|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anne and George decide to explore ____________ at zero gravity as a part of their new life in space.
2. A debate begins over the __________________ of the transmission that Jimmy has found in space.
3. Who is hired by the Jesuit society in order to get the mission off the ground and into the universe to find the planet?
4. ______________ claims the mission to find the extraterrestrial singers would be safe, hoping that Anne will come along.
5. When Sandoz comes into the medical clinic late one night, injured, who does he say hurt him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't the crew members respond with fear to the stranger that approaches the camp during a cookout?
2. What is the explanation that Sandoz gives when Anne finds him in the clinic one night, injured?
3. What happens when Candotti finally finds Sandoz after he's seemingly wandered off?
4. What does Sandoz tell Anne about the idea of blaming God for things which have gone wrong?
5. What is the father of a child not allowed to be in the Runa culture?
6. What do Marc and Sofia decide to do once they regain consciousness after their accident in the Ultra Light?
7. What does Giuliani remind Voelker is the purpose of the inquisition into Sandoz?
8. Who was one of the backers of the mission that fed the drama in exchange for attention and money?
9. Why does Giuliani believe that Sandoz is guilty for the actions that took place on Rakhat?
10. What are the roles that D.W. wants Marc and Jimmy to take on after he dies, as he shares with Anne during a talk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Sandoz is such a good person, what happens to him on the planet seems cruel and unjust.
Part 1: Why do you think that Sandoz is the character to experience the most pain and the most evil, it seems?
Part 2: Do you think that Sandoz is closer to God as a result or not as close to God? Why?
Part 3: Do you think that Sandoz's experience shows that there isn't a God to protect those he loves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Runa do not know of sickness, only of sickness of the heart, so they can not help D.W.
Part 1: Do you think the D.W. was suffering from sickness of the heart? Why or why not?
Part 2: Is it possible that all illness comes from a sickness of the heart? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the Runa could have helped D.W. recover? Or couldn't they?
Essay Topic 3
The disfigurement of hands in this story seems to be symbolic for the characters who experience these losses.
Part 1: Why do you think the hands are being disfigured so often in this story?
Part 2: Why do you think Felipe and Sandoz end up with hands that are disfigured?
Part 3: What is the symbolism of hands that are not available for use? Why?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)