|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color of marble is not found in the Florentine hills?
2. In what year did a flood destroy the Marzocco?
(d) 72 B.C.
3. Which religious sect of medieval Florence was vegetarian and believed that the world was utterly depraved?
(a) The Waldensians.
(b) The Reformers.
(c) The Epicureans.
(d) The Patarenes.
4. From where did the stone for the Santa Trinita bridge come?
(a) The quarries to the north of the city.
(c) The Boboli Garden.
5. What is Donatello's statue of John the Baptist as a boy called?
(a) The Voice in the Wilderness.
(b) Little John.
(c) San Giovanni ante Baptiste.
(d) San Giovannino.
6. Who was the wife of Cosimo I?
(a) Eleanor of Toledo.
(b) Isabella of Venice.
(c) Anne Tudor.
(d) Margaretta di Lorenzi.
7. Where is Donatello's David?
(a) The Bargello.
(b) The Palazzo Strozzi.
(c) The Uffizi.
(d) The Baptistery.
8. What is the name of Michelangelo's famous sculpture, which is mentioned in the first paragraph of Chapter 1?
(b) The Trinity.
(d) The Pieta.
9. Which of George Eliot's novels is, according to McCarthy, a "sentimental pastiche of Florentine history"?
(a) The Mill on the Floss.
(b) Silas Marner.
(c) Daniel Deronda.
10. Whom did Dante see at the Badia?
(a) Catherine of Siena.
11. What adjective does the author use to describe Venice and Siena in Chapter 1?
12. Which famous Florentine statue no longer has a head?
(b) La Dama del Alba.
13. Which character from Dante's Inferno is mentioned in the first paragraph of Chapter 3?
(a) Cosimo I.
(b) Vanni Fucci.
14. Who is mentioned in the first sentence of Chapter 2?
15. Which poets touted a "tooled-leather idea of Florence as a dear bit of the old world"?
(a) The Brownings.
(b) The Shelleys.
(c) Robert Frost and William Carlos Williams.
(d) Keats and Wordsworth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who broke the Florentine custom of honoring the public far above the individual?
2. As mentioned in Chapter 2, in Dante's Inferno, which Florentine is in Hell with the heretics and Epicureans?
3. As mentioned in Chapter 2, who carried Donatello's statue of the Infant Jesus into battle?
4. Where did the feud between the Blacks and the Whites begin?
5. What was the name of Florence's prospective satellite city?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)