|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Bea's classmates tell Daniel she was not in school?
2. Where does Daniel go after dinner in City of Shadows Chapter 35
3. Who becomes Laín Coubert?
4. Who had last come to see Jacinta?
5. Where does Daniel take Fermín after they are assaulted by the police?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the newspaper's headline imply in City of Shadows Chapter 40?
2. Why does Daniel go exploring in The Angel of Mist in City of Shadows Chapter 34?
3. What is in the letter Daniel receives at the bookshop?
4. How does the book end?
5. Why do people think Julián is the one who died in the restaurant in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 8?
6. How does Nuria meet Julián?
7. Why does Tomás beat up Daniel in The Shadow of the Wind Chapter 1?
8. Why does Daniel decide to call Bea's house in City of Shadows Chapter 35?
9. Where does Fermín take Daniel the night before the wedding?
10. How do the Barcelos convince Father Fernando to marry Bea and Daniel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After he discovers Penélope is dead, Julián takes on the role of Laín Coubert, the devil, from his books and sets out to find and destroy every copy of all of his own books. What is his goal in doing this? What is he trying to do? How does he believe destroying his books will affect his story?
Essay Topic 2
The Shadow of the Wind shows the impact a book can have on someone's life. How does the story illustrate the impact of literature? Use Daniel and Julián as examples.
Essay Topic 3
The Shadow of the Wind uses the narration of Daniel, Nuria and Julián to tell the entire story. How do these multiple viewpoints and narrations aid in the story's development? Explore each character's contribution to the story using specific examples from the text.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)