|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Cossacks harbor strong feelings towards?
2. What game does Alsing play?
3. Where does West's father work?
4. What do computers manipulate directly?
5. Where was Firth born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is competition used as a management strategy in companies such as Data General and IBM? Is this a good strategy?
2. How does Tom change? When and why does he change?
3. What is the 'dream job' described at the start of the chapter? Why does this job sound great to the engineers?
4. How does West react to the time constraints on Eagle?
5. What were computers like in the early days?
6. How does a computer appear to make sophisticated decisions?
7. What is the appeal of a clean sheet of paper?
8. What is the first NOVA?
9. Describe Alsing's management style.
10. What made Alsing think that Holland was ideal for writing microcode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the trend of technological obsolescence. Be sure to address:
1) Whether or not the trend can be slowed, and whether or not a slowing of this trend would hamper progress.
2) The consequences, and pros and cons, of technological obsolescence.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that describes the field of risk management. Be sure to address:
1) The basic principles of risk management.
2) The current state of career opportunities in risk management.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that serves as a brief history of the evolution of computers. Be sure to mention:
1) Important milestones
2) Important contributors to computer science
3) Companies and organizations that played a key role in the development of computer technology
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)