|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "You should despise me...It would bring you luck"?
2. From whom does Julián discover Daniel has a copy of The Shadow of the Wind?
3. How does Fermín say he feels after being treated by the doctor?
4. Who says, "In seven days' time, I would be dead"?
5. Who does Nuria marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Daniel go exploring in The Angel of Mist in City of Shadows Chapter 34?
2. Why is Daniel's and his father's dinner interrupted in City of Shadows Chapter 40?
3. Why does Daniel tell Gustavo about their story and Julián?
4. How does Fumero die?
5. How does Daniel know Julián was in his room at the hospital?
6. What does Isaac give Daniel after Nuria's funeral in City of Shadows Chapter 44?
7. Why is someone burning Julián's books?
8. Why does Ricardo Aldaya seek out Julián and his mother, according to Nuria in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 4?
9. What does Julián discover in The Angel of Mist in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 10?
10. What does Daniel learn about Fermín in City of Shadows Chapter 36?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several people who know Julián mention that Daniel reminds them of Julián. In the book, how are Daniel and Julián alike? How are they different? Compare and contrast their lives as presented in the story. Use specific examples and quotes in your response.
Essay Topic 2
After he discovers Penélope is dead, Julián takes on the role of Laín Coubert, the devil, from his books and sets out to find and destroy every copy of all of his own books. What is his goal in doing this? What is he trying to do? How does he believe destroying his books will affect his story?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 5, Daniel says, "Childhood devotions make unfaithful and fickle lovers..." What does he mean by this? What are Daniel's childhood devotions that looking back he sees fit into this statement? What are your childhood devotions that might fit with this statement? Describe how both Daniel's and your childhood devotions make this statement true or false.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)