|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Daniel's father hire as an assistant in the shop?
2. Who does Father Fernando think set fire to Julián's books?
3. Who is the caretaker of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books?
4. What does Daniel promise the old man who tells him where the person he's looking for is?
5. According to Clara's story, what supposedly happened to Julián Carax?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Daniel when he inquires about Julián Carax and his works?
2. How does Daniel feel about his choice of The Shadow of the Wind?
3. What does Daniel show Bea on their first date in City of Shadows Chapter 21?
4. How does Daniel feel about Clara upon first meeting her in Days of Ashes Chapter 2?
5. What happens to Don Federico in City of Shadows Chapter 18?
6. What does Daniel learn about Julián and the Fortuny family when he goes to the Fortuny hat shop in City of Shadows Chapter 15?
7. What does the letter Daniel took from Julián's old apartment say?
8. What object does Daniel desire so greatly in Days of Ashes Chapter 5?
9. What does Clara tell Daniel about Julián Carax's books in Days of Ashes Chapter 4?
10. What does Fermín discover about the post office box that was getting mail for Julián's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, uses foreshadowing to help the reader predict. Highlight at least three instances of foreshadowing and how those instances work to help the reader figure out future events and outcomes in the story.
Essay Topic 2
The Shadow of the Wind shows the impact a book can have on someone's life. How does the story illustrate the impact of literature? Use Daniel and Julián as examples.
Essay Topic 3
At Nuria's funeral, Palacios pulls Daniel aside and tells Daniel that Nuria's last words were, "There are worse prisons than words" and to let " Penélope go." Palacious thinks the words are intended for Daniel. Who are the words really intended for? Explore what Nuria means by this statement. How is it relevant that these are her final words?
This section contains 1,399 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)