|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Quammen describe about Bedo?
2. What did Wilson show Quammen when the two men visited?
3. What was Thomas Lovejoy's interest in the debate about the size of reserves and the number of species they support?
4. When was the concept of the minimum viable population introduced?
5. When did the Mauritius kestrel population begin to decline?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Quammen get to Aru?
2. What did people argue over in the wake of Simberloff and Abele's 1976 article?
3. How is the case of the muriqui different from the case of the Mauritius kestrel?
4. Why did Quammen choose Aru as the destination for his final chapter?
5. How does Quammen describe Bedo's death?
6. What conclusion dis scientists reach in the Texas case?
7. What note does Quammen end 'The Song of the Dodo' on?
8. What factors affected the populations on an island, according to 'An Equilibrium Theory of Insular Zoogeography'?
9. What did Lovejoy find in his studies on this question?
10. How do genetics play a role in the minimum viable population?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were going to try to make a difference in the field of rescuing species from extinction, what actions would you take, based on the information presented in this book? What strategies would you employ? What part of Quammen's book leads you to believe that this would be an effective strategy for mitigating species loss.
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of 'The Song of the Dodo'. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
Write a review of Quammen's 'The Song of the Dodo'. What does the book do, and what does it fail to do? What are its strengths? What are its weaknesses? Would you recommend it? What would you recommend it for?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)