|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Calvinus lose in Satire XIII?
2. How was the Spartan who is convicted of embezzlement punished?
3. Which of the following crimes was NOT committed by Calvinus?
4. In which building did Juvenal suggest that Calvinus spend a few days in order to get some perspective on his life?
5. From whom did Juvenal believe children learn bad morals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were gourmands regularly mocked?
2. Which common behavior did Juvenal claim to be a degradation to pedigree?
3. What type of relationship did Naevolus have with Virro?
4. Why did Juvenal think that it was impossible for rich men to keep secrets?
5. What bad behavior did daughters learn specifically from their mothers?
6. What typically happened to the men who were brave enough to borrow money from Rome?
7. How did Naevolus' appearance change over the course of his friendship with Juvenal?
8. Why was Juvenal's celebration called into question by the legacy hunters?
9. According to Juvenal, what changed about humanity in the Ninth Age of Manhood?
10. What happened to Calvinus' fortune, and what was his reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Juvenal has very strong opinions about Roman teachers, their pupils, and the pupils' parents. First, describe the role that teachers play in Roman society. Then, compare/contrast the way that teachers are treated by their students with the way that they are treated by their students' parents. What is Juvenal's reaction to the treatment that teachers in Rome receive? Do you agree with his position? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout his writings, Juvenal voices his opinions about wealth and evil. First, compare/contrast the different ways that both rich and poor can be corrupted by wealth. What is the same about the two types of corruption? What is different? Upon comparing/contrasting the corruption of those two classes, cite which group seems more likely to be corrupted? Are you able to detect the reflection of your position in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Naevolus is a friend of Juvenal's who is living a life that lacks Juvenal's approval. First, describe Naevolus' physicality. How has his appearance changed over the course of his relationship with Juvenal? What part of Naevolus' life has led to the change in his appearance? How does Juvenal feel about the life changes that Naevolus has undergone?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)