|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do computers manipulate directly?
2. Who is Edson de Castro?
3. How much does it cost to manufacture a VAX?
4. What does an engineer receive when he completes a successful project?
5. 'There's no such thing as a...'
Short Essay Questions
1. What complexities and problems exist in microcode?
2. What is microcode? How does it work?
3. How is competition used as a management strategy in companies such as Data General and IBM? Is this a good strategy?
4. What is the problem with West at the beginning of the chapter?
5. How does West react to the time constraints on Eagle?
6. Describe Rasala.
7. Why is Wallach the ideal candidate for the Eagle?
8. What were computers like in the early days?
9. What does Alsing do to his sons?
10. Describe Tom West.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining the importance of computers in modern society. Be sure to address:
1) Any concerns or problems with our current level of computer use.
2) Whether your level of computer dependency is higher or lower than the average.
3) How our computer use may look in the future.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that explains a well-known concept or strategy in business management. Be sure to address:
1) How this management strategy relates to the events of The Soul of a New Machine by Tracy Kidder.
2) Why this management strategy or concept is successful.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the role of freedom in the workplace. Be sure to address:
1) Examples of where freedom has benefited a company or industry.
2) How best to manage freedom and prevent it from becoming destructive.
3) Uses and limitations of freedom in work.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)