|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who goes to dinner with Archie once he meets Thea in New York?
(a) Only Ottenburg.
(b) Thea and Ottenburg.
(c) Only Thea.
2. What does Thea bring into one of the cave dwellings to make it more homey?
(a) A small couch.
(b) A bed.
(d) A lamp.
3. Where does Archie work when Thea returns to the United States?
(a) The San Felipe Mining Company.
(b) Chicago General Hospital.
(c) The Great National Bank.
(d) Denver General Hospital.
4. What does Thea plan to do with her mother when she gets sick?
(a) Come home at once.
(b) Send her to Chicago for the best treatment they can afford.
(c) Take her back to Germany with her.
(d) Send her to New York for the best treatment they can afford.
5. Why does Thea resent Mrs. Priest?
(a) Because she doesn't recognize her own shortcomings.
(b) Because she is cruel to Thea.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Because she is a better singer than Thea.
6. Where does Ottenburg first kiss Thea?
(a) In his house.
(b) In her bedroom.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) In the canyon.
7. Where is the meeting Archie is attending when he receives a letter from Thea asking for money?
(c) New York.
8. What does Mrs. Harsanyi think about Thea's working with Bowers?
(a) That it is the wrong atmosphere for her.
(b) That Thea needs to stop complaining.
(c) That Bowers will really help Thea.
(d) That Bowers is overcharging her.
9. What kind of meeting is Archie attending when he receives a letter from Thea asking for money?
(a) A stockholder meeting.
(b) A doctor's meeting.
(c) A government meeting.
(d) A family meeting.
10. What statement of Thea's offends Bowers?
(a) That she is the best student he has ever had.
(b) That she thinks he isn't worth what she's paying for lessons.
(c) That one of his students doesn't meet her standards for singers.
(d) That his house is filthy.
11. What does Archie chide Thea about once her career has taken off in New York?
(a) Not spending any money on herself.
(b) Not having a personal life.
(c) Not reading the newspaper every day, like she used to as a child.
(d) Not staying in shape.
12. What does Thea do repeatedly with the Ramos brothers at the Mexican ball?
(c) Play chess.
13. Who is present at Thea's big performance in New York?
(a) Nearly all her dearest friends.
(b) Her ill mother.
(c) No one she knows.
(d) The President.
14. Who is the only other Kronborg that Thea stays in touch with?
(b) No one.
(c) Her older brother.
15. Where does Archie meet with Thea after he receives her letter asking for money?
(a) The street.
(b) Her hotel.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) The Metropolitan Opera House.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thea do on the train back to Chicago after she visits Moonstone for the first time?
2. What does Thea tell Bowers she does not want to do for more money?
3. What does Bowers notice about Thea when he sees her singing with Ottenburg?
4. Who provides music for the Mexican ball?
5. What emotion does Thea think she can feel coming from the rock surface of the Native American dwellings near the Ottenburg Ranch?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)