|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gretel relate the passage of seasons to?
2. What was a rancher's main job?
3. What did Gretel say winter was?
4. How much rain does Wyoming get in the fall and spring each year?
5. According to Gretel what two things were required of a cowboy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gretel look for when she was in New York and felt homesick for Wyoming?
2. Who was David?
3. According to Gretel what were residents of Wyoming always waiting for?
4. What fears did Gretel having when sheep herding?
5. Who did Gretel work with in Wyoming?
6. What did Gretel say that she discovered when herding sheep?
7. What happened during irrigating season?
8. How did the poet Seamus Henry describe landscape and earth?
9. What is the weather like during winter in Wyoming?
10. According to Gretel what did it mean to "be tough" on a ranch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gretel had a great appreciation for the people of Wyoming. Discuss this, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
This book is titled The Solace of Open Spaces. Discuss why you think Gretel chose that title.
Essay Topic 3
David was an important person in Gretel's life. Describe what David taught Gretel and what role he played in her life.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)