|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who spies the interactions between Sandoz, Edward, and Candotti from the balcony at the Naples estate?
2. Who is NOT one of the members of the crew that had gone to the foreign planet in order to learn more?
3. What is the one physical symptom that everyone has as they are getting accustomed to the sensation of zero gravity?
4. Candotti eventually finds Sandoz standing by the ____________ after he has apparently wandered off.
5. It wasn't until ___________ is found that all of the backers scramble to avoid any scandal related to the space mission.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Giuliani believe that Sandoz is guilty for the actions that took place on Rakhat?
2. How do Sandoz and Anne begin to set up the mission in Puerto Rico once he returns there?
3. Who are the members of the crew on the Stella Maris that are dedicated to finding the source of the music?
4. What does Sandoz discover to be the purpose of the songs which beckoned the crew to come find the planet?
5. What does Candotti say when Sandoz asks him whether he experiences God in his own life?
6. How does Sandoz put the children of the people at ease, which makes everyone feel more at ease with each other?
7. How is the planet that Jimmy finds described in the book when it is finally in view?
8. What happens as a result of the permission given by Supaari to start a garden in the land?
9. What is Sandoz doing while he is beside the water in the start of this section?
10. What from the human culture fascinates Supaari considerably when he is exposed to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The crew doesn't feel threatened when a new native enters their cookout, but they are quickly shown that not all natives are friendly.
Part 1: Do you think it's a better idea to trust all the natives or not? Why?
Part 2: How do you think the crew could have reacted to the stranger in order to find out if he was threatening or not?
Part 3: Why do you think Supaari decided not to kill Sandoz when he had the chance?
Essay Topic 2
Jimmy Quinn decides to offer himself up for a less glamorous and high paying job at Arecibo in order to work at Arecibo.
Part 1: Why do you think Quinn is so interested in keeping his job at the telescope?
Part 2: Would you have taken on a lower position job even if you had many more qualifications and experience? Why or why not?
Part 3: How does your perception of Quinn change when you see that he is able to take on a lesser job?
Essay Topic 3
Sandoz decides in the beginning to refuse to talk about what transpired when he was on Rakhat, much to the dismay of the community.
Part 1: Why do you think that Sandoz didn't want to talk about what happened on the planet?
Part 2: Do you think that Sandoz should have been forced to talk about his experience on the planet?
Part 3: Do you think that you could have talked about your experience on a new planet when you first arrived back on Earth? Why or why not?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)