|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On which of the following did the father in Satire XIV spend all of his money?
(b) His son's education.
2. The Tagres and the Pactolus referred to which of the following?
3. Who did Catullus claim to have smiled on the ship on the day of its sinking?
4. In which building did Juvenal suggest that Calvinus spend a few days in order to get some perspective on his life?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The courthouse.
(c) The church.
(d) The jail.
5. When Juvenal heard that Catullus was returning home, he said that that day was happier than which other day?
(a) His birthday.
(d) New Year's Day.
6. What type of material did men in Rome use to construct their tables before the city grew rich from war?
(a) Pounded metal.
(b) Baked mud.
(c) Large stones.
(d) Fallen trees.
7. In which city was the sinking ship harbor?
8. According to Juvenal, from whom could a virtuous man borrow heritage?
(a) From his neighbor.
(b) From the gods.
(c) From nobility.
(d) From his heart.
9. In Juvenal's opinion, which form of inheritance was most dangerous?
10. How did Pompey finally die?
(a) He fell to his death.
(b) He was poisoned.
(c) He drowned.
(d) He was decapitated.
11. Who stole money from Calvinus?
(a) His wife.
(b) His father.
(c) The church.
(d) His friend.
12. According to Juvenal, which of the following types of men would a good ruler NOT torment?
(a) Desperate men.
(b) Guilty men.
(c) Noble men.
(d) Virtuous men.
13. What did Juvenal think would happen to Fuscinus' wealthy daughter-in-law?
(a) Her husband would kill her.
(b) Her husband would ignore her.
(c) Her husband would cheat on her.
(d) Her husband would divorce her.
14. Which of the following crimes did Persicus accuse Juvenal of committing?
15. In Satire XIV, which of the following crimes did Juvenal accuse Rutilus of committing?
(a) Drinking liquor.
(b) Beating his slaves.
(c) Stealing from the church.
(d) Cheating on his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following men had the lavish garden Juvenal spoke of in Satire XIV?
2. Which of the following words did Juvenal use to describe the negative effect that inheritances had on an individual?
3. Why did people in Rome mock gourmands?
4. Where was the wine that Juvenal served at his dinner party produced?
5. Which of the following adjectives did Juvenal use to describe Blandus?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)