|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Daniel meet when he delivers books to Professor Velázquez?
2. According to Nuria's first story about Julián, what did Julián have in his possession when he died?
3. Which character says, "To truly hate is an art one learns with time"?
4. What is the Cemetery of Forgotten Books structured as?
5. Who takes Daniel to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the neighboring caretaker tell Daniel about the Aldayas' house in City of Shadows Chapter 17?
2. How was Clara Barcelo introduced to the works of Julián Carax?
3. What happens when Daniel delivers a book to Professor Velázquez?
4. Describe The Cemetery of Forgotten Books.
5. What does Clara tell Daniel about Julián Carax's books in Days of Ashes Chapter 4?
6. How did Ricardo Aldaya acquire The Angel of Mist?
7. What does the letter Daniel took from Julián's old apartment say?
8. What happens to Don Federico in City of Shadows Chapter 18?
9. Why does Daniel wake up screaming at the beginning of the book?
10. How does Daniel feel about his choice of The Shadow of the Wind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Daniel has very different and sometime complicated relationships with women. Describe Daniel's relationships with Clara, Nuria and Bea. How do those relationships affect Daniel's life? How are his dealings with each woman different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
Daniel's portion of The Shadow of the Wind is set after the Spanish Civil war, while a portion of Julián's story is set during the war. The war has an impact on both stories. Describe how the civil war affects Daniel's story as well as Julián's story. Be sure to use specific references from the story.
Essay Topic 3
The Shadow of the Wind shows the impact a book can have on someone's life. How does the story illustrate the impact of literature? Use Daniel and Julián as examples.
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)