|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gretel say winter was?
2. According to Gretel what could a daily chore grow into?
3. How much did cowboys get paid a day?
4. What did Gretel say she gained from winter?
5. Where was most of a cowboy's work done?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gretel say she regained within herself when she began working with animals?
2. According to Gretel what did it mean to "be tough" on a ranch?
3. What did Gretel say living with animals made her redefine?
4. Why did Gretel go to Wyoming?
5. What did Gretel say that she discovered when herding sheep?
6. How did Gretel describe the passing of seasons?
7. According to Gretel what type of person was a cowboy?
8. How did the poet Seamus Henry describe landscape and earth?
9. What did Gretel look for when she was in New York and felt homesick for Wyoming?
10. Who did Gretel work with in Wyoming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book is titled The Solace of Open Spaces. Discuss why you think Gretel chose that title.
Essay Topic 2
David was an important person in Gretel's life. Describe what David taught Gretel and what role he played in her life.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Gretel's initial reaction to Wyoming, using examples from the book.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)