|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object does Daniel desire in Days of Ashes Chapter 5?
2. According to Fermín, what is a "warm heart, cold mind"?
3. Where does Daniel's father work?
4. Who does Daniel discover with Clara?
5. Where do Bea and Daniel plan to make their regular meeting place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Daniel and Fermín leave the hospice?
2. Describe Nuria Monfort.
3. What does Fermín discover about the post office box that was getting mail for Julián's mother?
4. Describe Gustavo Barcelo.
5. Describe The Cemetery of Forgotten Books.
6. How did Ricardo Aldaya acquire The Angel of Mist?
7. What does Jacinta tell Daniel and Fermín about Penélope and Julián?
8. Why is Bea waiting outside the bookshop for Daniel in City of Shadows Chapter 26?
9. What happens to Don Federico in City of Shadows Chapter 18?
10. What happens on Daniel's 16th birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Shadow of the Wind uses the narration of Daniel, Nuria and Julián to tell the entire story. How do these multiple viewpoints and narrations aid in the story's development? Explore each character's contribution to the story using specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Shadows are an important symbol in the novel. What do the shadows in the book represent? How do shadows and the things they represent play a role in the story?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, Daniel, the story's narrator at this point, says, "A secret's worth depends on the people from whom it must be kept." What do you think Daniel means by this? How does keeping secrets influence the story? Does Daniel's statement hold true to specific events in the book? Explain.
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)