|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Tagres and the Pactolus referred to which of the following?
2. Which of the following groups of people questioned Juvenal's motives upon Catullus' return?
(a) Legacy hunters.
(c) School children.
3. What bad habit did Juvenal claim that daughters specifically learned from their mothers?
4. Which of the following crimes was NOT committed by Calvinus?
(a) Lusting for a married woman.
(b) Stealing from the shrines.
(c) Hiring thugs.
(d) Setting fire to his hallway.
5. Which of the following characteristics was Blandus' only claim to nobility?
(a) His pedigree.
(b) His title.
(c) His virtue.
(d) His wealth.
6. To which goddess did women pray in the hope of giving birth to attractive children?
7. Which of the following illnesses threatened to destroy Pompey?
8. Juvenal opined that just as adults cleaned their homes, they should also clean which of the following?
(a) The lives of their children.
(b) Their own souls.
(c) The streets of Rome.
(d) The church windows.
9. Schoolboys in Juvenal's village prayed for the eloquence of which of the following?
10. Which of the following adjectives did Juvenal use to describe Blandus?
11. Which of the following events typically involved gourmands?
(a) Dice roll.
(b) Lion hunt.
(c) Gladiator fight.
(d) Deep sea fishing.
12. In Juvenal's opinion, which form of inheritance was most dangerous?
13. Why did many men who borrowed money from Rome flee the city?
(a) To avoid paying back their debts.
(b) To spend the money that they borrowed in an entrepreneurial way.
(c) To hide the shame of borrowing.
(d) To imply that they were wealthy to those outside of Rome.
14. Which of the following acts did Juvenal consider to be a degradation to heritage?
15. What was the name of the famous gourmand in Satire XI?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Naevolus' lover react to the news that his wife was pregnant by another man?
2. What did Juvenal claim to be the single force that ruled mankind?
3. Which of the following did the captain of the sinking ship trust for safety?
4. What was the name of the father of Alexander the Great?
5. What type of material did men in Rome use to construct their tables before the city grew rich from war?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)