|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through July 26 through September 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Werther not written to the usual recipient of his letters as of late?
(a) Werther has been busy with business affairs.
(b) Werther has been very ill.
(c) Werther has been traveling.
(d) Werther has become infatuated with someone.
2. In his letter of May 17, what does Werther find the state of humanity to be?
(a) Awesome and inspiring.
(b) Horribly sinful.
(c) Generally monotonous.
(d) Happy and joyous.
3. To what does Werther compare the young woman with whom he has fallen in love?
(a) A martyr.
(b) A sinner.
(c) A dove.
(d) A prophet.
4. Why, according to Werther, does the "torrent of genius" so rarely pour forth?
(a) Because the average individual is of too limited intelligence to qualify as a genius.
(b) Because God only imparts genius to a select few individuals.
(c) Because genius requires obsession with one's subject, and only very few people are truly obsessed.
(d) Because genius requires the close interaction of many people, and quarreling prevents this.
5. What is the substance of the main character's business project at the beginning of the book?
(a) Arrangements for travel.
(b) A building contract.
(c) The interviewing of potential servants.
(d) An inheritance dispute.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which poet does Werther's new female friend mention in relation to the event which disrupts the large gathering they attend?
2. What subject do Werther and Lotte discuss at length in the letter of September 10?
3. What effect does Lotte's continued presence have on Werther?
4. In which object or objects is Werther surprised to find clear evidence of his own folly?
5. What is the main character's name?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)