|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wunsch throw at Spanish Johnny when he attacks him?
2. Where does the tramp try to put on a show?
3. Why is the tramp arrested?
4. Where does Ray promise to take Thea one day?
5. Who bids Wunsch goodbye as he leaves town?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Spanish Johnny usually embark on his trips?
2. What does Thea's room in her parents' house provide for her?
3. Why does Harsanyi begin to add voice lessons to Thea's piano?
4. Why is Thea in tears after going to Archie's house to pick berries?
5. Why does Archie wonder aloud to Thea about why he and Wunsch are in Moonstone?
6. Why does Tillie alienate herself from her drama club?
7. How is Thea's social life when she arrives in Chicago?
8. When do Archie and Thea first meet each other?
9. Why does Thea like Kennedy?
10. How does Ray want Thea to use his life insurance money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Dr. Archie's relationship with Thea, beginning when he meets her during her brother's birth and ending with the conclusion of the novel. What does their relationship provide for one another? Does their relationship help or hinder them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of Gluck's "Orpheus" throughout the novel, making sure to use specific examples from the text in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three obstacles Thea faces during her journey toward becoming a singer and how she is able to overcome each of those obstacles. Cite the text to support your statements.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)