|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who provides music for the Mexican ball?
2. Why is Spanish Johnny in New York during Thea's grand performance?
3. What do the Nathanmeyers provide Thea in Chicago?
4. How does Archie become wealthy?
5. How does Thea measure things even though she is famous and wealthy by the time the novel concludes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different for Thea about the Mexican ball?
2. How does Thea's family respond to her attendance and singing at the Mexican ball?
3. Why is Ottenburg upset that Thea will take money from Archie, but not from him?
4. How do the Kohlers respond to being awakened by Thea's voice during the Mexican ball?
5. How do Thea's thoughts on music change during her time at Ottenburg Ranch?
6. Why does Bowers think Thea needs to be more pleasant?
7. Why is Thea relieved after she tells Archie the story of her and Ottenburg?
8. How does Thea help herself fall asleep the night before her big performance?
9. What gifts does Ottenburg send Thea when she is sick?
10. What is the pride of Tillie's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Thea's family a positive or negative influence in Thea's life? In your answer, make sure to discuss both Thea's parents and at least one sibling, as well as use direct evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
What two personality traits of Thea make her successful? Make sure to use specific examples and quotes from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three obstacles Thea faces during her journey toward becoming a singer and how she is able to overcome each of those obstacles. Cite the text to support your statements.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)