|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who picks Daniel up from the funeral?
2. What does Daniel hear outside of the apartment he's visiting?
3. What do Daniel and Fermín learn about Jacinta on their second visit to her home?
4. Who says, "In seven days' time, I would be dead"?
5. What did Julián's mother do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Fermín take Daniel the night before the wedding?
2. What does Daniel learn about Fermín in City of Shadows Chapter 36?
3. Why is Daniel's and his father's dinner interrupted in City of Shadows Chapter 40?
4. What is in the letter Daniel receives at the bookshop?
5. How does the book end?
6. Why does Daniel tell Gustavo about their story and Julián?
7. How do the Barcelos convince Father Fernando to marry Bea and Daniel?
8. What did the newspapers publish about Fumero's death?
9. What does Isaac give Daniel after Nuria's funeral in City of Shadows Chapter 44?
10. Why does Daniel go exploring in The Angel of Mist in City of Shadows Chapter 34?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, Daniel says, "Childhood devotions make unfaithful and fickle lovers..." What does he mean by this? What are Daniel's childhood devotions that looking back he sees fit into this statement? What are your childhood devotions that might fit with this statement? Describe how both Daniel's and your childhood devotions make this statement true or false.
Essay Topic 2
The title of Carlos Ruiz Zafon's book, The Shadow of the Wind, is the same as the title of Julián Carax's book that is the center of the storyline. What is the relevance of the books having the same title? Do you think it is appropriate that the two stories share a title? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Daniel says that a regular customer in his father's bookshop once said, "...few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds its way into the heart. Those first images, the echo of words we think we have left behind, accompany us throughout our lives and sculpt a palace in our memory..." What does the customer mean by this statement? How does The Shadow of the Wind become that book for Daniel? How does his reading of the book impact his life?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)