|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is MULTICS?
2. What is the nickname for the microdiagnostics?
3. What is the suicide command?
4. What does an engineer receive when he completes a successful project?
5. What do the engineers often talk about putting on the side of the Eclipse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first NOVA?
2. How is competition used as a management strategy in companies such as Data General and IBM? Is this a good strategy?
3. What made Alsing think that Holland was ideal for writing microcode?
4. What are the four rules of the Eagle team?
5. Describe the weekly meetings Tom has with Wallach, Alsing, and Rasala.
6. What were computers like in the early days?
7. Describe Tom West.
8. What is the problem with West at the beginning of the chapter?
9. What is the importance of the 32-bit computer?
10. What 'sly' thing does West do? What does he feel the VAX embodies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that makes one or more analogies about the inner workings of the Eclipse team, and explains why these analogies are appropriate.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing two programming languages. It is not necessary to know how to actually program in either language, some basic online research should suffice. Be sure to address:
1) Pros and cons of each programming language.
2) Similarities and differences between the languages.
3) What each programming language is commonly used for, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the role of freedom in the workplace. Be sure to address:
1) Examples of where freedom has benefited a company or industry.
2) How best to manage freedom and prevent it from becoming destructive.
3) Uses and limitations of freedom in work.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)