|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _________ becomes close to Supaari who understands humor and irony and has an honest perspective of the Jana'ata.
2. Which of the crew members faints at the news that the planet is one which can sustain life?
3. What does the presence of the moon(s) indicate about the planet that Quinn has found as they are traveling through space?
4. What is the one thing which is missing from the homes of the natives that makes them unlike human homes?
5. Supaari gives the humans permission to start a ___________, though this seems to have negative consequences.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jimmy Quinn decides to offer himself up for a less glamorous and high paying job at Arecibo in order to work at Arecibo.
Part 1: Why do you think Quinn is so interested in keeping his job at the telescope?
Part 2: Would you have taken on a lower position job even if you had many more qualifications and experience? Why or why not?
Part 3: How does your perception of Quinn change when you see that he is able to take on a lesser job?
Essay Topic 2
The Runa language does not have names for objects, but rather names for the space the object consumes.
Part 1: Why do you think the Runa languages looks at the world in a different way?
Part 2: Do you think the Runa language is more or less complicated than the English language? Why?
Part 3: How might the English language change if it were to focus less on objects? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The Runa do not know of sickness, only of sickness of the heart, so they can not help D.W.
Part 1: Do you think the D.W. was suffering from sickness of the heart? Why or why not?
Part 2: Is it possible that all illness comes from a sickness of the heart? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the Runa could have helped D.W. recover? Or couldn't they?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)