|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thea feel about her initial rented room in Chicago?
2. What is Thea's last name?
3. What request of Thea does Anna make immediately upon her initial return to Moonstone?
4. Why is Mrs. Harsanyi disappointed that Thea will no longer be her husband's student?
5. How much time passes in Chicago until Dr. Archie and Thea get to visit Reverend Lars Larson?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Kronborg run her house?
2. What does Thea think about her switch to studying voice instead of piano?
3. Why does Harsanyi begin to add voice lessons to Thea's piano?
4. How does Thea feel when talking to Ray when he is dying?
5. Why does Thea like Kennedy?
6. Why is Thea in tears after going to Archie's house to pick berries?
7. What does Thea's room in her parents' house provide for her?
8. How does the town react to the tramp's arrival?
9. What reasons does Thea give Archie about studying in Germany?
10. Why does Thea get defensive when Archie asks about her lessons with Professor Wunsch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three obstacles Thea faces during her journey toward becoming a singer and how she is able to overcome each of those obstacles. Cite the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Cather choose the painting, "The Song of the Lark" to play such an important role in both the story and the title of her novel? Use at least three examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Cather introduce the character of the tramp? What function does he serve? Is he a necessary part of the story? What does he show the reader about at least one other character in "The Song of the Lark"?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)