|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the tramp go to die?
(a) Thea's house.
(b) The city's water tank.
(c) Archie's house.
(d) The countryside.
2. What does Tillie think about Thea?
(a) That she is guilty of a crime.
(b) That she is beautiful, but dumb.
(c) That she will someday be great.
(d) That she is spoiled.
3. Who carries Wunsch home after he is found sitting, wrapped in a blanket?
(b) Spanish Johnny and some other men.
(c) Archie alone.
(d) The Kohlers.
4. How does Thea's family react to Anna's joining of a church?
(a) No one speaks to her for a week.
(b) They are plagued by it.
(c) They throw her a party.
(d) They are excited.
5. Why is Thea upset when she first visits the Art Institute?
(a) Because she is not allowed inside.
(b) Because she never visited before.
(c) Because she runs into an old friend from Moonstone.
(d) Because all of the paintings have been vandalized.
6. Why does Thea's mother let her drop out of school?
(a) So she can find someone to marry.
(b) So she can become the town piano teacher.
(c) So she can help take care of the kids.
(d) So she can work more in the family restaurant.
7. What happens to Wunsch's piano students after his drunken incident?
(a) They all leave.
(b) They tease him mercilessly.
(c) They stop misbehaving.
(d) He gets a lot more of them.
8. Who is Dr. Howard Archie?
(a) The town doctor.
(b) The town professor.
(c) A doctor who visits once a year.
(d) A doctor who isn't really a doctor, but likes to be addressed as one.
9. Why does Thea finally come to enjoy the mournful Wednesday prayer services her father makes her attend?
(a) Because she gets to see her secret boyfriend there.
(b) Because there is no music involved, so that part of her brain can rest.
(c) Because they bolster her desire to be happy.
(d) Because she can just attend and not worry about teaching anyone.
10. What does Thea do with the money she earns from teaching piano?
(a) Goes dancing.
(b) Gets some new clothes.
(c) Fixes up her room.
(d) Buys a car.
11. Who does Thea bring with her to pick berries at Archie's house?
(a) No one.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
12. What music does Thea play and sing with the Harsanyi children?
(a) Music Anna taught her.
(b) Music she wrote herself.
(c) The music Wunsch taught her.
(d) Music she learned in Germany.
13. What kind of berries does Archie invite Thea to pick at his house?
14. With whom do Thea and Ray ride the train car?
(b) Thea's mother.
(c) Thea's father.
(d) Spanish Johnny.
15. What was the ultimate goal of Thea's studying of piano?
(a) So she could play in a band.
(b) So she could be a teacher.
(c) So she could find a boyfriend or husband.
(d) So she could be a famous piano performer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mrs. Lorch and Mrs. Anderson provide Thea?
2. Why does Archie invite Thor to visit Spanish Johnny?
3. Why are Thea's older brothers afraid of her return to Moonstone after she has been in Chicago?
4. What does Thea perform at the concert?
5. Where does Thea first discover "Orpheus"?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)