|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _____________ is adamant about staying clear of the mission, even after the music has been heard.
2. What is the name of the foreign planet to which Sandoz and some others traveled in this story?
3. Sandoz was encouraged to take on a ____________ position at the university, but Sandoz feels he has unfinished business.
4. Who discovers that she is attracted to the young priest as she is helping him recover from his wounds?
5. What is the profession of Alan Pace, one of the members of the crew of the spaceship to the new planet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Voelker believe about the crew that went to Rakhat, a critic of the mission as a whole?
2. Who killed D.W. and Anne, according to Supaari when the news is revealed to the group?
3. What is the proposal that Jimmy Quinn offers in order to allow him to stay at Arecibo to work?
4. Why was Father Sandoz staying at the Jesuit Residence near the Vatican at the start of the book?
5. Why does Jimmy turn to Sandoz in order to get advice on how to remain celibate during their time in the ship?
6. What does Sandoz find out about all of the works that the crew of the Stella Maris sent home?
7. What does Giuliani remind Voelker is the purpose of the inquisition into Sandoz?
8. Who was one of the backers of the mission that fed the drama in exchange for attention and money?
9. What is the sort of sickness of which the Runa are familiar, according to this section of the book?
10. What is Marc able to witness when he is disguised as a Jana'ata and heads out with Supaari?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The experiences that Sandoz had on the planet are difficult to understand as they are difficult for Sandoz to describe.
Part 1: Do you think the stories that Sandoz ends up telling are completely true? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think the Sandoz's interpretations of events might be skewed? Why or why not?
Part 3: How can the government or the priesthood ever truly understand what happened to Sandoz and the others?
Essay Topic 2
Sofia is a Jew of Spanish ancestry, which causes her to be persecuted and thus a little defensive.
Part 1: How do you think Sofia has been mistreated because of her background?
Part 2: Do you treat people differently because of their heritage? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think that Sofia is treated differently? What is it about her background that is so reprehensible?
Essay Topic 3
While Sandoz is outfitted with prosthetics which allow him to function better, these only serve to make him feel worse.
Part 1: Do you think that having prosthetics would be an enjoyable experience? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think that Sandoz is still upset even though he can use his hands more?
Part 3: Do you think Sandoz is being ungrateful? Why or why not?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)