|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Making money isn't hard in itself...What's hard is to earn it doing something worth devoting one's life to"?
2. Who says, "You should despise me...It would bring you luck"?
3. Where does Daniel go in City of Shadows Chapter 41
4. Where does Miquel find Julián?
5. Where does Daniel take his son at the conclusion of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ricardo Aldaya seek out Julián and his mother, according to Nuria in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 4?
2. What did the newspapers publish about Fumero's death?
3. What does the newspaper's headline imply in City of Shadows Chapter 40?
4. How does Daniel know Julián was in his room at the hospital?
5. What does Daniel discover in The Angel of Mist after his tryst with Bea is interrupted?
6. What does Daniel learn about Julián's parents in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 3?
7. What does Daniel learn about Fermín in City of Shadows Chapter 36?
8. How does the book end?
9. What became of the old Aldaya home?
10. Why does Daniel take Fermín to the Barcelos in City of Shadows Chapter 32?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Daniel's relationship with his father. How is Daniel's relationship with his father different from that of Julián with Fortuny and Tomás and his father? How does Daniel's relationship with his father impact and influence the story?
Essay Topic 2
The Shadow of the Wind uses the narration of Daniel, Nuria and Julián to tell the entire story. How do these multiple viewpoints and narrations aid in the story's development? Explore each character's contribution to the story using specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Daniel's portion of The Shadow of the Wind is set after the Spanish Civil war, while a portion of Julián's story is set during the war. The war has an impact on both stories. Describe how the civil war affects Daniel's story as well as Julián's story. Be sure to use specific references from the story.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)