|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did the captain of the sinking ship trust for safety?
(a) The crew.
(b) The wind.
(c) The gods.
2. In Juvenal's opinion, how did the morals of ancient men compare to the morals of modern men?
(a) Morals are stricter in modern times.
(b) Morals were stricter in ancient times.
(c) Morals were equally lax in both ancient and modern times.
(d) Morals were equally strict in both ancient and modern times.
3. Which of the following gift requests was denied to Naevolus by his lover?
4. Which of the following did Catullus throw overboard to prevent the ship from sinking?
(b) His belongings.
(c) The anchor.
5. Where was the wine that Juvenal served at his dinner party produced?
6. How did Calvinus feel about the money that he had lost?
(a) He was angered.
(b) He was devastated.
(c) He was apathetic.
(d) He was confused.
7. According to Naevolus, the animal smoothed with which of the following was most dangerous?
8. Which of the following adjectives did Juvenal use to describe Blandus?
9. Which of the following men did Juvenal compare to Nero?
10. Which of the following men was destroyed for his talent?
11. The Tagres and the Pactolus referred to which of the following?
12. Which of the following crimes did Persicus accuse Juvenal of committing?
13. Which religion did Juvenal claim to be "a vice disguised as virtue"?
14. Which of the following did Juvenal order in celebration for Catallus' safe return?
(a) An offering to the gods.
(b) The erection of a Maypole.
(c) Flowers planted at the harbor.
(d) A round of beers at the saloon.
15. Schoolboys in Juvenal's village prayed for the eloquence of which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following aspects of Juvenal's life did Persicus investigate?
2. In Juvenal's opinion, which form of inheritance was most dangerous?
3. Which of the following illnesses threatened to destroy Pompey?
4. Which of the following men had the lavish garden Juvenal spoke of in Satire XIV?
5. Which of the following adjectives did Juvenal use to describe men who spent their lives in squalor only to die millionaires?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)