|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of relationship did Penélope and Julián have?
2. Where do Daniel and his father live?
3. What Julián Carax book does Monsieur Roquefort give Clara?
4. Where does Daniel's father work?
5. What does Doña Aurora call Daniel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Clara Barcelo introduced to the works of Julián Carax?
2. What surprises Daniel when he inquires about Julián Carax and his works?
3. What happens when Daniel and Fermín leave the hospice?
4. What effect does the visitor to the bookshop have in True to Character Chapter 13?
5. Why does Nuria think someone wants to destroy Julián's books?
6. How did Tomás and Daniel meet and become friends?
7. Why does Daniel's father take him to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books?
8. How does Bea know about the Aldaya home?
9. What happens when Daniel delivers a book to Professor Velázquez?
10. Who does Daniel meet on the street on his 16th birthday, and what does the person want from Daniel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Angel of Mist plays an important role in the story to the extent that it could almost be considered a "character." What role does The Angel of Mist play in both Daniel's and Julián's portions of the story? Why is the place so important that it could be considered a "character" in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Daniel has very different and sometime complicated relationships with women. Describe Daniel's relationships with Clara, Nuria and Bea. How do those relationships affect Daniel's life? How are his dealings with each woman different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
Daniel's portion of The Shadow of the Wind is set after the Spanish Civil war, while a portion of Julián's story is set during the war. The war has an impact on both stories. Describe how the civil war affects Daniel's story as well as Julián's story. Be sure to use specific references from the story.
This section contains 1,447 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)