|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told the story of Federico's arrest?
2. According to Nuria's first story about Julián, what did Julián have in his possession when he died?
3. How many copies of The Shadow of the Wind are there?
4. How do Fermín and Daniel get into the nun's institution?
5. Why does Daniel wake up screaming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter Daniel took from Julián's old apartment say?
2. How did Tomás and Daniel meet and become friends?
3. Describe The Cemetery of Forgotten Books.
4. What does Jacinta tell Daniel and Fermín about Penélope and Julián?
5. How did Ricardo Aldaya acquire The Angel of Mist?
6. How does Bea know about the Aldaya home?
7. What does the neighboring caretaker tell Daniel about the Aldayas' house in City of Shadows Chapter 17?
8. How was Clara Barcelo introduced to the works of Julián Carax?
9. What does Father Fernando tell Daniel and Fermín about Julián in City of Shadows Chapter 24?
10. What does Clara tell Daniel about Julián Carax's books in Days of Ashes Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, Daniel says, "Childhood devotions make unfaithful and fickle lovers..." What does he mean by this? What are Daniel's childhood devotions that looking back he sees fit into this statement? What are your childhood devotions that might fit with this statement? Describe how both Daniel's and your childhood devotions make this statement true or false.
Essay Topic 2
Daniel has very different and sometime complicated relationships with women. Describe Daniel's relationships with Clara, Nuria and Bea. How do those relationships affect Daniel's life? How are his dealings with each woman different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Daniel's relationship with his father. How is Daniel's relationship with his father different from that of Julián with Fortuny and Tomás and his father? How does Daniel's relationship with his father impact and influence the story?
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)