|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following prayers did Juvenal consider to be pointless?
2. Which of the following illnesses threatened to destroy Pompey?
3. Why did people in Rome mock gourmands?
4. Which religion did Juvenal claim to be "a vice disguised as virtue"?
5. In Juvenal's opinion, how did the morals of ancient men compare to the morals of modern men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were gourmands regularly mocked?
2. What type of dinner party did Juvenal host when his friend Persicus went to visit him?
3. What happened to Calvinus' fortune, and what was his reaction?
4. According to Juvenal, why was the prayer for long life a foolish one?
5. Which common behavior did Juvenal claim to be a degradation to pedigree?
6. Who was Rutilus, and what bad habit was he teaching his son?
7. What type of relationship did Naevolus have with Virro?
8. What was Juvenal's response to Calvinus' financial plight?
9. How did Juvenal determine which men were good rulers?
10. How did Catullus survive a sinking ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Juvenal has very strong opinions about Roman teachers, their pupils, and the pupils' parents. First, describe the role that teachers play in Roman society. Then, compare/contrast the way that teachers are treated by their students with the way that they are treated by their students' parents. What is Juvenal's reaction to the treatment that teachers in Rome receive? Do you agree with his position? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Juvenal has a lot to say about political ambition, and the ambition for power. How does Juvenal feel about the men who seek political power? What are the benefits of political power? What are the drawbacks? Juvenal uses two men as prime examples in his argument about political power- -Cicero and Demosthenes. Describe each of those men, and their pursuit for power. Were the men successful, or did they fail in their pursuits?
Essay Topic 3
Postumus is Juvenal's friend who seeks advice about marriage. How does Postumus feel about marriage when he speaks with Juvenal? What advise about women did Juvenal give to Postumus during their conversation? According to Juvenal, what are the best types of wives to have? Which are the worst? Based on the advice that Juvenal gives, do you think that he is directing Postumus toward a happy or unhappy marriage? How can you tell?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)