|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of relationship did Penélope and Julián have?
2. Who is the author of the book Daniel takes from the shelf?
3. What object does Daniel desire in Days of Ashes Chapter 5?
4. What does Fermín say is "usually just around the corner"?
5. Who does Daniel's father hire as an assistant in the shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Daniel's father take him to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books?
2. What does Jacinta tell Daniel and Fermín about Penélope and Julián?
3. How was Clara Barcelo introduced to the works of Julián Carax?
4. What happens on Daniel's 16th birthday?
5. How did Tomás and Daniel meet and become friends?
6. Why does Daniel bring Fermín to meet his father?
7. Who does Daniel meet on the street on his 16th birthday, and what does the person want from Daniel?
8. What does Father Fernando tell Daniel and Fermín about Julián in City of Shadows Chapter 24?
9. What does Clara tell Daniel about Julián Carax's books in Days of Ashes Chapter 4?
10. How does Bea know about the Aldaya home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, Daniel says, "Childhood devotions make unfaithful and fickle lovers..." What does he mean by this? What are Daniel's childhood devotions that looking back he sees fit into this statement? What are your childhood devotions that might fit with this statement? Describe how both Daniel's and your childhood devotions make this statement true or false.
Essay Topic 2
The title of Carlos Ruiz Zafon's book, The Shadow of the Wind, is the same as the title of Julián Carax's book that is the center of the storyline. What is the relevance of the books having the same title? Do you think it is appropriate that the two stories share a title? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Daniel's relationship with his father. How is Daniel's relationship with his father different from that of Julián with Fortuny and Tomás and his father? How does Daniel's relationship with his father impact and influence the story?
This section contains 1,444 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)