|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bad habit did Juvenal claim that daughters specifically learned from their mothers?
2. Why did many men who borrowed money from Rome flee the city?
(a) To spend the money that they borrowed in an entrepreneurial way.
(b) To avoid paying back their debts.
(c) To imply that they were wealthy to those outside of Rome.
(d) To hide the shame of borrowing.
3. On which of the following did the father in Satire XIV spend all of his money?
(d) His son's education.
4. What type of material did men in Rome use to construct their tables before the city grew rich from war?
(a) Large stones.
(b) Fallen trees.
(c) Baked mud.
(d) Pounded metal.
5. Which of the following men did NOT have to bury one of his children?
6. Which of the following crimes was NOT committed by Calvinus?
(a) Setting fire to his hallway.
(b) Stealing from the shrines.
(c) Lusting for a married woman.
(d) Hiring thugs.
7. With which of the following friends did Juvenal rejoice over Catullus' return?
8. Where was the wine that Juvenal served at his dinner party produced?
9. How many children did Naevolus father with his lover's wife?
10. Which of the following events typically involved gourmands?
(a) Deep sea fishing.
(b) Dice roll.
(c) Gladiator fight.
(d) Lion hunt.
11. How much money did Calvinus lose in Satire XIII?
12. Which of the following did Juvenal claim to be the true test of nobility?
13. How did Calvinus feel about the money that he had lost?
(a) He was devastated.
(b) He was angered.
(c) He was apathetic.
(d) He was confused.
14. Which of the following men had the lavish garden Juvenal spoke of in Satire XIV?
15. Why did Virro want Naevolus killed?
(a) For stealing from him.
(b) For lying to him.
(c) For betraying him.
(d) For threatening him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Calvinus want to happen to the man who had stolen his money?
2. When Juvenal heard that Catullus was returning home, he said that that day was happier than which other day?
3. What was the name of the famous gourmand in Satire XI?
4. What did Juvenal claim to be the only fear that Roman men had?
5. From whom did Juvenal believe children learn bad morals?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)