|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 1, if you are lost in Florence, whom should you ask for directions?
(a) A policeman.
(b) The guard at the Boboli.
(c) Any passerby.
(d) A server at any restaurant.
2. As discussed in Chapter 3, what caused the civic unrest in medieval Florence?
(a) The heavy taxes Rome imposed.
(b) The fight for liberty against tyranny.
(d) Ambition and envy.
3. What does the author call "an incubus on its present population"?
(a) The Pieta.
(b) Historic Florence.
(c) The Ponte Vecchio.
(d) The David.
4. Whom did Dante see at the Badia?
(a) Catherine of Siena.
5. What church houses art that memorializes the quashing of the Patarenes?
(a) Santa Maria Novella.
(b) The Duomo.
(c) San Frediano.
(d) Santa Croce.
6. Who brought about the Donation of Constantine?
(a) Gregory the Great.
(c) Saint Sylvester.
7. What was the name of Florence's prospective satellite city?
(c) Piazza della Romana.
8. How many arches does the Santa Trinita bridge have?
9. Who wrote an exaggerated biography of Castruccio Castracane?
10. Who is buried in the Badia, an abbey?
(a) Gregory the Great.
(b) Ugo of Tuscany.
(c) Saint Francis.
11. Who wrote a sonnet denouncing Pistoia?
12. To what city is Florence compared in the beginning of Chapter 1?
(c) New York.
13. Which religious sect of medieval Florence was vegetarian and believed that the world was utterly depraved?
(a) The Epicureans.
(b) The Patarenes.
(c) The Reformers.
(d) The Waldensians.
14. What is the color scheme of the Baptistery?
(a) Pink and brown.
(b) Black and white.
(c) Blue and gold.
(d) Grey and brown.
15. In Chapter 3, to which city is modern Florence contrasted in order to show the difference between Guelph and Ghibelline?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did a flood destroy the Marzocco?
2. What was the height limit of medieval Florentine towers?
3. Where did Buondelmonte de' Buondelmonti, the bridegroom mentioned in Chapter 2, die?
4. As mentioned in the end of Chapter 3, how long was medieval Florence at peace from political unrest?
5. Under whose leadership were the Patarenes quashed?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)