergency, siege, or famine"?
2. What was the name of Florence's prospective satellite city?
3. According to Chapter 1, of what does everyone in Florence complain about?
4. Which Florentine church is too far outside Florence for most tourists to visit?
5. What was the function of medieval towers?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason is Saint Giovanni Gualberto primarily remembered?
2. Describe what happens to tourists who enter a church to look at the paintings.
3. Summarize the story of the founding of Florence, as discussed in the beginning of Chapter 2.
4. What is modern Florence's relationship with its historical artifacts?
5. Explain the word "harangue" and its presence in the lives of the Florentine people.
6. According to Chapter 1, what is the tourist's reaction to Florence? Why?
7. What did Saint Peter Martyr do that dramatically affected Florence?
8. Describe the architectural difference between Guelph and Ghibelline cities.
9. Why is sculpture part of "the very fabric of the city" of Florence, as the author asserts in Chapter 2?
10. How did the Medici tombs appear in the public consciousness of Florence in the twentieth century?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)