|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following men was destroyed for his talent?
2. According to Juvenal, which of the following types of men would a good ruler NOT torment?
3. Which of the following prayers did Juvenal consider to be pointless?
4. Which of the following facts did Juvenal NOT brag about over his dinner with Persicus?
5. Where did Naevolus work before leaving his job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Catullus survive a sinking ship?
2. How did Naevolus' appearance change over the course of his friendship with Juvenal?
3. Why did Juvenal think that it was impossible for rich men to keep secrets?
4. In what ways did the goddess Fortune come into play in Catullus' story?
5. Who were Demosthenes and Circero?
6. What type of relationship did Fuscinus' son have with his wife?
7. What event changed the way that Virro treated Naevolous, generating a change in his appearance?
8. What type of dinner party did Juvenal host when his friend Persicus went to visit him?
9. Why was Juvenal so proud of Catullus' actions?
10. What type of relationship did Naevolus have with Virro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Juvenal is discussing women with Postumus, he uses many famous women from the pages of history as examples to support his arguments, specifically Medea, Clytemnestra, Procne, Eriphyle, and Danaids. Choose two of those women, and compare/contrast their relationships with men. What point is Juvenal trying to make by using each of those women as examples in his arguments? How does the behavior of those women compare/contrast with the behavior of the women whom Juvenal sees in his society today?
Essay Topic 2
Juvenal has very clear impressions about women. First, describe what Juvenal believes to have the capability of igniting a woman's passion. How does that passion affect the way that a woman treats her husband? How does it affect the way that she treats a lover? Is there anything in Juvenal's history that provides a deeper insight into his views on women? If so, what? If not, why do you think that Juvenal keeps that part of his life secretive?
Essay Topic 3
Naevolus is a friend of Juvenal's who is living a life that lacks Juvenal's approval. First, describe Naevolus' physicality. How has his appearance changed over the course of his relationship with Juvenal? What part of Naevolus' life has led to the change in his appearance? How does Juvenal feel about the life changes that Naevolus has undergone?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)