|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Calvinus feel about the money that he had lost?
(a) He was confused.
(b) He was devastated.
(c) He was apathetic.
(d) He was angered.
2. Which of the following did the captain of the sinking ship trust for safety?
(a) The wind.
(b) The gods.
(c) The crew.
3. Which of the following gift requests was denied to Naevolus by his lover?
4. According to Juvenal, which of the following types of men would a good ruler NOT torment?
(a) Virtuous men.
(b) Guilty men.
(c) Noble men.
(d) Desperate men.
5. What bad habit did Juvenal claim that daughters specifically learned from their mothers?
6. Who called on Blandus to earn the respect of the town through his actions?
(d) Cossutianus Capito.
7. On which of the following did the father in Satire XIV spend all of his money?
(c) His son's education.
8. How did Naevolus' lover react to the news that his wife was pregnant by another man?
(a) He is proud.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is irate.
(d) He is apathetic.
9. Schoolboys in Juvenal's village prayed for the eloquence of which of the following?
10. Why did Virro want Naevolus killed?
(a) For betraying him.
(b) For stealing from him.
(c) For threatening him.
(d) For lying to him.
11. Which of the following was NOT something that Juvenal believed that all men should know about themselves?
(a) The limits of their talent.
(b) Their financial standings.
(c) Their love for a spouse.
(d) Their religious salvation.
12. According to Juvenal, from whom could a virtuous man borrow heritage?
(a) From his heart.
(b) From his neighbor.
(c) From nobility.
(d) From the gods.
13. Which of the following words did Juvenal use to describe the negative effect that inheritances had on an individual?
14. Which of the following men experienced a Divine blessing that nullified all of his immoral actions?
15. Where was the wine that Juvenal served at his dinner party produced?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Juvenal, which of the following flower types drew men naturally?
2. The Tagres and the Pactolus referred to which of the following?
3. Juvenal opined that just as adults cleaned their homes, they should also clean which of the following?
4. According to Juvenal, how did the gods react when men cried out for money?
5. Which of the following did Juvenal claim to be the true test of nobility?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)