|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Daniel encounter in the movie theater?
2. Who wants to be "Someone whom a child will not only love because he's his father but will also admire for the person he is"?
3. What is the Aldayas' house called?
4. Who did Nuria say wanted to find Julián in Paris?
5. Where does Bea want Daniel to meet her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter Daniel took from Julián's old apartment say?
2. Why does Nuria think someone wants to destroy Julián's books?
3. What happens when Daniel and Fermín leave the hospice?
4. What object does Daniel desire so greatly in Days of Ashes Chapter 5?
5. What does Fermín discover about the post office box that was getting mail for Julián's mother?
6. Why does Daniel bring Fermín to meet his father?
7. How does Daniel feel about Clara upon first meeting her in Days of Ashes Chapter 2?
8. What happens when Daniel delivers a book to Professor Velázquez?
9. What does Daniel show Bea on their first date in City of Shadows Chapter 21?
10. Who does Daniel meet on the street on his 16th birthday, and what does the person want from Daniel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Daniel's relationship with his father. How is Daniel's relationship with his father different from that of Julián with Fortuny and Tomás and his father? How does Daniel's relationship with his father impact and influence the story?
Essay Topic 2
Several people who know Julián mention that Daniel reminds them of Julián. In the book, how are Daniel and Julián alike? How are they different? Compare and contrast their lives as presented in the story. Use specific examples and quotes in your response.
Essay Topic 3
The title of Carlos Ruiz Zafon's book, The Shadow of the Wind, is the same as the title of Julián Carax's book that is the center of the storyline. What is the relevance of the books having the same title? Do you think it is appropriate that the two stories share a title? Why?
This section contains 1,491 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)