|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had last come to see Jacinta?
2. Who picks Daniel up from the funeral?
3. How does Fermín say he feels after being treated by the doctor?
4. According to Fermín's story, how did he meet Fumero?
5. What does Daniel give his father at the end of City of Shadows Chapter 44?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Daniel know Julián was in his room at the hospital?
2. Why do people think Julián is the one who died in the restaurant in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 8?
3. What does Julián discover in The Angel of Mist in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 10?
4. Why does Tomás beat up Daniel in The Shadow of the Wind Chapter 1?
5. What does Daniel learn about Fermín in City of Shadows Chapter 36?
6. Why does Palacios ask Daniel to get into his car after Nuria's funeral?
7. What is in the letter Daniel receives at the bookshop?
8. Why does Ricardo Aldaya seek out Julián and his mother, according to Nuria in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 4?
9. How does the book end?
10. Where does Fermín take Daniel the night before the wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Daniel's portion of The Shadow of the Wind is set after the Spanish Civil war, while a portion of Julián's story is set during the war. The war has an impact on both stories. Describe how the civil war affects Daniel's story as well as Julián's story. Be sure to use specific references from the story.
Essay Topic 2
After he discovers Penélope is dead, Julián takes on the role of Laín Coubert, the devil, from his books and sets out to find and destroy every copy of all of his own books. What is his goal in doing this? What is he trying to do? How does he believe destroying his books will affect his story?
Essay Topic 3
Daniel has very different and sometime complicated relationships with women. Describe Daniel's relationships with Clara, Nuria and Bea. How do those relationships affect Daniel's life? How are his dealings with each woman different? How are they similar?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)