|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Making money isn't hard in itself...What's hard is to earn it doing something worth devoting one's life to"?
2. Who says, "We humans are willing to believe anything rather than the truth"?
3. Who is Daniel speaking about when he says, "I knew that one day she would return to me, in months or years to come, that I would always relive her memory in the touch of a stranger, in the recollection of images that no longer belonged to me"?
4. What surprises Daniel about Julián's story?
5. What does Daniel discover in the cellar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julián learn about Daniel's copy of The Shadow of the Wind?
2. What does Julián discover in The Angel of Mist in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 10?
3. Where does Fermín take Daniel the night before the wedding?
4. Why does Ricardo Aldaya seek out Julián and his mother, according to Nuria in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 4?
5. Why does Daniel decide to call Bea's house in City of Shadows Chapter 35?
6. What does Daniel learn about Fermín in City of Shadows Chapter 36?
7. How does Nuria meet Julián?
8. Why do people think Julián is the one who died in the restaurant in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 8?
9. Why does Daniel go exploring in The Angel of Mist in City of Shadows Chapter 34?
10. Why is Daniel's and his father's dinner interrupted in City of Shadows Chapter 40?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shadows are an important symbol in the novel. What do the shadows in the book represent? How do shadows and the things they represent play a role in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The title of Carlos Ruiz Zafon's book, The Shadow of the Wind, is the same as the title of Julián Carax's book that is the center of the storyline. What is the relevance of the books having the same title? Do you think it is appropriate that the two stories share a title? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The author, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, uses foreshadowing to help the reader predict. Highlight at least three instances of foreshadowing and how those instances work to help the reader figure out future events and outcomes in the story.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)