|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did Juvenal claim to be the true test of nobility?
2. How much money did Calvinus lose in Satire XIII?
3. How was the Spartan who is convicted of embezzlement punished?
(a) He was killed.
(b) He was banished.
(c) He was forced into slavery.
(d) He was sent to the stocks.
4. Which of the following prayers did Juvenal consider to be pointless?
(a) The prayer for long life.
(b) The prayer for wealth.
(c) The prayer for good health.
(d) The prayer for wisdom.
5. How did Pompey finally die?
(a) He drowned.
(b) He fell to his death.
(c) He was decapitated.
(d) He was poisoned.
6. Which of the following men had the lavish garden Juvenal spoke of in Satire XIV?
7. When Juvenal heard that Catullus was returning home, he said that that day was happier than which other day?
(a) New Year's Day.
(c) His birthday.
8. According to Juvenal, which type of envy would get a man overthrown quickly?
(a) Envy of love.
(b) Envy of heirs.
(c) Envy of wealth.
(d) Envy of power.
9. In Juvenal's opinion, how did the morals of ancient men compare to the morals of modern men?
(a) Morals were equally lax in both ancient and modern times.
(b) Morals are stricter in modern times.
(c) Morals were stricter in ancient times.
(d) Morals were equally strict in both ancient and modern times.
10. Which of the following adjectives did Juvenal use to describe men who spent their lives in squalor only to die millionaires?
11. What did Juvenal think would happen to Fuscinus' wealthy daughter-in-law?
(a) Her husband would kill her.
(b) Her husband would ignore her.
(c) Her husband would cheat on her.
(d) Her husband would divorce her.
12. Who was Naevolus' lover?
13. Which of the following men did Juvenal compare to Nero?
14. What was the name of the father of Alexander the Great?
15. Which of the following acts did Juvenal consider to be a degradation to heritage?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following facts did Juvenal NOT brag about over his dinner with Persicus?
2. Who did Catullus claim to have smiled on the ship on the day of its sinking?
3. Which of the following men froze when the ship he was riding began to sink?
4. In Juvenal's opinion, well-raised children would grow into which of the following?
5. Which of the following was Blandus' first name?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)