|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bea know the story of "The Angel of Mist"?
2. What does Daniel give Clara?
3. What kind of relationship did Penélope and Julián have?
4. Who told the story of Federico's arrest?
5. What do Bea and Daniel do at the end of their first date?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Daniel's father take him to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books?
2. Who does Daniel meet on the street on his 16th birthday, and what does the person want from Daniel?
3. What happens to Don Federico in City of Shadows Chapter 18?
4. What surprises Daniel when he inquires about Julián Carax and his works?
5. What does Clara tell Daniel about Julián Carax's books in Days of Ashes Chapter 4?
6. What does Daniel show Bea on their first date in City of Shadows Chapter 21?
7. What does Father Fernando tell Daniel and Fermín about Julián in City of Shadows Chapter 24?
8. How does Daniel feel about Clara upon first meeting her in Days of Ashes Chapter 2?
9. Describe The Cemetery of Forgotten Books.
10. Describe the Santa Lucia Hospice.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the climax of The Shadow of the Wind. How has the author prepared the reader for this event? How is the climax/main conflict resolved?
Essay Topic 2
The Shadow of the Wind shows the impact a book can have on someone's life. How does the story illustrate the impact of literature? Use Daniel and Julián as examples.
Essay Topic 3
After he discovers Penélope is dead, Julián takes on the role of Laín Coubert, the devil, from his books and sets out to find and destroy every copy of all of his own books. What is his goal in doing this? What is he trying to do? How does he believe destroying his books will affect his story?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)