Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following men was destroyed for his talent?
2. Which of the following aspects of Juvenal's life did Persicus investigate?
3. Which of the following crimes did Persicus accuse Juvenal of committing?
4. Juvenal opined that just as adults cleaned their homes, they should also clean which of the following?
5. Which of the following actions did Juvenal label as "pointless and destructive"?
Essay Topic 1
Postumus is Juvenal's friend who seeks advice about marriage. How does Postumus feel about marriage when he speaks with Juvenal? What advise about women did Juvenal give to Postumus during their conversation? According to Juvenal, what are the best types of wives to have? Which are the worst? Based on the advice that Juvenal gives, do you think that he is directing Postumus toward a happy or unhappy marriage? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 2
When Trebius attends Virro's dinner party, he is shocked by the treatment that he receives. What segments of Virro's dinner party did Trebius find most startling? When discussing the party with Juvenal later, how did their opinions of the events differ? What point did Juvenal try to make about society by citing Trebius' experience at Virro's dinner party?
Essay Topic 3
When Juvenal is discussing women with Postumus, he uses many famous women from the pages of history as examples to support his arguments, specifically Medea, Clytemnestra, Procne, Eriphyle, and Danaids. Choose two of those women, and compare/contrast their relationships with men. What point is Juvenal trying to make by using each of those women as examples in his arguments? How does the behavior of those women compare/contrast with the behavior of the women whom Juvenal sees in his society today?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)