|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. All of the new babies being born keep the group's mind off their loss, but Sandoz describes this as the fatal __________.
2. What are the color of the markings around the eyes of the natives, according to the crew's description?
3. The Runa only know of the sickness of the _______________, wanting something that you cannot have.
4. Who begins to pick up rocks, leaves, and flowers as they are walking during the mission to find natives?
5. Hlavin carries the title of Reshtar, a third born, and has been trained to ______________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sandoz begins to discover that he has real feelings in relation to God, as opposed to simply having a logical connection to his creator.
Part 1: Why do you think the Sandoz begins to feel more closely connected to God as a result of this trip?
Part 2: Do you think it's okay for priests to simply have a logical, rather than emotional, connection to God? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the deeper connection to God scares Sandoz? Should it?
Essay Topic 2
The Jana'ata mutated the hands in order to make them more dependent on each other.
Part 1: Why is it important that those people were made to be more dependent on each other?
Part 2: How might the world react today if this practice was put into place? Why?
Part 3: Do you think that people could stand to be more dependent on each other today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jimmy Quinn decides to offer himself up for a less glamorous and high paying job at Arecibo in order to work at Arecibo.
Part 1: Why do you think Quinn is so interested in keeping his job at the telescope?
Part 2: Would you have taken on a lower position job even if you had many more qualifications and experience? Why or why not?
Part 3: How does your perception of Quinn change when you see that he is able to take on a lesser job?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)