|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Daniel meet Fermín for the first time?
2. What must a first-time visitor to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books do?
3. What is the Aldayas' house called?
4. Who do Daniel and Fermín ask the person at the Tenebrarium about?
5. According to Clara's story, what supposedly happened to Julián Carax?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Father Fernando tell Daniel and Fermín about Julián in City of Shadows Chapter 24?
2. Who does Daniel meet on the street on his 16th birthday, and what does the person want from Daniel?
3. What happens when Daniel delivers a book to Professor Velázquez?
4. What effect does the visitor to the bookshop have in True to Character Chapter 13?
5. How did Ricardo Aldaya acquire The Angel of Mist?
6. Why does Daniel wake up screaming at the beginning of the book?
7. Describe Nuria Monfort.
8. Who does Father Fernando think is destroying Julián's books?
9. Describe The Cemetery of Forgotten Books.
10. What surprises Daniel when he inquires about Julián Carax and his works?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, uses foreshadowing to help the reader predict. Highlight at least three instances of foreshadowing and how those instances work to help the reader figure out future events and outcomes in the story.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Daniel says, "Childhood devotions make unfaithful and fickle lovers..." What does he mean by this? What are Daniel's childhood devotions that looking back he sees fit into this statement? What are your childhood devotions that might fit with this statement? Describe how both Daniel's and your childhood devotions make this statement true or false.
Essay Topic 3
The Shadow of the Wind shows the impact a book can have on someone's life. How does the story illustrate the impact of literature? Use Daniel and Julián as examples.
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)