|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Federico, the watchmaker, arrested?
2. Who takes Daniel to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books?
3. What does Daniel say he remembers about his mother?
4. Who do Daniel and Fermín ask the person at the Tenebrarium about?
5. What does Daniel want from Gustavo in Days of Ashes Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Don Federico in City of Shadows Chapter 18?
2. Why is Bea waiting outside the bookshop for Daniel in City of Shadows Chapter 26?
3. Who does Father Fernando think is destroying Julián's books?
4. Why does Daniel bring Fermín to meet his father?
5. How does Daniel feel about his choice of The Shadow of the Wind?
6. What does Daniel learn about Julián and the Fortuny family when he goes to the Fortuny hat shop in City of Shadows Chapter 15?
7. What happens when Daniel delivers a book to Professor Velázquez?
8. Describe Gustavo Barcelo.
9. What does the letter Daniel took from Julián's old apartment say?
10. What does Fermín discover about the post office box that was getting mail for Julián's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Daniel says that a regular customer in his father's bookshop once said, "...few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds its way into the heart. Those first images, the echo of words we think we have left behind, accompany us throughout our lives and sculpt a palace in our memory..." What does the customer mean by this statement? How does The Shadow of the Wind become that book for Daniel? How does his reading of the book impact his life?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Daniel says, "Childhood devotions make unfaithful and fickle lovers..." What does he mean by this? What are Daniel's childhood devotions that looking back he sees fit into this statement? What are your childhood devotions that might fit with this statement? Describe how both Daniel's and your childhood devotions make this statement true or false.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Daniel's relationship with his father. How is Daniel's relationship with his father different from that of Julián with Fortuny and Tomás and his father? How does Daniel's relationship with his father impact and influence the story?
This section contains 1,455 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)