|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Satire XIV, which of the following crimes did Juvenal accuse Rutilus of committing?
2. Which herb did Juvenal advise Naevolus to chew as an aphrodisiac?
3. According to Juvenal, how did the gods react when men cried out for money?
4. To which goddess did women pray in the hope of giving birth to attractive children?
5. On which of the following did the father in Satire XIV spend all of his money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comparison did Juvenal make of the morality of his day to the morality of ancient days?
2. Why was Juvenal so proud of Catullus' actions?
3. According to Juvenal, why was the prayer for long life a foolish one?
4. What type of relationship did Naevolus have with Virro?
5. How did Naevolus' appearance change over the course of his friendship with Juvenal?
6. Which common behavior did Juvenal claim to be a degradation to pedigree?
7. Who were Demosthenes and Circero?
8. Who was Rebellius Blandus, and why did Juvenal think that he was such a dishonorable man?
9. What was Juvenal's response to Calvinus' financial plight?
10. What example did the father who built buildings in Satire XIV set for his son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Crispinus is acting as a fish monger, he makes a very lucky catch. First, explain how Crispinus managed to catch his prize. Then, explain how the prize made its way to the Emperor's table. Finally, explain how Rome, as a whole, was affected by the prize that Crispinus pulled out of the water.
Essay Topic 2
When Trebius attends Virro's dinner party, he is shocked by the treatment that he receives. What segments of Virro's dinner party did Trebius find most startling? When discussing the party with Juvenal later, how did their opinions of the events differ? What point did Juvenal try to make about society by citing Trebius' experience at Virro's dinner party?
Essay Topic 3
The people of Rome are pray devoutly. First, describe at least three different types of prayers practiced by the people of Rome. Which gods to they pray to for each type of prayer? Are those prayers usually effective? Why or why not? Which type of prayers does Juvenal think are the most effective? Why?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)