|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Fumero come looking for Fermín in City of Shadows Chapter 40?
2. Where do Fermín and Daniel go in "The Waters of March"?
3. Who does Gustavo suggest Daniel visit while they are waiting for the doctor to treat Fermín?
4. Where does Daniel go at the beginning of City of Shadows Chapter 43?
5. What does Daniel's father bring him in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julián learn about Daniel's copy of The Shadow of the Wind?
2. Where does Fermín take Daniel the night before the wedding?
3. How does the book end?
4. What does the newspaper's headline imply in City of Shadows Chapter 40?
5. What did the newspapers publish about Fumero's death?
6. How does Fumero die?
7. How does Nuria meet Julián?
8. What does Julián discover in The Angel of Mist in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 10?
9. How does Daniel know Julián was in his room at the hospital?
10. Why does Tomás beat up Daniel in The Shadow of the Wind Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After he discovers Penélope is dead, Julián takes on the role of Laín Coubert, the devil, from his books and sets out to find and destroy every copy of all of his own books. What is his goal in doing this? What is he trying to do? How does he believe destroying his books will affect his story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the climax of The Shadow of the Wind. How has the author prepared the reader for this event? How is the climax/main conflict resolved?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, Daniel, the story's narrator at this point, says, "A secret's worth depends on the people from whom it must be kept." What do you think Daniel means by this? How does keeping secrets influence the story? Does Daniel's statement hold true to specific events in the book? Explain.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)