|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Thea resent Mrs. Priest?
(a) Because she is a better singer than Thea.
(b) Because she doesn't recognize her own shortcomings.
(c) Because she is cruel to Thea.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
2. What does Thea plan to do with her mother when she gets sick?
(a) Send her to Chicago for the best treatment they can afford.
(b) Send her to New York for the best treatment they can afford.
(c) Come home at once.
(d) Take her back to Germany with her.
3. Where does Ottenburg first kiss Thea?
(a) In the canyon.
(b) In her bedroom.
(c) In his house.
(d) In the kitchen.
4. How does Thea pay for her keep in Chicago when she comes back from Moonstone?
(a) Works as a maid.
(b) Both of these answers are correct.
(c) Provides piano for some of Bower's students.
(d) Works at a church position.
5. Who helps Archie with his work and his house?
(a) The three kids he has with his new girlfriend.
(b) No one..
(c) Three Italian boys.
(d) Three Japanese boys.
6. Who is Fred Ottenburg?
(a) Bowers' son.
(b) One of Bowers' students.
(c) Bowers' neighbor.
(d) Thea's neighbor.
7. Why doesn't Archie remarry?
(a) He is afraid of getting another bad woman.
(b) He is still too in love with his first wife.
(c) He is still grieving the loss of his first wife.
(d) He decided he likes being single.
8. What do the Nathanmeyers provide Thea in Chicago?
(a) A piano teaching position for their children.
(b) A paying job and some nice clothes.
(c) A place to live and a servant.
(d) A modeling job.
9. Where is the meeting Archie is attending when he receives a letter from Thea asking for money?
(b) New York.
10. What does Thea do on the train back to Chicago after she visits Moonstone for the first time?
(a) Gets kicked off because she forgot her ticket.
(c) Meets a handsome gentleman.
(d) Sleeps the entire trip.
11. What do the Nathanmeyers think of Thea's voice?
(a) They never hear her sing; this is a trick question.
(b) That it is definitely overrated.
(c) That it is just average.
(d) That it is the first real voice they've heard in Chicago.
12. What statement of Thea's offends Bowers?
(a) That she is the best student he has ever had.
(b) That his house is filthy.
(c) That she thinks he isn't worth what she's paying for lessons.
(d) That one of his students doesn't meet her standards for singers.
13. How does Thea react to Ottenburg's kiss?
(a) She faints.
(d) She gets sick.
14. Who provides music for the Mexican ball?
(a) Johnny and his friends.
(b) A visiting troupe of Mexican folklore musicians.
(c) The Chicago orchestra.
(d) Wunsch, who has since sobered up.
15. Who is the only other Kronborg that Thea stays in touch with?
(c) No one.
(d) Her older brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Ottenburg Ranch located?
2. Who watches Thea and Ottenburg have their first kiss?
3. Where does Archie work when Thea returns to the United States?
4. When do Thea and Ottenburg leave the ranch?
5. Who sings with Thea back at Johnny's house?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)