|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who plans the Mexican ball?
(a) A visiting troupe of Mexican folklore dancers.
(b) Johnny and his friends.
(c) A visiting troupe of Mexican folklore singers.
(d) The mayor.
2. What do the Nathanmeyers think of Thea's voice?
(a) That it is the first real voice they've heard in Chicago.
(b) They never hear her sing; this is a trick question.
(c) That it is just average.
(d) That it is definitely overrated.
3. How does Thea feel when she sees Archie in New York for the first time?
(a) Worried and stressed.
(b) Mad and cranky.
(c) Happy and sad.
(d) Happy and relieved.
4. What does Archie make sure he has before he heads to New York?
(a) His medical kit.
(b) The money her parents willed her.
(c) A wedding dress for Thea.
(d) Proper clothes.
5. What does Thea tell Bowers she does not want to do for more money?
(a) Dress more revealing.
(c) Smile for it.
(d) Compliment his students.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Thea going to get to Germany?
2. Who goes to dinner with Archie once he meets Thea in New York?
3. Why do the people of Moonstone feel sorry for Tillie?
4. Who is Landry?
5. What does Thea plan to do with her mother when she gets sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What key piece of information does Cather insert into Tillie's recollection about her time in Kansas City with Thea?
2. How does Thea feel about her family when she returns to Chicago after spending the summer with them?
3. What is the story behind Ottenburg's first marriage?
4. What does Thea come to realize about fate during her time at Ottenburg Ranch?
5. What is the pride of Tillie's life?
6. How do the Kohlers respond to being awakened by Thea's voice during the Mexican ball?
7. What indicates to the reader that Spanish Johnny is excited and proud of Thea's performance?
8. What epiphany does Thea have on music and water while at Ottenburg Ranch?
9. How does Thea help herself fall asleep the night before her big performance?
10. Why does the medical student come to visit Thea when she is sick?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)