Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following men was destroyed for his talent?
2. Which of the following aspects of Juvenal's life did Persicus investigate?
3. Which of the following crimes did Persicus accuse Juvenal of committing?
4. Juvenal opined that just as adults cleaned their homes, they should also clean which of the following?
5. Which of the following actions did Juvenal label as "pointless and destructive"?
Essay Topic 1
As the Satires begin, Juvenal immediately begins to lambaste anyone who attempts to write poetry, even though he considers himself a poet. How does Juvenal feel that the public handles poetry? In his opinion, is poetry worth writing? Why or why not? Finally, explain what Juvenal's argument tells the reader about his personality.
Essay Topic 2
The people of Rome are pray devoutly. First, describe at least three different types of prayers practiced by the people of Rome. Which gods to they pray to for each type of prayer? Are those prayers usually effective? Why or why not? Which type of prayers does Juvenal think are the most effective? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Juvenal's friend, Umbricius, is determined to not move away from Rome. Why does Umbricius feel that he must leave Rome? How does Juvenal react to Umbricius' move? Given the political state of Rome, which man's argument merits more of your empathy? Why?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)