|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Gretel's first job in Wyoming?
2. What impact did the downfall of a big ranch have on it's employees?
3. Where was Gretel herding the sheep to at the beginning of the book?
4. What was Gretel's original motive for moving to Wyoming?
5. How much debt were the owners of the largest ranch in Wyoming in when they sold it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gretel experience when she arrived in Wyoming?
2. How did John react to the open space of Wyoming?
3. How did those working in the lambing shed try to make a ewe believe that an orphaned lamb was hers?
4. What is the landscape of Wyoming like?
5. How did the owners of the largest ranch in Wyoming feel as their ranch was being auctioned off?
6. Who was Henry Tucker?
7. What tools were given to cowboys and sheepherders?
8. How were the workers on a ranch treated by the ranch owner?
9. What is the biggest characteristic of the landscape in Wyoming?
10. What were the lambing sheds like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Gretel got married she toasted to the end of loneliness, but didn't really believe that it would be so. Discuss why Gretel felt that way.
Essay Topic 2
Gretel had a great appreciation for the people of Wyoming. Discuss this, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
When Gretel went to New York she felt very homesick for Wyoming. Describe Gretel's feelings while she was in New York.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)