|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Quammen say the indri's future looks like?
2. What does Lawrence Abele study?
3. How long did Wilson and MacArthur predict it would take for species to reach equilibrium on Krakatau?
4. What had happened to the smaller reserves in Lovejoy's plan?
5. What distinguished this species for Quammen? Wallace had discovered it there a hundred years ago. Darwin had developed his theory of evolve from observing it. Englishmen had lost their fortunes hunting for specimens.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Quammen describe the indri?
2. What did people argue over in the wake of Simberloff and Abele's 1976 article?
3. What did MacArthur and Wilson argue in 'An Equilibrium Theory of Insular Zoogeography'?
4. What other ecosystems function as islands and show the same properties of species population and diversity as islands, according to Quammen?
5. Where was Quammen sent, in order to find what he was looking for?
6. What factors affected the populations on an island, according to 'An Equilibrium Theory of Insular Zoogeography'?
7. What data did Simberloff and Abele deploy in challenging this theory?
8. What was the practical example of species management Quammen cited from Texas?
9. How did Quammen get to Aru?
10. How is the case of the muriqui different from the case of the Mauritius kestrel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were in charge of protecting the maximum number of species in your region, would you create one large nature reserve, or a number of smaller reserves? Use arguments from the book as well as descriptions of local wildlife in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Is ecotourism a solution to the problem of species loss? Is tourism a competitor to enforce some constraints on commerce and development? Would the problem of species loss be remedied or worsened if people followed Quammen's example and traveled from one island to another witnessing the environmental degradation and stress on species?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)