|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Daniel die?
2. What kind of relationship does Miquel's story reveal about Julián and Penélope?
3. What does Fermín call Bernarda?
4. What did Julián's mother do for a living?
5. Who does Daniel go to see in City of Shadows Chapter 37?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Daniel go exploring in The Angel of Mist in City of Shadows Chapter 34?
2. What did the newspapers publish about Fumero's death?
3. What does the newspaper's headline imply in City of Shadows Chapter 40?
4. What became of the old Aldaya home?
5. Why does Daniel go to see Nuria Monfort in City of Shadows Chapter 37 and 38?
6. How does Julián learn about Daniel's copy of The Shadow of the Wind?
7. Why does Daniel decide to call Bea's house in City of Shadows Chapter 35?
8. Where does Fermín take Daniel the night before the wedding?
9. What does Julián discover in The Angel of Mist in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 10?
10. How does the book end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Shadow of the Wind is a coming-of-age story for Daniel. Describe how Daniel changes throughout the story - from when the reader is first introduced to him at age 10, to Daniel's 16th birthday, to his marriage and fatherhood at the end of the novel. Use specific references and quotes from the story in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Daniel has very different and sometime complicated relationships with women. Describe Daniel's relationships with Clara, Nuria and Bea. How do those relationships affect Daniel's life? How are his dealings with each woman different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
After he discovers Penélope is dead, Julián takes on the role of Laín Coubert, the devil, from his books and sets out to find and destroy every copy of all of his own books. What is his goal in doing this? What is he trying to do? How does he believe destroying his books will affect his story?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)