|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which herb did Juvenal advise Naevolus to chew as an aphrodisiac?
(d) Gai Lan.
2. In which building did Juvenal suggest that Calvinus spend a few days in order to get some perspective on his life?
(a) The jail.
(b) The courthouse.
(c) The hospital.
(d) The church.
3. What was the name of the famous gourmand in Satire XI?
4. Who was Naevolus' lover?
5. How did Naevolus' lover react to the news that his wife was pregnant by another man?
(a) He is irate.
(b) He is apathetic.
(c) He is proud.
(d) He is confused.
6. Where did Naevolus work before leaving his job?
(a) At the market.
(b) At the infirmary.
(c) At the school.
(d) At the temple.
7. Juvenal opined that just as adults cleaned their homes, they should also clean which of the following?
(a) The streets of Rome.
(b) Their own souls.
(c) The lives of their children.
(d) The church windows.
8. Why was Juvenal so proud of Catullus' quick action aboard the ship?
(a) Because he was brave.
(b) Because he was sensible.
(c) Because he was quick.
(d) Because he was strong.
9. Why did many men who borrowed money from Rome flee the city?
(a) To spend the money that they borrowed in an entrepreneurial way.
(b) To hide the shame of borrowing.
(c) To imply that they were wealthy to those outside of Rome.
(d) To avoid paying back their debts.
10. Which of the following characteristics was Blandus' only claim to nobility?
(a) His pedigree.
(b) His wealth.
(c) His virtue.
(d) His title.
11. According to Juvenal, which type of envy would get a man overthrown quickly?
(a) Envy of heirs.
(b) Envy of love.
(c) Envy of power.
(d) Envy of wealth.
12. Which of the following elements earned praise for thoroughbreds?
(a) Their good looks.
(b) Their purity.
(c) Their performance.
(d) Their value.
13. Which of the following aspects of Juvenal's life did Persicus investigate?
(a) His religious affiliations.
(b) His educational background.
(c) His romantic involvement.
(d) His financal standing.
14. Who did Catullus claim to have smiled on the ship on the day of its sinking?
15. Who stole money from Calvinus?
(a) The church.
(b) His friend.
(c) His father.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT something that Juvenal believed that all men should know about themselves?
2. The Tagres and the Pactolus referred to which of the following?
3. Which of the following facts did Juvenal NOT brag about over his dinner with Persicus?
4. How was the Spartan who is convicted of embezzlement punished?
5. Which of the following men did Juvenal compare to Nero?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)