|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who called on Blandus to earn the respect of the town through his actions?
(b) Cossutianus Capito.
2. Which of the following item types concerned gourmands the most?
(d) Precious metals.
3. To which goddess did women pray in the hope of giving birth to attractive children?
4. What did Juvenal claim to be the only fear that Roman men had?
(b) The wrath of the gods.
(c) Sexual immorality.
5. Which of the following adjectives did Juvenal use to describe men who spent their lives in squalor only to die millionaires?
6. Where was the wine that Juvenal served at his dinner party produced?
7. Which of the following did the captain of the sinking ship trust for safety?
(b) The gods.
(c) The crew.
(d) The wind.
8. Which of the following crimes did Persicus accuse Juvenal of committing?
9. Which of the following did Juvenal order in celebration for Catallus' safe return?
(a) A round of beers at the saloon.
(b) An offering to the gods.
(c) Flowers planted at the harbor.
(d) The erection of a Maypole.
10. Which of the following was Blandus' first name?
11. How did the son who inherited the money in Satire XIV treat it?
(a) He squandered it.
(b) He saved it.
(c) He invested it.
(d) He tithed it.
12. Which of the following words did Juvenal use to describe the negative effect that inheritances had on an individual?
13. What type of material did men in Rome use to construct their tables before the city grew rich from war?
(a) Pounded metal.
(b) Large stones.
(c) Baked mud.
(d) Fallen trees.
14. Which of the following prayers did Juvenal consider to be pointless?
(a) The prayer for good health.
(b) The prayer for long life.
(c) The prayer for wisdom.
(d) The prayer for wealth.
15. What type of plates did soldiers eat off of at Juvenal's dinner party?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following actions did Juvenal label as "pointless and destructive"?
2. The Tagres and the Pactolus referred to which of the following?
3. What bad habit did Juvenal claim that daughters specifically learned from their mothers?
4. Who was Naevolus' lover?
5. Which of the following groups of people questioned Juvenal's motives upon Catullus' return?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)