|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fermín disguise himself as?
2. Who is Daniel speaking about when he says, "I knew that one day she would return to me, in months or years to come, that I would always relive her memory in the touch of a stranger, in the recollection of images that no longer belonged to me"?
3. Who is compared to a praying mantis?
4. Where does Nuria hide Julián's books?
5. Who did Fermín marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is in the letter Daniel receives at the bookshop?
2. How do the Barcelos convince Father Fernando to marry Bea and Daniel?
3. Why do people think Julián is the one who died in the restaurant in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 8?
4. Why does Daniel go exploring in The Angel of Mist in City of Shadows Chapter 34?
5. What did the newspapers publish about Fumero's death?
6. What does Daniel learn about Fermín in City of Shadows Chapter 36?
7. Why does Palacios ask Daniel to get into his car after Nuria's funeral?
8. What does Daniel learn about Julián's parents in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 3?
9. Why is Daniel's and his father's dinner interrupted in City of Shadows Chapter 40?
10. Why does Tomás beat up Daniel in The Shadow of the Wind Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, Daniel, the story's narrator at this point, says, "A secret's worth depends on the people from whom it must be kept." What do you think Daniel means by this? How does keeping secrets influence the story? Does Daniel's statement hold true to specific events in the book? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Daniel's relationship with his father. How is Daniel's relationship with his father different from that of Julián with Fortuny and Tomás and his father? How does Daniel's relationship with his father impact and influence the story?
Essay Topic 3
At Nuria's funeral, Palacios pulls Daniel aside and tells Daniel that Nuria's last words were, "There are worse prisons than words" and to let " Penélope go." Palacious thinks the words are intended for Daniel. Who are the words really intended for? Explore what Nuria means by this statement. How is it relevant that these are her final words?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)