|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a result of the way things have changed, Sandoz decides to make the choice to follow his vows to _____________.
2. What has been used up as a result of Marc and Sofia taking the lander back to the village to be safe?
3. Askama asks ____________ if they can ever be happy again, which is a touching moment in the story.
4. What causes the people to begin to feel less depressed than they have in awhile?
5. What was the color of the natives when the crew members happen upon them in the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Jana'ata mutated the hands in order to make them more dependent on each other.
Part 1: Why is it important that those people were made to be more dependent on each other?
Part 2: How might the world react today if this practice was put into place? Why?
Part 3: Do you think that people could stand to be more dependent on each other today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The experiences that Sandoz had on the planet are difficult to understand as they are difficult for Sandoz to describe.
Part 1: Do you think the stories that Sandoz ends up telling are completely true? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think the Sandoz's interpretations of events might be skewed? Why or why not?
Part 3: How can the government or the priesthood ever truly understand what happened to Sandoz and the others?
Essay Topic 3
As Sandoz is such a good person, what happens to him on the planet seems cruel and unjust.
Part 1: Why do you think that Sandoz is the character to experience the most pain and the most evil, it seems?
Part 2: Do you think that Sandoz is closer to God as a result or not as close to God? Why?
Part 3: Do you think that Sandoz's experience shows that there isn't a God to protect those he loves? Why or why not?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)