|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Juvenal heard that Catullus was returning home, he said that that day was happier than which other day?
(a) New Year's Day.
(d) His birthday.
2. Which herb did Juvenal advise Naevolus to chew as an aphrodisiac?
(d) Gai Lan.
3. In Juvenal's opinion, which form of inheritance was most dangerous?
4. Why did many men who borrowed money from Rome flee the city?
(a) To avoid paying back their debts.
(b) To hide the shame of borrowing.
(c) To imply that they were wealthy to those outside of Rome.
(d) To spend the money that they borrowed in an entrepreneurial way.
5. Which of the following men did Juvenal compare to Nero?
6. Which of the following words did Juvenal use to describe the negative effect that inheritances had on an individual?
7. What was the name of the famous gourmand in Satire XI?
8. Which of the following characteristics was Blandus' only claim to nobility?
(a) His title.
(b) His virtue.
(c) His pedigree.
(d) His wealth.
9. What did Calvinus want to happen to the man who had stolen his money?
(a) He wanted him executed.
(b) He wanted him jailed.
(c) He wanted him beaten.
(d) He wanted him banished.
10. Which of the following did Juvenal claim to be the true test of nobility?
11. How many children did Naevolus father with his lover's wife?
12. What did Juvenal claim to be the single force that ruled mankind?
13. During the reign of which of the following were many Romans separated from their wealth and their assets seized?
14. Which of the following adjectives did Juvenal use to describe men who spent their lives in squalor only to die millionaires?
15. According to Juvenal, from whom could a virtuous man borrow heritage?
(a) From nobility.
(b) From his neighbor.
(c) From the gods.
(d) From his heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Calvinus lose in Satire XIII?
2. According to Juvenal, which type of envy would get a man overthrown quickly?
3. Which of the following acts did Juvenal consider to be a degradation to heritage?
4. With which of the following friends did Juvenal rejoice over Catullus' return?
5. What type of material did men in Rome use to construct their tables before the city grew rich from war?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)