|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Daniel tell Gustavo he found the book?
2. What object does Daniel desire in Days of Ashes Chapter 5?
3. What does Daniel promise the old man who tells him where the person he's looking for is?
4. What does Gustavo offer Daniel at their first meeting?
5. Where does Bea want Daniel to meet her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter Daniel took from Julián's old apartment say?
2. What does Father Fernando tell Daniel and Fermín about Julián in City of Shadows Chapter 24?
3. How does Fumero die?
4. Why does Palacios ask Daniel to get into his car after Nuria's funeral?
5. Describe Nuria Monfort.
6. How does Nuria meet Julián?
7. How does Daniel know Julián was in his room at the hospital?
8. What happens on Daniel's 16th birthday?
9. Why does Daniel tell Gustavo about their story and Julián?
10. What happens when Daniel and Fermín leave the hospice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, Daniel says, "Childhood devotions make unfaithful and fickle lovers..." What does he mean by this? What are Daniel's childhood devotions that looking back he sees fit into this statement? What are your childhood devotions that might fit with this statement? Describe how both Daniel's and your childhood devotions make this statement true or false.
Essay Topic 2
Shadows are an important symbol in the novel. What do the shadows in the book represent? How do shadows and the things they represent play a role in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Daniel says that a regular customer in his father's bookshop once said, "...few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds its way into the heart. Those first images, the echo of words we think we have left behind, accompany us throughout our lives and sculpt a palace in our memory..." What does the customer mean by this statement? How does The Shadow of the Wind become that book for Daniel? How does his reading of the book impact his life?
This section contains 2,059 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)