|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did Catullus throw overboard to prevent the ship from sinking?
(c) The anchor.
(d) His belongings.
2. Which of the following acts did Juvenal consider to be a degradation to heritage?
3. During Juvenal's age of mankind, what did he claim to not have a mental base in men?
4. Which of the following did the captain of the sinking ship trust for safety?
(a) The crew.
(b) The gods.
(d) The wind.
5. What did Juvenal think would happen to Fuscinus' wealthy daughter-in-law?
(a) Her husband would divorce her.
(b) Her husband would ignore her.
(c) Her husband would cheat on her.
(d) Her husband would kill her.
6. During the reign of which of the following were many Romans separated from their wealth and their assets seized?
7. How did Pompey finally die?
(a) He drowned.
(b) He was poisoned.
(c) He fell to his death.
(d) He was decapitated.
8. How did the son who inherited the money in Satire XIV treat it?
(a) He squandered it.
(b) He invested it.
(c) He saved it.
(d) He tithed it.
9. How many sons did Catullus have?
10. Which of the following words did Juvenal use to describe the negative effect that inheritances had on an individual?
11. Which of the following characteristics was Blandus' only claim to nobility?
(a) His pedigree.
(b) His wealth.
(c) His title.
(d) His virtue.
12. According to Juvenal, which of the following types of men would a good ruler NOT torment?
(a) Noble men.
(b) Desperate men.
(c) Guilty men.
(d) Virtuous men.
13. How many children did Naevolus father with his lover's wife?
14. Which herb did Juvenal advise Naevolus to chew as an aphrodisiac?
(c) Gai Lan.
15. How did Calvinus feel about the money that he had lost?
(a) He was confused.
(b) He was angered.
(c) He was devastated.
(d) He was apathetic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of material did men in Rome use to construct their tables before the city grew rich from war?
2. Who was Naevolus' lover?
3. With which of the following friends did Juvenal rejoice over Catullus' return?
4. According to Juvenal, which type of envy would get a man overthrown quickly?
5. Which of the following prayers did Juvenal consider to be pointless?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)