Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets Daniel at the Barcelos' house?
2. Why does Daniel wake up screaming?
3. Where do Bea and Daniel plan to make their regular meeting place?
4. According to Fermín, what is a "warm heart, cold mind"?
5. Who does Daniel see standing outside his window?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter Daniel took from Julián's old apartment say?
2. How did Tomás and Daniel meet and become friends?
3. What does Clara tell Daniel about Julián Carax's books in Days of Ashes Chapter 4?
4. What does Daniel learn about Julián and the Fortuny family when he goes to the Fortuny hat shop in City of Shadows Chapter 15?
5. What does Daniel show Bea on their first date in City of Shadows Chapter 21?
6. Why does Daniel tell Gustavo about their story and Julián?
7. How does Daniel feel about his choice of The Shadow of the Wind?
8. Why does Daniel decide to call Bea's house in City of Shadows Chapter 35?
9. Describe the Santa Lucia Hospice.
10. Why is Bea waiting outside the bookshop for Daniel in City of Shadows Chapter 26?
Essay Topic 1
The Shadow of the Wind uses the narration of Daniel, Nuria and Julián to tell the entire story. How do these multiple viewpoints and narrations aid in the story's development? Explore each character's contribution to the story using specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
The Shadow of the Wind shows the impact a book can have on someone's life. How does the story illustrate the impact of literature? Use Daniel and Julián as examples.
Essay Topic 3
Daniel says that a regular customer in his father's bookshop once said, "...few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds its way into the heart. Those first images, the echo of words we think we have left behind, accompany us throughout our lives and sculpt a palace in our memory..." What does the customer mean by this statement? How does The Shadow of the Wind become that book for Daniel? How does his reading of the book impact his life?
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)