|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Dante see at the Badia?
(d) Catherine of Siena.
2. Which group of people does the author mention in Chapter 1 as willing to show their city to anyone?
3. What buildings in rural Tuscany survived the medieval wars between the nobility and the people?
4. From where did the stone for the Santa Trinita bridge come?
(a) The quarries to the north of the city.
(d) The Boboli Garden.
5. According to the author, who is the only person who can observe Florence well?
(a) The gatekeeper at the Boboli.
(b) The toddlers in strollers.
(c) The night watchman.
(d) The streetsweepers.
6. Where did the feud between the Blacks and the Whites begin?
7. What was the height limit of medieval Florentine towers?
(a) Two hundred feet.
(b) Ninety-six feet.
(c) Fifty meters.
(d) One hundred meters.
8. In what year did a flood destroy the Marzocco?
(c) 72 B.C.
9. As discussed in Chapter 3, what caused the civic unrest in medieval Florence?
(a) The heavy taxes Rome imposed.
(b) Ambition and envy.
(d) The fight for liberty against tyranny.
10. According to Chapter 2, by the time Michelangelo was an old man, who could afford to commission a work from him?
(b) Groups of townspeople.
11. When did the battle of Pistoria take place?
(a) 722 B.C.
(b) A.D. 66.
(c) 1 B.C.
(d) 62 B.C.
12. Who wrote a sonnet denouncing Pistoia?
13. As mentioned in Chapter 3, what does the surname "Bevisangue" mean?
14. What day is market day in Florence?
15. Who was the first Florentine Christian martyr?
(a) San Juan de la Cruz.
(b) San Miniato.
(c) San Fernando.
(d) Saint Stephen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of political speech does Chapter 3 describe as occurring frequently in Florence since medieval times?
2. What does the author describe in Chapter 2 as "a stone hypodermic needle"?
3. Which of George Eliot's novels is, according to McCarthy, a "sentimental pastiche of Florentine history"?
4. What was the home of the Roman governor called?
5. What was the name of Florence's prospective satellite city?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)