|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julián throw into the fire?
2. Whose body do they discover with Fumero's?
3. Who does Daniel discover at Nuria's apartment?
4. Where does Daniel die?
5. What does Daniel learn about Clara when he calls the Gustavos?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Palacios ask Daniel to get into his car after Nuria's funeral?
2. Why does Daniel decide to call Bea's house in City of Shadows Chapter 35?
3. How does the book end?
4. Why do people think Julián is the one who died in the restaurant in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 8?
5. What did the newspapers publish about Fumero's death?
6. Why is Daniel's and his father's dinner interrupted in City of Shadows Chapter 40?
7. Why does Ricardo Aldaya seek out Julián and his mother, according to Nuria in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 4?
8. How do the Barcelos convince Father Fernando to marry Bea and Daniel?
9. Why does Daniel take Fermín to the Barcelos in City of Shadows Chapter 32?
10. How does Julián learn about Daniel's copy of The Shadow of the Wind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At Nuria's funeral, Palacios pulls Daniel aside and tells Daniel that Nuria's last words were, "There are worse prisons than words" and to let " Penélope go." Palacious thinks the words are intended for Daniel. Who are the words really intended for? Explore what Nuria means by this statement. How is it relevant that these are her final words?
Essay Topic 2
The Shadow of the Wind uses the narration of Daniel, Nuria and Julián to tell the entire story. How do these multiple viewpoints and narrations aid in the story's development? Explore each character's contribution to the story using specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The Angel of Mist plays an important role in the story to the extent that it could almost be considered a "character." What role does The Angel of Mist play in both Daniel's and Julián's portions of the story? Why is the place so important that it could be considered a "character" in the book?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)