|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following aspects of Juvenal's life did Persicus investigate?
(a) His educational background.
(b) His romantic involvement.
(c) His financal standing.
(d) His religious affiliations.
2. According to Juvenal, which of the following types of men would a good ruler NOT torment?
(a) Virtuous men.
(b) Guilty men.
(c) Desperate men.
(d) Noble men.
3. Why was Juvenal so proud of Catullus' quick action aboard the ship?
(a) Because he was brave.
(b) Because he was quick.
(c) Because he was sensible.
(d) Because he was strong.
4. Which of the following item types concerned gourmands the most?
(d) Precious metals.
5. To which goddess did women pray in the hope of giving birth to attractive children?
6. Which of the following prayers did Juvenal consider to be pointless?
(a) The prayer for wisdom.
(b) The prayer for wealth.
(c) The prayer for long life.
(d) The prayer for good health.
7. How did Pompey finally die?
(a) He drowned.
(b) He was decapitated.
(c) He fell to his death.
(d) He was poisoned.
8. Which of the following did Catullus throw overboard to prevent the ship from sinking?
(b) The anchor.
(c) His belongings.
9. From whom did Juvenal believe children learn bad morals?
(a) From animals.
(b) From their teachers.
(c) From their parents.
(d) From their schoolmates.
10. Which of the following men did Juvenal compare to Nero?
11. Which of the following men experienced a Divine blessing that nullified all of his immoral actions?
12. In which building did Juvenal suggest that Calvinus spend a few days in order to get some perspective on his life?
(a) The courthouse.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The jail.
(d) The church.
13. Which of the following actions did Juvenal label as "pointless and destructive"?
14. Which of the following acts did Juvenal consider to be a degradation to heritage?
15. Where was the wine that Juvenal served at his dinner party produced?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Catullus claim to have smiled on the ship on the day of its sinking?
2. In Satire XIV, which of the following crimes did Juvenal accuse Rutilus of committing?
3. What did Juvenal claim to be the only fear that Roman men had?
4. Which of the following gift requests was denied to Naevolus by his lover?
5. Which of the following elements earned praise for thoroughbreds?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)