|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Archie become wealthy?
2. How long has Thea prepared for the part of Sieglinde?
3. What does Thea update Archie on when they finally see each other in New York?
4. Who is Landry?
5. What does Thea do on the train back to Chicago after she visits Moonstone for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What key piece of information does Cather insert into Tillie's recollection about her time in Kansas City with Thea?
2. Why is Ottenburg upset that Thea will take money from Archie, but not from him?
3. What is different for Thea about the Mexican ball?
4. What epiphany does Thea have on music and water while at Ottenburg Ranch?
5. Why does Thea refuse to take money from Ottenburg?
6. What happens to Thea's father?
7. How does Thea feel about her family when she returns to Chicago after spending the summer with them?
8. Why does Ottenburg leave Thea when she prepares to leave for Germany?
9. How does Archie react when he sees Thea after her performance in New York?
10. What gifts does Ottenburg send Thea when she is sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What three factors or events are most influential in Thea's decision never to return to her family after she visits them for the summer? Make sure to use quotes from the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Describe three significant ways that Ray's death has an impact on Thea's life and character. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support each way that you discuss in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Cather skip over such large periods of time, such as when Thea and Ottenburg are in Mexico together and the ten years Thea spends in Germany? List at least three literary devices and explain how Cather uses the devices to indirectly address this gap in the story line.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)