|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Daniel tell Bea came to his room?
2. Where do Fermín and Daniel go in "The Waters of March"?
3. What does Daniel discover in the cellar?
4. Who says, "One loves truly only once in a lifetime...even if one isn't aware of it"?
5. Who picks Daniel up from the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the newspaper's headline imply in City of Shadows Chapter 40?
2. Why does Ricardo Aldaya seek out Julián and his mother, according to Nuria in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 4?
3. What does Julián discover in The Angel of Mist in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 10?
4. Why do people think Julián is the one who died in the restaurant in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 8?
5. What was Fumero's plan for Jorge?
6. Why does Palacios ask Daniel to get into his car after Nuria's funeral?
7. What became of the old Aldaya home?
8. How does Fumero die?
9. Why is Daniel's and his father's dinner interrupted in City of Shadows Chapter 40?
10. How do the Barcelos convince Father Fernando to marry Bea and Daniel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Shadow of the Wind uses the narration of Daniel, Nuria and Julián to tell the entire story. How do these multiple viewpoints and narrations aid in the story's development? Explore each character's contribution to the story using specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
At Nuria's funeral, Palacios pulls Daniel aside and tells Daniel that Nuria's last words were, "There are worse prisons than words" and to let " Penélope go." Palacious thinks the words are intended for Daniel. Who are the words really intended for? Explore what Nuria means by this statement. How is it relevant that these are her final words?
Essay Topic 3
Daniel has very different and sometime complicated relationships with women. Describe Daniel's relationships with Clara, Nuria and Bea. How do those relationships affect Daniel's life? How are his dealings with each woman different? How are they similar?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)