|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fermín call Bernarda?
2. Who gave blood for Daniel?
3. What does Nuria buy for Julián?
4. Who says, "Making money isn't hard in itself...What's hard is to earn it doing something worth devoting one's life to"?
5. Where does Daniel go to meet Bea for the third time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nuria meet Julián?
2. Why does Tomás beat up Daniel in The Shadow of the Wind Chapter 1?
3. What does Daniel learn about Julián's parents in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 3?
4. What does Julián discover in The Angel of Mist in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 10?
5. Why does Daniel decide to call Bea's house in City of Shadows Chapter 35?
6. Why does Ricardo Aldaya seek out Julián and his mother, according to Nuria in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 4?
7. Why does Daniel go to see Nuria Monfort in City of Shadows Chapter 37 and 38?
8. What does Isaac give Daniel after Nuria's funeral in City of Shadows Chapter 44?
9. What does the newspaper's headline imply in City of Shadows Chapter 40?
10. Why is someone burning Julián's books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several secondary characters have an impact on Daniel's life. Explain, using examples from the text, how the following characters impact Daniel's life and influence the story:
a) Gustavo Barcelo.
b) Tomás Aguilar.
c) Don Federico.
d) Father Fernando.
Essay Topic 2
The author, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, uses foreshadowing to help the reader predict. Highlight at least three instances of foreshadowing and how those instances work to help the reader figure out future events and outcomes in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Shadows are an important symbol in the novel. What do the shadows in the book represent? How do shadows and the things they represent play a role in the story?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)