|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Juvenal, how did the gods react when men cried out for money?
(a) They shouted back at the men.
(b) They punished the men with bad weather.
(c) They answered prayers.
(d) They ignored prayers.
2. Which of the following men had the lavish garden Juvenal spoke of in Satire XIV?
3. In Juvenal's opinion, how did the morals of ancient men compare to the morals of modern men?
(a) Morals were equally strict in both ancient and modern times.
(b) Morals were stricter in ancient times.
(c) Morals were equally lax in both ancient and modern times.
(d) Morals are stricter in modern times.
4. Which of the following did the captain of the sinking ship trust for safety?
(a) The gods.
(c) The crew.
(d) The wind.
5. Which of the following crimes was NOT committed by Calvinus?
(a) Lusting for a married woman.
(b) Stealing from the shrines.
(c) Setting fire to his hallway.
(d) Hiring thugs.
6. Which of the following illnesses threatened to destroy Pompey?
7. Why did Naevolus leave his comfortable job in town?
(a) For more money.
(b) For the pursuit of love.
(c) He has been fired.
(d) For an adventure.
8. In Satire XIV, which of the following crimes did Juvenal accuse Rutilus of committing?
(a) Stealing from the church.
(b) Cheating on his wife.
(c) Drinking liquor.
(d) Beating his slaves.
9. When Juvenal heard that Catullus was returning home, he said that that day was happier than which other day?
(a) His birthday.
(c) New Year's Day.
10. What bad habit did Juvenal claim that daughters specifically learned from their mothers?
11. On which of the following did the father in Satire XIV spend all of his money?
(c) His son's education.
12. In Juvenal's opinion, well-raised children would grow into which of the following?
(a) Better parents themselves.
(b) God-fearing people.
(c) Soldiers for Rome.
(d) Fine citizens.
13. Which of the following events typically involved gourmands?
(a) Gladiator fight.
(b) Dice roll.
(c) Lion hunt.
(d) Deep sea fishing.
14. Why was Juvenal so proud of Catullus' quick action aboard the ship?
(a) Because he was brave.
(b) Because he was strong.
(c) Because he was quick.
(d) Because he was sensible.
15. Which of the following men did Juvenal compare to Nero?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Juvenal claim to be the only fear that Roman men had?
2. Why did many men who borrowed money from Rome flee the city?
3. Which of the following crimes did Persicus accuse Juvenal of committing?
4. What did Juvenal claim to be the single force that ruled mankind?
5. In which building did Juvenal suggest that Calvinus spend a few days in order to get some perspective on his life?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)