|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daniel give his father at the end of City of Shadows Chapter 44?
2. Who does Daniel think murdered Julián?
3. Who does Nuria say should be let go?
4. Where does Daniel go after dinner in City of Shadows Chapter 35
5. Where does Nuria hide Julián's books?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julián discover in The Angel of Mist in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 10?
2. How does the book end?
3. What does Isaac give Daniel after Nuria's funeral in City of Shadows Chapter 44?
4. Why does Daniel decide to call Bea's house in City of Shadows Chapter 35?
5. What did the newspapers publish about Fumero's death?
6. Why is Daniel's and his father's dinner interrupted in City of Shadows Chapter 40?
7. Why does Daniel take Fermín to the Barcelos in City of Shadows Chapter 32?
8. How does Daniel know Julián was in his room at the hospital?
9. Why does Tomás beat up Daniel in The Shadow of the Wind Chapter 1?
10. What does Daniel discover in The Angel of Mist after his tryst with Bea is interrupted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, Daniel, the story's narrator at this point, says, "A secret's worth depends on the people from whom it must be kept." What do you think Daniel means by this? How does keeping secrets influence the story? Does Daniel's statement hold true to specific events in the book? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Shadow of the Wind shows the impact a book can have on someone's life. How does the story illustrate the impact of literature? Use Daniel and Julián as examples.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the climax of The Shadow of the Wind. How has the author prepared the reader for this event? How is the climax/main conflict resolved?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)