|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of material did men in Rome use to construct their tables before the city grew rich from war?
(a) Baked mud.
(b) Pounded metal.
(c) Fallen trees.
(d) Large stones.
2. In which city was the sinking ship harbor?
3. What did Juvenal claim to be the only fear that Roman men had?
(a) The wrath of the gods.
(c) Sexual immorality.
4. What changed in Naevolus' appearance during the time that he and Juvenal were friends?
(a) He gets wrinkles on his face.
(b) He shrinks in size.
(c) He gets fat.
(d) His hair turns grey.
5. What bad habit did Juvenal claim that daughters specifically learned from their mothers?
6. How did Calvinus feel about the money that he had lost?
(a) He was confused.
(b) He was apathetic.
(c) He was angered.
(d) He was devastated.
7. Which of the following aspects of Juvenal's life did Persicus investigate?
(a) His romantic involvement.
(b) His financal standing.
(c) His educational background.
(d) His religious affiliations.
8. Who stole money from Calvinus?
(a) His friend.
(b) His wife.
(c) The church.
(d) His father.
9. During Juvenal's age of mankind, what did he claim to not have a mental base in men?
10. Which of the following men froze when the ship he was riding began to sink?
(a) The first mate.
(b) The coxswain.
(c) The deck hand.
(d) The captain.
11. Why did Naevolus leave his comfortable job in town?
(a) For more money.
(b) For an adventure.
(c) For the pursuit of love.
(d) He has been fired.
12. Who was Naevolus' lover?
13. In Juvenal's opinion, which form of inheritance was most dangerous?
14. Which of the following did Juvenal claim to be the true test of nobility?
15. From whom did Juvenal believe children learn bad morals?
(a) From their schoolmates.
(b) From their teachers.
(c) From animals.
(d) From their parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following men experienced a Divine blessing that nullified all of his immoral actions?
2. On which of the following did the father in Satire XIV spend all of his money?
3. According to Juvenal, from whom could a virtuous man borrow heritage?
4. In Juvenal's opinion, well-raised children would grow into which of the following?
5. Where did Naevolus work before leaving his job?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)