|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nuria Monfort do for a living?
2. Who is the caretaker of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books?
3. What does Doña Aurora call Daniel?
4. According to Fermín, how did Julián know Jorge Aldaya?
5. Why did no one want to buy "The Angel of Mist"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tomás and Daniel meet and become friends?
2. What happens to Don Federico in City of Shadows Chapter 18?
3. What surprises Daniel when he inquires about Julián Carax and his works?
4. What does Jacinta tell Daniel and Fermín about Penélope and Julián?
5. How did Ricardo Aldaya acquire The Angel of Mist?
6. Why does Daniel's father take him to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books?
7. What happens when Daniel and Fermín leave the hospice?
8. How does Bea know about the Aldaya home?
9. Why is Bea waiting outside the bookshop for Daniel in City of Shadows Chapter 26?
10. Describe The Cemetery of Forgotten Books.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Daniel says that a regular customer in his father's bookshop once said, "...few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds its way into the heart. Those first images, the echo of words we think we have left behind, accompany us throughout our lives and sculpt a palace in our memory..." What does the customer mean by this statement? How does The Shadow of the Wind become that book for Daniel? How does his reading of the book impact his life?
Essay Topic 2
Daniel has very different and sometime complicated relationships with women. Describe Daniel's relationships with Clara, Nuria and Bea. How do those relationships affect Daniel's life? How are his dealings with each woman different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
Many portions of the story pit good against evil. How do these confrontations play out? How does the author represent both good and evil in the story through characters and symbols? Which do you think triumphs in the end - good or evil?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)