|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Daniel take Fermín after they are assaulted by the police?
2. Who does Jorge go to see when he returns to Barcelona?
3. Who says, "I could help you...I have a surplus of what you both lack: money and common sense"?
4. What does Bea's father give Daniel?
5. Who says, "One loves truly only once in a lifetime...even if one isn't aware of it"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julián learn about Daniel's copy of The Shadow of the Wind?
2. Why does Daniel go to see Nuria Monfort in City of Shadows Chapter 37 and 38?
3. Why does Palacios ask Daniel to get into his car after Nuria's funeral?
4. What does Daniel discover in The Angel of Mist after his tryst with Bea is interrupted?
5. What is in the letter Daniel receives at the bookshop?
6. How does Fumero die?
7. Why does Tomás beat up Daniel in The Shadow of the Wind Chapter 1?
8. Why does Daniel take Fermín to the Barcelos in City of Shadows Chapter 32?
9. Why do people think Julián is the one who died in the restaurant in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 8?
10. How does Nuria meet Julián?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, Daniel, the story's narrator at this point, says, "A secret's worth depends on the people from whom it must be kept." What do you think Daniel means by this? How does keeping secrets influence the story? Does Daniel's statement hold true to specific events in the book? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, uses foreshadowing to help the reader predict. Highlight at least three instances of foreshadowing and how those instances work to help the reader figure out future events and outcomes in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Many portions of the story pit good against evil. How do these confrontations play out? How does the author represent both good and evil in the story through characters and symbols? Which do you think triumphs in the end - good or evil?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)