|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the electrician that West and his wife befriend?
2. What is MULTICS?
3. What is the first programming language that Alsing learns to use?
4. What is the suicide command?
5. Where is Rasala's family from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the 'dream job' described at the start of the chapter? Why does this job sound great to the engineers?
2. What is microcode? How does it work?
3. Why does West not attempt to debug the Eagle?
4. What is the importance of the 32-bit computer?
5. How does a computer appear to make sophisticated decisions?
6. What were computers like in the early days?
7. Describe the game Adventure.
8. What is the problem with West at the beginning of the chapter?
9. Why does a company use cubicles?
10. Describe the secondary and support industries that were created around the computer industry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the role of freedom in the workplace. Be sure to address:
1) Examples of where freedom has benefited a company or industry.
2) How best to manage freedom and prevent it from becoming destructive.
3) Uses and limitations of freedom in work.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that serves as a basic instruction manual for a computer, a piece of software, or other technical process. Be sure that:
1) The instructions are suitable for a wide audience.
2) The instructions follow a step-by-step order.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that serves as a brief history of the evolution of computers. Be sure to mention:
1) Important milestones
2) Important contributors to computer science
3) Companies and organizations that played a key role in the development of computer technology
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)