|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the dodo nest?
2. What does Quammen say Wallace developed in South America?
3. How does Quammen say lizards probably arrived at Krakatau?
4. When did the dodo go extinct?
5. What is the literary term that describes Quammen's addressing the reader directly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Quammen say about the overall pattern of the Persian rug?
2. What was the understanding about the variety of life forms before the theory of evolution came along?
3. List the attributes that govern the survivability of individual species in island ecosystems.
4. Describe how Quammen's narrative progresses from one idea to the next.
5. What is the first explanation Quammen offers for the relationship between island size and species count?
6. What was MacArthur and Wilson's contribution to island biogeography?
7. Describe Quammen's tone in the first chapter.
8. How did David Wallace make his start as a biologist, in Quammen's narrative?
9. What do we know about the dodo?
10. Describe the process by which scientists generate policies for managing ecosystems.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is ecotourism a solution to the problem of species loss? Is tourism a competitor to enforce some constraints on commerce and development? Would the problem of species loss be remedied or worsened if people followed Quammen's example and traveled from one island to another witnessing the environmental degradation and stress on species?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of the scientific methods used to measure and assess island biogeography. What do we gain by way of insight and understanding? What patterns or trends does the data fail to account for?
Essay Topic 3
Write a review of Quammen's 'The Song of the Dodo'. What does the book do, and what does it fail to do? What are its strengths? What are its weaknesses? Would you recommend it? What would you recommend it for?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)