|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was Blandus' first name?
2. What type of material did men in Rome use to construct their tables before the city grew rich from war?
(a) Baked mud.
(b) Fallen trees.
(c) Large stones.
(d) Pounded metal.
3. How many sons did Catullus have?
4. Juvenal opined that just as adults cleaned their homes, they should also clean which of the following?
(a) The lives of their children.
(b) The streets of Rome.
(c) Their own souls.
(d) The church windows.
5. Why did people in Rome mock gourmands?
(a) Because they were mute.
(b) Because they are poor.
(c) Because they were fat.
(d) Because they were atheist.
6. What bad habit did Juvenal claim that daughters specifically learned from their mothers?
7. How was the Spartan who is convicted of embezzlement punished?
(a) He was forced into slavery.
(b) He was sent to the stocks.
(c) He was killed.
(d) He was banished.
8. Which of the following did Juvenal claim to be the true test of nobility?
9. In which city was the sinking ship harbor?
10. Which of the following acts did Juvenal consider to be a degradation to heritage?
11. According to Juvenal, from whom could a virtuous man borrow heritage?
(a) From the gods.
(b) From nobility.
(c) From his neighbor.
(d) From his heart.
12. What did Juvenal claim to be the only fear that Roman men had?
(b) Sexual immorality.
(d) The wrath of the gods.
13. Which of the following adjectives did Juvenal use to describe men who spent their lives in squalor only to die millionaires?
14. Which of the following facts did Juvenal NOT brag about over his dinner with Persicus?
(a) His meal being meager.
(b) His bedding being thin.
(c) His cups being very cheap.
(d) His servant being a novice.
15. During Juvenal's age of mankind, what did he claim to not have a mental base in men?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following men did Juvenal compare to Nero?
2. What did Juvenal think would happen to Fuscinus' wealthy daughter-in-law?
3. Who called on Blandus to earn the respect of the town through his actions?
4. Why did Virro want Naevolus killed?
5. What type of plates did soldiers eat off of at Juvenal's dinner party?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)