|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a friend of Gretel's teach his dog to do?
2. In what year did Gretel first arrive in Wyoming?
3. According to Gretel what two things were required of a cowboy?
4. What did Gretel say animals held her to?
5. What word did Gretel use to describe the inside of John's trailer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Gretel work with in Wyoming?
2. How did Gretel feel when she was left alone to herd the sheep?
3. What is the weather like during winter in Wyoming?
4. How did the poet Seamus Henry describe landscape and earth?
5. What happened during irrigating season?
6. What were John's feelings on coyotes?
7. According to Gretel what were residents of Wyoming always waiting for?
8. Why did Gretel go to Wyoming?
9. What fears did Gretel having when sheep herding?
10. Who was David?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think the quote "landscape is sacramental, to be read as text" meant to Gretel?
Essay Topic 2
Indian ceremonies held great religious meaning to them. Discuss the meaning that the Indians placed on their ceremonies.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Gretel's feelings regarding ranch work. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)