|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Bea and Daniel plan to make their regular meeting place?
2. What object does Daniel desire in Days of Ashes Chapter 5?
3. Who does Daniel discover with Clara?
4. Who wants to be "Someone whom a child will not only love because he's his father but will also admire for the person he is"?
5. For what is the Tenebrarium known?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bea waiting outside the bookshop for Daniel in City of Shadows Chapter 26?
2. How was Clara Barcelo introduced to the works of Julián Carax?
3. How does Daniel feel about Clara upon first meeting her in Days of Ashes Chapter 2?
4. Describe The Cemetery of Forgotten Books.
5. What happens to Don Federico in City of Shadows Chapter 18?
6. How does Daniel feel about his choice of The Shadow of the Wind?
7. What happens on Daniel's 16th birthday?
8. What happens when Daniel and Fermín leave the hospice?
9. What does Father Fernando tell Daniel and Fermín about Julián in City of Shadows Chapter 24?
10. Describe the Santa Lucia Hospice.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Daniel's relationship with his father. How is Daniel's relationship with his father different from that of Julián with Fortuny and Tomás and his father? How does Daniel's relationship with his father impact and influence the story?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Daniel says, "Childhood devotions make unfaithful and fickle lovers..." What does he mean by this? What are Daniel's childhood devotions that looking back he sees fit into this statement? What are your childhood devotions that might fit with this statement? Describe how both Daniel's and your childhood devotions make this statement true or false.
Essay Topic 3
Several secondary characters have an impact on Daniel's life. Explain, using examples from the text, how the following characters impact Daniel's life and influence the story:
a) Gustavo Barcelo.
b) Tomás Aguilar.
c) Don Federico.
d) Father Fernando.
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)