|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which three sheepherders wanted their wagons moved during lambing season?
2. What did Ben live in?
3. What did Cliff want to be?
4. Where was Gretel herding the sheep to at the beginning of the book?
5. How many sheep where there to lamb out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gretel say that things happened in Wyoming?
2. Why was John's nickname high pockets?
3. How were the workers on a ranch treated by the ranch owner?
4. What is the biggest characteristic of the landscape in Wyoming?
5. How did the owners of the largest ranch in Wyoming feel as their ranch was being auctioned off?
6. What was Gretel's original motive when moving to Wyoming?
7. What is the landscape of Wyoming like?
8. How did those working in the lambing shed try to make a ewe believe that an orphaned lamb was hers?
9. What was a big ranch like?
10. What tools were given to cowboys and sheepherders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Gretel's feelings regarding ranch work. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
David was an important person in Gretel's life. Describe what David taught Gretel and what role he played in her life.
Essay Topic 3
Cowboys were very independent and strong people. Discuss what Gretel learned about cowboys, using examples from the book.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)