|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distinguished this species for Quammen? Wallace had discovered it there a hundred years ago. Darwin had developed his theory of evolve from observing it. Englishmen had lost their fortunes hunting for specimens.
2. What is the tone of the ending of the book?
3. What does Quammen say is distinctive about the indri?
4. When did Wilson and MacArthur publish 'An Equilibrium Theory of Insular Zoogeography'?
5. Who confirmed to Quammen that this site in fact existed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theory did Simberloff and Abele challenge in a 1976 article?
2. What did Simberloff and Abele propose as a result of their data?
3. What did MacArthur and Wilson argue in 'An Equilibrium Theory of Insular Zoogeography'?
4. How did Quammen get to Aru?
5. What does Quammen say about applying the case of the Mauritius kestrel to other species?
6. What is Quammen doing at the end of the book?
7. What data did Simberloff and Abele deploy in challenging this theory?
8. What is the definition of 'viable' in Quammen's account?
9. What was Quammen looking for at Aru?
10. What was the practical example of species management Quammen cited from Texas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is ecotourism a solution to the problem of species loss? Is tourism a competitor to enforce some constraints on commerce and development? Would the problem of species loss be remedied or worsened if people followed Quammen's example and traveled from one island to another witnessing the environmental degradation and stress on species?
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of 'The Song of the Dodo'. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)