|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Julián's real father?
2. Who says, "Making money isn't hard in itself...What's hard is to earn it doing something worth devoting one's life to"?
3. Where does Nuria hide Julián's books?
4. Who does Nuria hide from at work?
5. What does Daniel hear outside of the apartment he's visiting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Daniel go to see Nuria Monfort in City of Shadows Chapter 37 and 38?
2. What is in the letter Daniel receives at the bookshop?
3. What does the newspaper's headline imply in City of Shadows Chapter 40?
4. How does the book end?
5. What does Julián discover in The Angel of Mist in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 10?
6. What does Daniel discover in The Angel of Mist after his tryst with Bea is interrupted?
7. How does Daniel know Julián was in his room at the hospital?
8. Why is someone burning Julián's books?
9. Why do people think Julián is the one who died in the restaurant in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 8?
10. What does Isaac give Daniel after Nuria's funeral in City of Shadows Chapter 44?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shadows are an important symbol in the novel. What do the shadows in the book represent? How do shadows and the things they represent play a role in the story?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Daniel says, "Childhood devotions make unfaithful and fickle lovers..." What does he mean by this? What are Daniel's childhood devotions that looking back he sees fit into this statement? What are your childhood devotions that might fit with this statement? Describe how both Daniel's and your childhood devotions make this statement true or false.
Essay Topic 3
The Shadow of the Wind is a coming-of-age story for Daniel. Describe how Daniel changes throughout the story - from when the reader is first introduced to him at age 10, to Daniel's 16th birthday, to his marriage and fatherhood at the end of the novel. Use specific references and quotes from the story in your answer.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)