|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which three sheepherders wanted their wagons moved during lambing season?
2. What mountain was Gretel herding the sheep past?
3. How long does winter last in Wyoming?
4. What was the population of Wyoming when Gretel moved there?
5. Who was Dorothy's boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tools were given to cowboys and sheepherders?
2. How did those working in the lambing shed try to make a ewe believe that an orphaned lamb was hers?
3. What were the lambing sheds like?
4. How did the owners of the largest ranch in Wyoming feel as their ranch was being auctioned off?
5. How were the workers on a ranch treated by the ranch owner?
6. What did Gretel experience when she arrived in Wyoming?
7. What is the biggest characteristic of the landscape in Wyoming?
8. Who was Henry Tucker?
9. Why did Ben live 20 miles outside of town?
10. How did John react to the open space of Wyoming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Gretel's feelings about Wyoming after she had lived there for 4 years.
Essay Topic 2
When Gretel arrived in Wyoming she stated that she felt raw inside and wanted to escape. Discuss what she meant by this.
Essay Topic 3
Gretel described the man that became her husband as a cultural straddle. Explain what you think she meant by that term.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)