|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the irrigating season in Wyoming?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 5 months.
(d) 4 months.
2. Why did Gretel originally go to Wyoming?
(a) To escape her life.
(b) To become a rancher.
(c) To film a documentary.
(d) To become a sheep herder.
3. What did Gretel encounter up the valley when she was herding?
(a) Quick sand.
(b) Fenced in oil spills.
(c) Huge mud puddles.
4. What was the name of a neighboring rancher who was in his seventies?
(a) Mike Hinckley.
(b) Frank Hinckley.
(c) John Hinckley.
(d) Steve Hinckley.
5. What did Seamus Henry say about landscape?
(a) That it was beautiful
(b) That is was ugly.
(c) That it was sacramental.
(d) That it was clean.
6. What did Gretel say animals held her to?
(a) To be thankful.
(b) What was present.
(d) The future.
7. How much did cowboys get paid a day?
8. What word did Gretel use to describe the inside of John's trailer?
9. What Jane Fonda movie did Gretel mention in Chapter 4?
(b) The Alamo.
(c) Electric Horseman.
(d) 3:10 to Yuma.
10. What did Gretel previously do in her sleep?
(b) Have dreams.
(c) Have nightmares.
(d) Toss and turn.
11. Who quit at the beginning of Chapter 5?
12. How often did the dams have to be changed?
(a) Every 8 hours.
(b) Every 12 hours.
(c) Every 6 hours.
(d) Every 10 hours.
13. What did a friend of Gretel's teach his dog to do?
(a) Warn him when danger was approaching.
(b) Jump onto the saddle.
(c) Herd sheep.
(d) Run next to the horse.
14. Where did Gretel move after a month in Wyoming?
(a) The barn on the ranch.
(b) A spare room in John's home.
(c) An apartment in town.
(d) A different motel.
15. What job did the neighboring rancher prefer?
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was the motel that Gretel stayed in when she first arrived in Wyoming?
2. How much rain does Wyoming get in the fall and spring each year?
3. What did Gretel say made Westerners distrustful of outsiders?
4. Why did Gretel believe that cowboys were "strong and silent"?
5. What animal visited Gretel's sheep camp every night?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)