|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Nathanmeyers think of Thea's voice?
2. What illness does Thea get after seeing the Nathanmeyers?
3. What does Thea do repeatedly with the Ramos brothers at the Mexican ball?
4. How is Thea going to get to Germany?
5. Where does Thea first encounter Spanish Johnny when she returns home from Chicago?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thea feel about her family when she returns to Chicago after spending the summer with them?
2. How does Thea's family respond to her attendance and singing at the Mexican ball?
3. What does Thea come to realize about fate during her time at Ottenburg Ranch?
4. How do the Kohlers respond to being awakened by Thea's voice during the Mexican ball?
5. Why does Bowers think Thea needs to be more pleasant?
6. What is the story behind Ottenburg's first marriage?
7. What does Archie reminisce as the best two times of his life?
8. Why is Ottenburg upset that Thea will take money from Archie, but not from him?
9. Why doesn't Thea return to Moonstone when her mother is dying?
10. How does Thea help herself fall asleep the night before her big performance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast one weak strong female character and one strong female character from "The Song of the Lark," making sure you address what you think Cather is trying to convey through each. Why do you think this is the message Cather wants to convey? Give examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Conduct a character analysis of Tillie. What does she represent in the text? What does she contribute to the story? How does she develop other characters? What is the reader to make of the fact that she is the only one left in Moonstone when the novel concludes?
Essay Topic 3
Is Thea's family a positive or negative influence in Thea's life? In your answer, make sure to discuss both Thea's parents and at least one sibling, as well as use direct evidence from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)