Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets Daniel at the Barcelos' house?
2. Why does Daniel wake up screaming?
3. Where do Bea and Daniel plan to make their regular meeting place?
4. According to Fermín, what is a "warm heart, cold mind"?
5. Who does Daniel see standing outside his window?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter Daniel took from Julián's old apartment say?
2. How did Tomás and Daniel meet and become friends?
3. What does Clara tell Daniel about Julián Carax's books in Days of Ashes Chapter 4?
4. What does Daniel learn about Julián and the Fortuny family when he goes to the Fortuny hat shop in City of Shadows Chapter 15?
5. What does Daniel show Bea on their first date in City of Shadows Chapter 21?
6. Why does Daniel tell Gustavo about their story and Julián?
7. How does Daniel feel about his choice of The Shadow of the Wind?
8. Why does Daniel decide to call Bea's house in City of Shadows Chapter 35?
9. Describe the Santa Lucia Hospice.
10. Why is Bea waiting outside the bookshop for Daniel in City of Shadows Chapter 26?
Essay Topic 1
At Nuria's funeral, Palacios pulls Daniel aside and tells Daniel that Nuria's last words were, "There are worse prisons than words" and to let " Penélope go." Palacious thinks the words are intended for Daniel. Who are the words really intended for? Explore what Nuria means by this statement. How is it relevant that these are her final words?
Essay Topic 2
Many portions of the story pit good against evil. How do these confrontations play out? How does the author represent both good and evil in the story through characters and symbols? Which do you think triumphs in the end - good or evil?
Essay Topic 3
The Shadow of the Wind is a coming-of-age story for Daniel. Describe how Daniel changes throughout the story - from when the reader is first introduced to him at age 10, to Daniel's 16th birthday, to his marriage and fatherhood at the end of the novel. Use specific references and quotes from the story in your answer.
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)