|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did humans hurt the dodo population directly?
2. How does Quammen say islands are sometimes formed?
3. When did Krakatau erupt?
4. What does Quammen say Wallace developed in South America?
5. What doe Quammen say about this rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the process by which scientists generate policies for managing ecosystems.
2. What other Mauritius species does Quammen describe?
3. Describe how Quammen's narrative progresses from one idea to the next.
4. What took David Quammen to Madagascar?
5. What is dispersal ability and why is it important?
6. What is the difference between an isolate and a sample, according to Quammen?
7. What does Quammen say about the overall pattern of the Persian rug?
8. What was MacArthur and Wilson's contribution to island biogeography?
9. What is the first explanation Quammen offers for the relationship between island size and species count?
10. What example does Quammen draw from the island of Guam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 2
Is Quammen consistent from the beginning of 'The Song of the Dodo' to the end? What expectations does he establish in the beginning? Does he fulfill them, over the course of the book? Does he abandon or sidestep the question of conservation in his discussion of methods of analysis and study?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)