|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Fermín and Daniel looking for at the Tenebrarium?
2. Why was Federico, the watchmaker, arrested?
3. Who does Father Fernando think set fire to Julián's books?
4. What is the rumor about the place Daniel visits?
5. What does Doña Aurora call Daniel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Don Federico in City of Shadows Chapter 18?
2. What surprises Daniel when he inquires about Julián Carax and his works?
3. What does Isaac give Daniel after Nuria's funeral in City of Shadows Chapter 44?
4. What does Julián discover in The Angel of Mist in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 10?
5. How was Clara Barcelo introduced to the works of Julián Carax?
6. Why does Daniel take Fermín to the Barcelos in City of Shadows Chapter 32?
7. Why does Tomás beat up Daniel in The Shadow of the Wind Chapter 1?
8. What does Daniel learn about Julián's parents in Nuria Monfort: Remembrance of the Lost Chapter 3?
9. What happens when Daniel delivers a book to Professor Velázquez?
10. Why does Daniel decide to call Bea's house in City of Shadows Chapter 35?
Essay Topic 1
Shadows are an important symbol in the novel. What do the shadows in the book represent? How do shadows and the things they represent play a role in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Daniel says that a regular customer in his father's bookshop once said, "...few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds its way into the heart. Those first images, the echo of words we think we have left behind, accompany us throughout our lives and sculpt a palace in our memory..." What does the customer mean by this statement? How does The Shadow of the Wind become that book for Daniel? How does his reading of the book impact his life?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 5, Daniel says, "Childhood devotions make unfaithful and fickle lovers..." What does he mean by this? What are Daniel's childhood devotions that looking back he sees fit into this statement? What are your childhood devotions that might fit with this statement? Describe how both Daniel's and your childhood devotions make this statement true or false.
This section contains 2,057 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)