|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Daniel and Fermín ask the person at the Tenebrarium about?
2. What does Doña Aurora call Daniel?
3. How does Bea know the story of "The Angel of Mist"?
4. What does Daniel steal from Doña Aurora?
5. What is unusual about Clara?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ricardo Aldaya acquire The Angel of Mist?
2. What surprises Daniel when he inquires about Julián Carax and his works?
3. What happens to Don Federico in City of Shadows Chapter 18?
4. How does Bea know about the Aldaya home?
5. What effect does the visitor to the bookshop have in True to Character Chapter 13?
6. How was Clara Barcelo introduced to the works of Julián Carax?
7. Describe Gustavo Barcelo.
8. How does Daniel feel about his choice of The Shadow of the Wind?
9. How did Tomás and Daniel meet and become friends?
10. How does Daniel feel about Clara upon first meeting her in Days of Ashes Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Daniel's portion of The Shadow of the Wind is set after the Spanish Civil war, while a portion of Julián's story is set during the war. The war has an impact on both stories. Describe how the civil war affects Daniel's story as well as Julián's story. Be sure to use specific references from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Shadows are an important symbol in the novel. What do the shadows in the book represent? How do shadows and the things they represent play a role in the story?
Essay Topic 3
At Nuria's funeral, Palacios pulls Daniel aside and tells Daniel that Nuria's last words were, "There are worse prisons than words" and to let " Penélope go." Palacious thinks the words are intended for Daniel. Who are the words really intended for? Explore what Nuria means by this statement. How is it relevant that these are her final words?
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)