|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did Juvenal order in celebration for Catallus' safe return?
(a) The erection of a Maypole.
(b) An offering to the gods.
(c) A round of beers at the saloon.
(d) Flowers planted at the harbor.
2. Why did many men who borrowed money from Rome flee the city?
(a) To avoid paying back their debts.
(b) To spend the money that they borrowed in an entrepreneurial way.
(c) To imply that they were wealthy to those outside of Rome.
(d) To hide the shame of borrowing.
3. Which of the following men did Juvenal compare to Nero?
4. Which of the following did Juvenal claim to be the true test of nobility?
5. Why was Juvenal so proud of Catullus' quick action aboard the ship?
(a) Because he was strong.
(b) Because he was quick.
(c) Because he was brave.
(d) Because he was sensible.
6. Which of the following events typically involved gourmands?
(a) Dice roll.
(b) Gladiator fight.
(c) Lion hunt.
(d) Deep sea fishing.
7. Which herb did Juvenal advise Naevolus to chew as an aphrodisiac?
(d) Gai Lan.
8. Which of the following crimes did Persicus accuse Juvenal of committing?
9. What type of plates did soldiers eat off of at Juvenal's dinner party?
10. With which of the following friends did Juvenal rejoice over Catullus' return?
11. How did Pompey finally die?
(a) He fell to his death.
(b) He was decapitated.
(c) He was poisoned.
(d) He drowned.
12. Juvenal opined that just as adults cleaned their homes, they should also clean which of the following?
(a) The streets of Rome.
(b) The lives of their children.
(c) The church windows.
(d) Their own souls.
13. According to Juvenal, which of the following types of men would a good ruler NOT torment?
(a) Guilty men.
(b) Virtuous men.
(c) Desperate men.
(d) Noble men.
14. Which of the following acts did Juvenal consider to be a degradation to heritage?
15. Why did Virro want Naevolus killed?
(a) For betraying him.
(b) For threatening him.
(c) For stealing from him.
(d) For lying to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which building did Juvenal suggest that Calvinus spend a few days in order to get some perspective on his life?
2. How was the Spartan who is convicted of embezzlement punished?
3. Who did Catullus claim to have smiled on the ship on the day of its sinking?
4. Where did Naevolus work before leaving his job?
5. What was the name of the famous gourmand in Satire XI?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)