|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thea discuss with Dr. Archie after the Mexican ball?
2. What does Archie say to Ottenburg about how Thea sings?
3. Before she leaves for Germany, what does Thea make Ottenburg promise?
4. Where does Archie work when Thea returns to the United States?
5. Why is Spanish Johnny in New York during Thea's grand performance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Kohlers respond to being awakened by Thea's voice during the Mexican ball?
2. What happens to Thea's father?
3. Why does Bowers think Thea needs to be more pleasant?
4. What does Thea come to realize about fate during her time at Ottenburg Ranch?
5. What is the story behind Ottenburg's first marriage?
6. What gifts does Ottenburg send Thea when she is sick?
7. Why doesn't Thea return to Moonstone when her mother is dying?
8. How does Archie react when he sees Thea after her performance in New York?
9. Why is Ottenburg upset that Thea will take money from Archie, but not from him?
10. Why does Ottenburg leave Thea when she prepares to leave for Germany?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Kronborg's and Archies' marriages, making sure to use specific examples and quotations from your text in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
What three factors or events are most influential in Thea's decision never to return to her family after she visits them for the summer? Make sure to use quotes from the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Is Thea's "realization" that she can never return home to her family in Moonstone a fair and justified decision? Why or why not? Use at least four examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)