|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets Daniel at the Barcelos' house?
2. Why does Daniel wake up screaming?
3. Where do Bea and Daniel plan to make their regular meeting place?
4. According to Fermín, what is a "warm heart, cold mind"?
5. Who does Daniel see standing outside his window?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter Daniel took from Julián's old apartment say?
2. How did Tomás and Daniel meet and become friends?
3. What does Clara tell Daniel about Julián Carax's books in Days of Ashes Chapter 4?
4. What does Daniel learn about Julián and the Fortuny family when he goes to the Fortuny hat shop in City of Shadows Chapter 15?
5. What does Daniel show Bea on their first date in City of Shadows Chapter 21?
6. Why does Daniel tell Gustavo about their story and Julián?
7. How does Daniel feel about his choice of The Shadow of the Wind?
8. Why does Daniel decide to call Bea's house in City of Shadows Chapter 35?
9. Describe the Santa Lucia Hospice.
10. Why is Bea waiting outside the bookshop for Daniel in City of Shadows Chapter 26?
Essay Topic 1
Daniel has very different and sometime complicated relationships with women. Describe Daniel's relationships with Clara, Nuria and Bea. How do those relationships affect Daniel's life? How are his dealings with each woman different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
When Daniel and Fermín first meet, they are extremely different from each other. After Daniel brings Fermín to work at the bookshop, the two become fast friends. Compare and contrast Daniel and Fermín. For example, how are their priorities different? How are their backgrounds different? How do they each approach life?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 5, Daniel says, "Childhood devotions make unfaithful and fickle lovers..." What does he mean by this? What are Daniel's childhood devotions that looking back he sees fit into this statement? What are your childhood devotions that might fit with this statement? Describe how both Daniel's and your childhood devotions make this statement true or false.
This section contains 2,130 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)