|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Daniel meet when he delivers books to Professor Velázquez?
2. What is unusual about Clara?
3. What happened to most of Julián's books, according to Nuria?
4. Who does Daniel encounter in the movie theater?
5. What item is all over the locked room in Julián's old Barcelona home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Daniel wake up screaming at the beginning of the book?
2. What does the letter Daniel took from Julián's old apartment say?
3. Who does Daniel meet on the street on his 16th birthday, and what does the person want from Daniel?
4. Describe The Cemetery of Forgotten Books.
5. Why does Nuria think someone wants to destroy Julián's books?
6. How does Bea know about the Aldaya home?
7. Describe Gustavo Barcelo.
8. How did Tomás and Daniel meet and become friends?
9. Why does Daniel's father take him to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books?
10. Describe Nuria Monfort.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several secondary characters have an impact on Daniel's life. Explain, using examples from the text, how the following characters impact Daniel's life and influence the story:
a) Gustavo Barcelo.
b) Tomás Aguilar.
c) Don Federico.
d) Father Fernando.
Essay Topic 2
Shadows are an important symbol in the novel. What do the shadows in the book represent? How do shadows and the things they represent play a role in the story?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 5, Daniel says, "Childhood devotions make unfaithful and fickle lovers..." What does he mean by this? What are Daniel's childhood devotions that looking back he sees fit into this statement? What are your childhood devotions that might fit with this statement? Describe how both Daniel's and your childhood devotions make this statement true or false.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)