|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is the Tenebrarium known?
2. Which character says, "Television...is the Antichrist"?
3. Who does Daniel meet when he delivers books to Professor Velázquez?
4. Where do Fermín and Daniel plan to go to find more information about Julián?
5. Who does Fermín discover received the mail from the post office box?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bea know about the Aldaya home?
2. What happens on Daniel's 16th birthday?
3. What does Father Fernando tell Daniel and Fermín about Julián in City of Shadows Chapter 24?
4. Describe Nuria Monfort.
5. What effect does the visitor to the bookshop have in True to Character Chapter 13?
6. What does the letter Daniel took from Julián's old apartment say?
7. Why does Nuria think someone wants to destroy Julián's books?
8. How did Ricardo Aldaya acquire The Angel of Mist?
9. What does Jacinta tell Daniel and Fermín about Penélope and Julián?
10. Describe Gustavo Barcelo.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, uses foreshadowing to help the reader predict. Highlight at least three instances of foreshadowing and how those instances work to help the reader figure out future events and outcomes in the story.
Essay Topic 2
The Shadow of the Wind is a coming-of-age story for Daniel. Describe how Daniel changes throughout the story - from when the reader is first introduced to him at age 10, to Daniel's 16th birthday, to his marriage and fatherhood at the end of the novel. Use specific references and quotes from the story in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Shadows are an important symbol in the novel. What do the shadows in the book represent? How do shadows and the things they represent play a role in the story?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)