|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rule governs the relationship between the size of an island and the number of species it can support?
2. What does Quammen use as an example of an island?
3. Where did Wallace travel after the Amazon?
4. Who was Truganini?
5. What is the relationship Quammen develops between the imaginary rug and ecosystems?
Short Essay Questions
1. What practical assertion does Quammen say Frank Preston made based on his findings?
2. Describe Quammen's tone in the first chapter.
3. What is trophic cascade?
4. Why are islands important in ecosystem studies, in Quammen's opinion?
5. What factors have effectively broken the Persian rug of nature into pieces, according to Quammen?
6. What does Quammen say about the overall pattern of the Persian rug?
7. Describe how Quammen's narrative progresses from one idea to the next.
8. What example does Quammen draw from the island of Guam?
9. What other Mauritius species does Quammen describe?
10. Who is Frank Preston, and what was his contribution to the discussion of island size and species count?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of 'The Song of the Dodo'. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Is Quammen somehow at fault for not making solid proposals for how to mitigate switch loss? Is his informative book somehow flawed for failing to make recommendations? Debate this proposition using examples from the book.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)