|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Julián end up at San Gabriel's School?
2. According to Fermín, how did Julián know Jorge Aldaya?
3. For whom was "The Angel of Mist" originally built?
4. What was the relationship between Jacinta and the Aldayas?
5. Who does Fermín discover received the mail from the post office box?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nuria think someone wants to destroy Julián's books?
2. How does Bea know about the Aldaya home?
3. Describe Nuria Monfort.
4. Describe The Cemetery of Forgotten Books.
5. What does the neighboring caretaker tell Daniel about the Aldayas' house in City of Shadows Chapter 17?
6. What does Daniel show Bea on their first date in City of Shadows Chapter 21?
7. Describe Gustavo Barcelo.
8. Why does Daniel bring Fermín to meet his father?
9. How did Tomás and Daniel meet and become friends?
10. What does the letter Daniel took from Julián's old apartment say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several people who know Julián mention that Daniel reminds them of Julián. In the book, how are Daniel and Julián alike? How are they different? Compare and contrast their lives as presented in the story. Use specific examples and quotes in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the climax of The Shadow of the Wind. How has the author prepared the reader for this event? How is the climax/main conflict resolved?
Essay Topic 3
Shadows are an important symbol in the novel. What do the shadows in the book represent? How do shadows and the things they represent play a role in the story?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)