|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following facts did Juvenal NOT brag about over his dinner with Persicus?
(a) His servant being a novice.
(b) His cups being very cheap.
(c) His bedding being thin.
(d) His meal being meager.
2. How did the son who inherited the money in Satire XIV treat it?
(a) He tithed it.
(b) He invested it.
(c) He squandered it.
(d) He saved it.
3. During the reign of which of the following were many Romans separated from their wealth and their assets seized?
4. How did Calvinus feel about the money that he had lost?
(a) He was confused.
(b) He was devastated.
(c) He was apathetic.
(d) He was angered.
5. Why did people in Rome mock gourmands?
(a) Because they were atheist.
(b) Because they are poor.
(c) Because they were fat.
(d) Because they were mute.
6. Who did Catullus claim to have smiled on the ship on the day of its sinking?
7. According to Juvenal, which type of envy would get a man overthrown quickly?
(a) Envy of wealth.
(b) Envy of love.
(c) Envy of power.
(d) Envy of heirs.
8. What did Juvenal claim to be the single force that ruled mankind?
9. Which of the following did Catullus throw overboard to prevent the ship from sinking?
(c) The anchor.
(d) His belongings.
10. Which of the following gift requests was denied to Naevolus by his lover?
11. What type of plates did soldiers eat off of at Juvenal's dinner party?
12. What was the name of the father of Alexander the Great?
13. According to Juvenal, from whom could a virtuous man borrow heritage?
(a) From nobility.
(b) From his heart.
(c) From the gods.
(d) From his neighbor.
14. How did Naevolus' lover react to the news that his wife was pregnant by another man?
(a) He is irate.
(b) He is apathetic.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is proud.
15. How many sons did Catullus have?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city was the sinking ship harbor?
2. Which of the following characteristics was Blandus' only claim to nobility?
3. Juvenal opined that just as adults cleaned their homes, they should also clean which of the following?
4. With which of the following friends did Juvenal rejoice over Catullus' return?
5. In which building did Juvenal suggest that Calvinus spend a few days in order to get some perspective on his life?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)