|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following men did Juvenal compare to Nero?
2. Which of the following crimes was NOT committed by Calvinus?
(a) Setting fire to his hallway.
(b) Hiring thugs.
(c) Lusting for a married woman.
(d) Stealing from the shrines.
3. Which of the following events typically involved gourmands?
(a) Dice roll.
(b) Lion hunt.
(c) Deep sea fishing.
(d) Gladiator fight.
4. Why did Virro want Naevolus killed?
(a) For betraying him.
(b) For stealing from him.
(c) For lying to him.
(d) For threatening him.
5. On which of the following did the father in Satire XIV spend all of his money?
(d) His son's education.
6. During which age of mankind did Juvenal live?
(a) The Sixth Age.
(b) The Ninth Age.
(c) The Seventh Age.
(d) The Eighth Age.
7. Which of the following characteristics was Blandus' only claim to nobility?
(a) His wealth.
(b) His virtue.
(c) His pedigree.
(d) His title.
8. Where was the wine that Juvenal served at his dinner party produced?
9. In which building did Juvenal suggest that Calvinus spend a few days in order to get some perspective on his life?
(a) The courthouse.
(b) The jail.
(c) The church.
(d) The hospital.
10. Which of the following prayers did Juvenal consider to be pointless?
(a) The prayer for wisdom.
(b) The prayer for wealth.
(c) The prayer for good health.
(d) The prayer for long life.
11. What did Juvenal claim to be the single force that ruled mankind?
12. How was the Spartan who is convicted of embezzlement punished?
(a) He was forced into slavery.
(b) He was banished.
(c) He was killed.
(d) He was sent to the stocks.
13. Which of the following did Catullus throw overboard to prevent the ship from sinking?
(c) The anchor.
(d) His belongings.
14. Which of the following adjectives did Juvenal use to describe Blandus?
15. In Juvenal's opinion, well-raised children would grow into which of the following?
(a) God-fearing people.
(b) Fine citizens.
(c) Soldiers for Rome.
(d) Better parents themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Juvenal claim to be the true test of nobility?
2. What was the name of the father of Alexander the Great?
3. What changed in Naevolus' appearance during the time that he and Juvenal were friends?
4. Juvenal opined that just as adults cleaned their homes, they should also clean which of the following?
5. Which of the following item types concerned gourmands the most?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)