|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gustavo offer Daniel at their first meeting?
2. Who is the caretaker of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books?
3. What is unusual about Clara?
4. What does Daniel give Clara?
5. What object does Daniel desire in Days of Ashes Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe The Cemetery of Forgotten Books.
2. Why does Daniel wake up screaming at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Daniel learn about Julián and the Fortuny family when he goes to the Fortuny hat shop in City of Shadows Chapter 15?
4. Why is Bea waiting outside the bookshop for Daniel in City of Shadows Chapter 26?
5. How does Daniel feel about Clara upon first meeting her in Days of Ashes Chapter 2?
6. What object does Daniel desire so greatly in Days of Ashes Chapter 5?
7. How did Ricardo Aldaya acquire The Angel of Mist?
8. What happens when Daniel delivers a book to Professor Velázquez?
9. What does Jacinta tell Daniel and Fermín about Penélope and Julián?
10. How does Bea know about the Aldaya home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, Daniel, the story's narrator at this point, says, "A secret's worth depends on the people from whom it must be kept." What do you think Daniel means by this? How does keeping secrets influence the story? Does Daniel's statement hold true to specific events in the book? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
After he discovers Penélope is dead, Julián takes on the role of Laín Coubert, the devil, from his books and sets out to find and destroy every copy of all of his own books. What is his goal in doing this? What is he trying to do? How does he believe destroying his books will affect his story?
Essay Topic 3
When Daniel and Fermín first meet, they are extremely different from each other. After Daniel brings Fermín to work at the bookshop, the two become fast friends. Compare and contrast Daniel and Fermín. For example, how are their priorities different? How are their backgrounds different? How do they each approach life?
This section contains 1,445 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)