|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thea perform at the concert?
2. When does Thea confess to Harsanyi that she sings in a church choir?
3. How does Ray die?
4. What does Harsanyi think of Thea's experience?
5. With whom does Thea sometimes lose her temper?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Thea seem to be most herself during her first few weeks in Chicago?
2. How does Thea feel when talking to Ray when he is dying?
3. Why does Thea like Kennedy?
4. What does Mrs. Tellamantez think about Spanish Johnny's trips?
5. What do Thea's parents discuss before her return from Chicago?
6. How does Thea react to the tramp's death?
7. Why does Wunsch live with the Kohlers?
8. What happens to Thea's studying of the piano that makes things so upsetting?
9. Why is the position that Larson offers Thea in the church choir so important?
10. What does Archie encourage the young Thea to do with her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Cather skip over such large periods of time, such as when Thea and Ottenburg are in Mexico together and the ten years Thea spends in Germany? List at least three literary devices and explain how Cather uses the devices to indirectly address this gap in the story line.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three obstacles Thea faces during her journey toward becoming a singer and how she is able to overcome each of those obstacles. Cite the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast one weak strong female character and one strong female character from "The Song of the Lark," making sure you address what you think Cather is trying to convey through each. Why do you think this is the message Cather wants to convey? Give examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)