|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT something that Juvenal believed that all men should know about themselves?
2. Where did Naevolus work before leaving his job?
3. Which of the following events typically involved gourmands?
4. In which building did Juvenal suggest that Calvinus spend a few days in order to get some perspective on his life?
5. During which age of mankind did Juvenal live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event changed the way that Virro treated Naevolous, generating a change in his appearance?
2. Why did Juvenal think that it was impossible for rich men to keep secrets?
3. According to Juvenal, why was the prayer for long life a foolish one?
4. Why was Juvenal's celebration called into question by the legacy hunters?
5. How did Catullus survive a sinking ship?
6. Who was Rutilus, and what bad habit was he teaching his son?
7. Why was Juvenal so proud of Catullus' actions?
8. What example did the father who built buildings in Satire XIV set for his son?
9. How did Naevolus' appearance change over the course of his friendship with Juvenal?
10. What type of dinner party did Juvenal host when his friend Persicus went to visit him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Trebius attends Virro's dinner party, he is shocked by the treatment that he receives. What segments of Virro's dinner party did Trebius find most startling? When discussing the party with Juvenal later, how did their opinions of the events differ? What point did Juvenal try to make about society by citing Trebius' experience at Virro's dinner party?
Essay Topic 2
Juvenal has a lot to say about political ambition, and the ambition for power. How does Juvenal feel about the men who seek political power? What are the benefits of political power? What are the drawbacks? Juvenal uses two men as prime examples in his argument about political power- -Cicero and Demosthenes. Describe each of those men, and their pursuit for power. Were the men successful, or did they fail in their pursuits?
Essay Topic 3
In Satire XI, Juvenal hosts a dinner party for friends. First, describe the type of food and drink that Juvenal serves at his party. How does that serving compare/contrast to the meal served at Virro's dinner party in Satire V? What did Juvenal hope to accomplish by hosting that party? Do you think that he was successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)