|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies in the café?
2. Where does Nuria hide Julián's books?
3. Where does Daniel find Bea?
4. Who kills Jorge Aldaya?
5. Who is following Daniel and Fermín?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the newspapers publish about Fumero's death?
2. What is in the letter Daniel receives at the bookshop?
3. How does Daniel know Julián was in his room at the hospital?
4. What does Daniel discover in The Angel of Mist after his tryst with Bea is interrupted?
5. How do the Barcelos convince Father Fernando to marry Bea and Daniel?
6. Why does Daniel go to see Nuria Monfort in City of Shadows Chapter 37 and 38?
7. What does the newspaper's headline imply in City of Shadows Chapter 40?
8. What does Daniel learn about Fermín in City of Shadows Chapter 36?
9. What does Isaac give Daniel after Nuria's funeral in City of Shadows Chapter 44?
10. How does the book end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Shadow of the Wind shows the impact a book can have on someone's life. How does the story illustrate the impact of literature? Use Daniel and Julián as examples.
Essay Topic 2
The Angel of Mist plays an important role in the story to the extent that it could almost be considered a "character." What role does The Angel of Mist play in both Daniel's and Julián's portions of the story? Why is the place so important that it could be considered a "character" in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Daniel says that a regular customer in his father's bookshop once said, "...few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds its way into the heart. Those first images, the echo of words we think we have left behind, accompany us throughout our lives and sculpt a palace in our memory..." What does the customer mean by this statement? How does The Shadow of the Wind become that book for Daniel? How does his reading of the book impact his life?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)