|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Thea sometimes lose her temper?
2. Why does Archie give Wunsch a sedative upon bringing him home after discovering him wrapped in a blanket?
3. What are the townspeople doing when Archie and Thea bump into each other in the middle of the night?
4. When does Thea confess to Harsanyi that she sings in a church choir?
5. Where is Mrs. Anderson from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thea's room in her parents' house provide for her?
2. When do Archie and Thea first meet each other?
3. Why is Thea deeply distressed when Hasanyi tells her that she should pursue voice lessons instead?
4. Why does Harsanyi begin to add voice lessons to Thea's piano?
5. Why is Thea in tears after going to Archie's house to pick berries?
6. For what is Mrs. Archie known?
7. Why is the position that Larson offers Thea in the church choir so important?
8. Why does Tillie alienate herself from her drama club?
9. What does Thea decide after she hears the Chicago orchestra for the first time?
10. What does Archie encourage the young Thea to do with her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Thea's family a positive or negative influence in Thea's life? In your answer, make sure to discuss both Thea's parents and at least one sibling, as well as use direct evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast one weak male character and one strong male character from "The Song of the Lark," addressing what you think Cather is trying to convey through each. What makes you think this is the message Cather tries to convey? Give examples from the book and cite the book where necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of Gluck's "Orpheus" throughout the novel, making sure to use specific examples from the text in your essay.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)