|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which goddess did women pray in the hope of giving birth to attractive children?
2. Which of the following prayers did Juvenal consider to be pointless?
3. Which of the following groups of people questioned Juvenal's motives upon Catullus' return?
4. What type of plates did soldiers eat off of at Juvenal's dinner party?
5. Which of the following item types concerned gourmands the most?
Essay Topic 1
As the Satires begin, Juvenal immediately begins to lambaste anyone who attempts to write poetry, even though he considers himself a poet. How does Juvenal feel that the public handles poetry? In his opinion, is poetry worth writing? Why or why not? Finally, explain what Juvenal's argument tells the reader about his personality.
Essay Topic 2
Postumus is Juvenal's friend who seeks advice about marriage. How does Postumus feel about marriage when he speaks with Juvenal? What advise about women did Juvenal give to Postumus during their conversation? According to Juvenal, what are the best types of wives to have? Which are the worst? Based on the advice that Juvenal gives, do you think that he is directing Postumus toward a happy or unhappy marriage? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 3
When Crispinus is acting as a fish monger, he makes a very lucky catch. First, explain how Crispinus managed to catch his prize. Then, explain how the prize made its way to the Emperor's table. Finally, explain how Rome, as a whole, was affected by the prize that Crispinus pulled out of the water.
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)