|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gretel say animals didn't care about?
2. What did Gretel look for when she was in New York and missing Wyoming?
3. What were the names of Gretel's crew members?
4. What did Gretel say winter was?
5. What direction did the doors of Gretel's wagon face?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gretel say living with animals made her redefine?
2. What did Gretel say she regained within herself when she began working with animals?
3. According to Gretel what type of person was a cowboy?
4. How did Gretel describe the passing of seasons?
5. What was an animal's job on a ranch?
6. According to Gretel what were residents of Wyoming always waiting for?
7. According to Gretel what did it mean to "be tough" on a ranch?
8. How did the poet Seamus Henry describe landscape and earth?
9. What is the weather like during winter in Wyoming?
10. Why did Gretel go to Wyoming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book is titled The Solace of Open Spaces. Discuss why you think Gretel chose that title.
Essay Topic 2
Indian ceremonies held great religious meaning to them. Discuss the meaning that the Indians placed on their ceremonies.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Gretel learned about respecting animals while working on the ranch.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)