|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through September 4 through November 26.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspect of humanity does Werther assert, in the letter of October 26, makes him want to "tear his heart open"?
(a) The notion that everyone supposedly has only one soul-mate.
(b) The notion that people mean quite little to one another.
(c) The idea that love can wither and die.
(d) The fact that death is inevitable.
2. Why does Werther like the new person he met in the letter of November 26?
(a) He or she is kind and understanding.
(b) He or she is a great artist.
(c) He or she is fabulously wealthy.
(d) He or she is extremely good-looking.
3. What event does Werther inadvertently attend, as related in the letter of March 15?
(a) A masque ball.
(b) A parade.
(c) An assembly.
(d) A court procedure.
4. At which event did Werther meet a new female acquaintance?
(a) At a parliamentary debate.
(b) At the theater.
(c) At a ball.
(d) At a fair.
5. Who is the "Melusine" to whom Werther refers?
(a) A historical French princess.
(b) A mythical water-nymph.
(c) One of the mythical Furies.
(d) The daughter of the town mayor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the farmer-boy of Wahlheim do that resulted in his current fate?
2. What does Werther feel now that he is in this new location at the beginning of the book?
3. What annoys Werther's employer?
4. How many children does the estate manager have, whom Werther meets?
5. What does the main character find pleasant about the place in which he currently resides?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)