|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Juvenal, how did the gods react when men cried out for money?
2. In Juvenal's opinion, well-raised children would grow into which of the following?
3. Which of the following was Blandus' first name?
4. How many children did Naevolus father with his lover's wife?
5. Which of the following actions did Juvenal label as "pointless and destructive"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Naevolus' appearance change over the course of his friendship with Juvenal?
2. Why did Juvenal think that it was impossible for rich men to keep secrets?
3. According to Juvenal, what changed about humanity in the Ninth Age of Manhood?
4. What bad behavior did daughters learn specifically from their mothers?
5. In what ways did the goddess Fortune come into play in Catullus' story?
6. What typically happened to the men who were brave enough to borrow money from Rome?
7. What example did the father who built buildings in Satire XIV set for his son?
8. According to Juvenal, why was the prayer for long life a foolish one?
9. Why was Juvenal's celebration called into question by the legacy hunters?
10. Which common behavior did Juvenal claim to be a degradation to pedigree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Crispinus is acting as a fish monger, he makes a very lucky catch. First, explain how Crispinus managed to catch his prize. Then, explain how the prize made its way to the Emperor's table. Finally, explain how Rome, as a whole, was affected by the prize that Crispinus pulled out of the water.
Essay Topic 2
Postumus is Juvenal's friend who seeks advice about marriage. How does Postumus feel about marriage when he speaks with Juvenal? What advise about women did Juvenal give to Postumus during their conversation? According to Juvenal, what are the best types of wives to have? Which are the worst? Based on the advice that Juvenal gives, do you think that he is directing Postumus toward a happy or unhappy marriage? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 3
The people of Rome are pray devoutly. First, describe at least three different types of prayers practiced by the people of Rome. Which gods to they pray to for each type of prayer? Are those prayers usually effective? Why or why not? Which type of prayers does Juvenal think are the most effective? Why?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)