|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of relationship does Miquel's story reveal about Julián and Penélope?
2. Who performs the ceremony?
3. What does Daniel discover in the cellar?
4. What does Daniel hear outside of the apartment he's visiting?
5. Who does Jorge go to see when he returns to Barcelona?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daniel discover in The Angel of Mist after his tryst with Bea is interrupted?
2. What is in the letter Daniel receives at the bookshop?
3. What does Isaac give Daniel after Nuria's funeral in City of Shadows Chapter 44?
4. What does Daniel learn about Fermín in City of Shadows Chapter 36?
5. Why does Daniel go exploring in The Angel of Mist in City of Shadows Chapter 34?
6. What does Julián discover in The Angel of Mist in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 10?
7. Why does Daniel go to see Nuria Monfort in City of Shadows Chapter 37 and 38?
8. Why does Ricardo Aldaya seek out Julián and his mother, according to Nuria in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 4?
9. How does Nuria meet Julián?
10. Why do people think Julián is the one who died in the restaurant in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, Daniel says, "Childhood devotions make unfaithful and fickle lovers..." What does he mean by this? What are Daniel's childhood devotions that looking back he sees fit into this statement? What are your childhood devotions that might fit with this statement? Describe how both Daniel's and your childhood devotions make this statement true or false.
Essay Topic 2
Several secondary characters have an impact on Daniel's life. Explain, using examples from the text, how the following characters impact Daniel's life and influence the story:
a) Gustavo Barcelo.
b) Tomás Aguilar.
c) Don Federico.
d) Father Fernando.
Essay Topic 3
Shadows are an important symbol in the novel. What do the shadows in the book represent? How do shadows and the things they represent play a role in the story?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)