|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which city was the sinking ship harbor?
2. According to Juvenal, which type of envy would get a man overthrown quickly?
(a) Envy of wealth.
(b) Envy of heirs.
(c) Envy of power.
(d) Envy of love.
3. Which of the following did Juvenal order in celebration for Catallus' safe return?
(a) The erection of a Maypole.
(b) An offering to the gods.
(c) Flowers planted at the harbor.
(d) A round of beers at the saloon.
4. Which of the following groups of people questioned Juvenal's motives upon Catullus' return?
(a) School children.
(c) Legacy hunters.
5. Which of the following crimes was NOT committed by Calvinus?
(a) Hiring thugs.
(b) Lusting for a married woman.
(c) Stealing from the shrines.
(d) Setting fire to his hallway.
6. In Satire XIV, which of the following crimes did Juvenal accuse Rutilus of committing?
(a) Beating his slaves.
(b) Stealing from the church.
(c) Cheating on his wife.
(d) Drinking liquor.
7. Where did Naevolus work before leaving his job?
(a) At the market.
(b) At the infirmary.
(c) At the temple.
(d) At the school.
8. Which herb did Juvenal advise Naevolus to chew as an aphrodisiac?
(c) Gai Lan.
9. Who stole money from Calvinus?
(a) His wife.
(b) His father.
(c) The church.
(d) His friend.
10. When Juvenal heard that Catullus was returning home, he said that that day was happier than which other day?
(b) New Year's Day.
(c) His birthday.
11. According to Juvenal, from whom could a virtuous man borrow heritage?
(a) From his heart.
(b) From the gods.
(c) From his neighbor.
(d) From nobility.
12. From whom did Juvenal believe children learn bad morals?
(a) From animals.
(b) From their schoolmates.
(c) From their parents.
(d) From their teachers.
13. Which of the following was NOT something that Juvenal believed that all men should know about themselves?
(a) Their love for a spouse.
(b) Their religious salvation.
(c) The limits of their talent.
(d) Their financial standings.
14. With which of the following friends did Juvenal rejoice over Catullus' return?
15. Which of the following words did Juvenal use to describe the negative effect that inheritances had on an individual?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Virro want Naevolus killed?
2. What did Juvenal claim to be the only fear that Roman men had?
3. What did Juvenal think would happen to Fuscinus' wealthy daughter-in-law?
4. Who was Naevolus' lover?
5. Why did Naevolus leave his comfortable job in town?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)