|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Daniel to wake up?
2. Who does Gustavo suggest Daniel visit while they are waiting for the doctor to treat Fermín?
3. Who becomes Laín Coubert?
4. What does Julián discover in The Angel of Mist in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 10?
5. Who says, "I could help you...I have a surplus of what you both lack: money and common sense"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daniel learn about Julián's parents in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 3?
2. What is in the letter Daniel receives at the bookshop?
3. Why does Palacios ask Daniel to get into his car after Nuria's funeral?
4. What does the newspaper's headline imply in City of Shadows Chapter 40?
5. Why do people think Julián is the one who died in the restaurant in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 8?
6. What became of the old Aldaya home?
7. How does Fumero die?
8. Why does Daniel go exploring in The Angel of Mist in City of Shadows Chapter 34?
9. Why does Daniel decide to call Bea's house in City of Shadows Chapter 35?
10. How does Nuria meet Julián?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At Nuria's funeral, Palacios pulls Daniel aside and tells Daniel that Nuria's last words were, "There are worse prisons than words" and to let " Penélope go." Palacious thinks the words are intended for Daniel. Who are the words really intended for? Explore what Nuria means by this statement. How is it relevant that these are her final words?
Essay Topic 2
Several people who know Julián mention that Daniel reminds them of Julián. In the book, how are Daniel and Julián alike? How are they different? Compare and contrast their lives as presented in the story. Use specific examples and quotes in your response.
Essay Topic 3
The title of Carlos Ruiz Zafon's book, The Shadow of the Wind, is the same as the title of Julián Carax's book that is the center of the storyline. What is the relevance of the books having the same title? Do you think it is appropriate that the two stories share a title? Why?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)