|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness prevented Ben from working?
2. How many places in Wyoming could be called cities when Gretel moved there?
3. When was the auction for the largest ranch in Wyoming held?
4. How many sheep where there to lamb out?
5. What type of personality did Dorothy have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the owners of the largest ranch in Wyoming feel as their ranch was being auctioned off?
2. What was Gretel's original motive when moving to Wyoming?
3. What did Gretel experience when she arrived in Wyoming?
4. Why did Gretel feel that to live and work in Wyoming was to lose distinction of background and foreground?
5. How did Gretel say that things happened in Wyoming?
6. Who was Henry Tucker?
7. How were the workers on a ranch treated by the ranch owner?
8. What is winter in Wyoming like?
9. What did Gretel say a person's life in Wyoming was like?
10. How did John react to the open space of Wyoming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gretel described the man that became her husband as a cultural straddle. Explain what you think she meant by that term.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Gretel learned about respecting animals while working on the ranch.
Essay Topic 3
When Gretel got married she toasted to the end of loneliness, but didn't really believe that it would be so. Discuss why Gretel felt that way.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)