Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following men was destroyed for his talent?
2. Which of the following aspects of Juvenal's life did Persicus investigate?
3. Which of the following crimes did Persicus accuse Juvenal of committing?
4. Juvenal opined that just as adults cleaned their homes, they should also clean which of the following?
5. Which of the following actions did Juvenal label as "pointless and destructive"?
Essay Topic 1
In Satire V, Juvenal describes the events of a typical dinner party at Virro's home. How does Virro's treatment of important guests and less important guests differ at his fancy dinner party? How does Virro's dinner party exemplify the complex relationship between clients and patrons in Rome?
Essay Topic 2
In Satire XI, Juvenal hosts a dinner party for friends. First, describe the type of food and drink that Juvenal serves at his party. How does that serving compare/contrast to the meal served at Virro's dinner party in Satire V? What did Juvenal hope to accomplish by hosting that party? Do you think that he was successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In Satire I, Juvenal begins his speech with a disclaimer about the people whom he will and will not protect in his arguments. First, explain why you think that Juvenal felt the need to place that disclaimer at the beginning of the book. Then, explain whether Juvenal adhered to his word. Did he attack anyone personally? If so, whom? If not, do you think that his satires were as effective as they could have been, had he been a more attacking type of speaker?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)