|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Daniel and Bea work?
2. Whose body do they discover with Fumero's?
3. Who does Daniel think murdered Julián?
4. Who is now the keeper of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books?
5. Who says, "You should despise me...It would bring you luck"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the newspapers publish about Fumero's death?
2. Why do people think Julián is the one who died in the restaurant in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 8?
3. How does Nuria meet Julián?
4. What is in the letter Daniel receives at the bookshop?
5. Why does Daniel decide to call Bea's house in City of Shadows Chapter 35?
6. Why does Daniel take Fermín to the Barcelos in City of Shadows Chapter 32?
7. Why does Tomás beat up Daniel in The Shadow of the Wind Chapter 1?
8. Where does Fermín take Daniel the night before the wedding?
9. What does the newspaper's headline imply in City of Shadows Chapter 40?
10. What does Daniel discover in The Angel of Mist after his tryst with Bea is interrupted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Daniel has very different and sometime complicated relationships with women. Describe Daniel's relationships with Clara, Nuria and Bea. How do those relationships affect Daniel's life? How are his dealings with each woman different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
Daniel's portion of The Shadow of the Wind is set after the Spanish Civil war, while a portion of Julián's story is set during the war. The war has an impact on both stories. Describe how the civil war affects Daniel's story as well as Julián's story. Be sure to use specific references from the story.
Essay Topic 3
The Angel of Mist plays an important role in the story to the extent that it could almost be considered a "character." What role does The Angel of Mist play in both Daniel's and Julián's portions of the story? Why is the place so important that it could be considered a "character" in the book?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)