|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bea know the story of "The Angel of Mist"?
2. Who is the author of the book Daniel takes from the shelf?
3. Who does Daniel discover with Clara?
4. Why did no one want to buy "The Angel of Mist"?
5. For what is the Tenebrarium known?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the visitor to the bookshop have in True to Character Chapter 13?
2. What does Clara tell Daniel about Julián Carax's books in Days of Ashes Chapter 4?
3. What does the letter Daniel took from Julián's old apartment say?
4. How does Daniel feel about Clara upon first meeting her in Days of Ashes Chapter 2?
5. Who does Father Fernando think is destroying Julián's books?
6. How does Daniel feel about his choice of The Shadow of the Wind?
7. What happens when Daniel and Fermín leave the hospice?
8. Why does Daniel wake up screaming at the beginning of the book?
9. Why does Nuria think someone wants to destroy Julián's books?
10. What surprises Daniel when he inquires about Julián Carax and his works?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Angel of Mist plays an important role in the story to the extent that it could almost be considered a "character." What role does The Angel of Mist play in both Daniel's and Julián's portions of the story? Why is the place so important that it could be considered a "character" in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Shadows are an important symbol in the novel. What do the shadows in the book represent? How do shadows and the things they represent play a role in the story?
Essay Topic 3
At Nuria's funeral, Palacios pulls Daniel aside and tells Daniel that Nuria's last words were, "There are worse prisons than words" and to let " Penélope go." Palacious thinks the words are intended for Daniel. Who are the words really intended for? Explore what Nuria means by this statement. How is it relevant that these are her final words?
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)