|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT something that Juvenal believed that all men should know about themselves?
2. Which of the following men did Juvenal compare to Nero?
3. Where did Naevolus work before leaving his job?
4. Which of the following events typically involved gourmands?
5. On which of the following did the father in Satire XIV spend all of his money?
Essay Topic 1
When Trebius attends Virro's dinner party, he is shocked by the treatment that he receives. What segments of Virro's dinner party did Trebius find most startling? When discussing the party with Juvenal later, how did their opinions of the events differ? What point did Juvenal try to make about society by citing Trebius' experience at Virro's dinner party?
Essay Topic 2
As the Satires begin, Juvenal immediately begins to lambaste anyone who attempts to write poetry, even though he considers himself a poet. How does Juvenal feel that the public handles poetry? In his opinion, is poetry worth writing? Why or why not? Finally, explain what Juvenal's argument tells the reader about his personality.
Essay Topic 3
Juvenal has very clear impressions about women. First, describe what Juvenal believes to have the capability of igniting a woman's passion. How does that passion affect the way that a woman treats her husband? How does it affect the way that she treats a lover? Is there anything in Juvenal's history that provides a deeper insight into his views on women? If so, what? If not, why do you think that Juvenal keeps that part of his life secretive?
This section contains 1,381 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)