|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Tagres and the Pactolus referred to which of the following?
2. Who called on Blandus to earn the respect of the town through his actions?
(b) Cossutianus Capito.
3. What did Juvenal claim to be the single force that ruled mankind?
4. What type of plates did soldiers eat off of at Juvenal's dinner party?
5. How much money did Calvinus lose in Satire XIII?
6. To which goddess did women pray in the hope of giving birth to attractive children?
7. In Juvenal's opinion, well-raised children would grow into which of the following?
(a) God-fearing people.
(b) Soldiers for Rome.
(c) Fine citizens.
(d) Better parents themselves.
8. During the reign of which of the following were many Romans separated from their wealth and their assets seized?
9. From whom did Juvenal believe children learn bad morals?
(a) From their schoolmates.
(b) From their teachers.
(c) From their parents.
(d) From animals.
10. What did Calvinus want to happen to the man who had stolen his money?
(a) He wanted him banished.
(b) He wanted him beaten.
(c) He wanted him executed.
(d) He wanted him jailed.
11. Which of the following gift requests was denied to Naevolus by his lover?
12. Which of the following men was destroyed for his talent?
13. What did Juvenal think would happen to Fuscinus' wealthy daughter-in-law?
(a) Her husband would ignore her.
(b) Her husband would cheat on her.
(c) Her husband would kill her.
(d) Her husband would divorce her.
14. Which of the following actions did Juvenal label as "pointless and destructive"?
15. Which of the following men did Juvenal compare to Nero?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Juvenal, how did the gods react when men cried out for money?
2. Which of the following words did Juvenal use to describe the negative effect that inheritances had on an individual?
3. What changed in Naevolus' appearance during the time that he and Juvenal were friends?
4. Why did people in Rome mock gourmands?
5. During which age of mankind did Juvenal live?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)