|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through So Huge A Bignes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which scientist compared animals on islands with their counterparts on larger landmasses?
2. How long after the eruption did it take for 271 species to be counted at Krakatau?
(a) 50 years.
(b) 25 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 6 months.
3. What belief of Darwin's has modern science disproved?
(a) That traits a parent acquires during its life are passed down to its young.
(b) That evolve tends toward the perfection of each species.
(c) That science would fill in all the missing links in the evolutionary chain.
(d) That species can only react to their environmental conditions.
4. What traits did sailors notice in animals on remote islands?
(a) They were unafraid of humans, and thus easy prey.
(b) They were more varied than species on land.
(c) They were smaller and harder to observe than their counterparts on land.
(d) They adapted more quickly to environmental changes than animals on larger land masses.
5. What surprising dispersal ability does Quammen say elephants have?
(a) Ability to go without water for weeks.
(b) Ability to be carried in other animals' fur.
(c) Ability to swim long distances.
(d) Ability to be carried on wind currents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Robert Bates work with?
2. What is Lovejoy's term for the ecological crisis?
3. What does David Quammen invoke as he describes cutting the rug?
4. How does Quammen say lizards probably arrived at Krakatau?
5. What is the term that encompasses David Quammen's overall idea?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)