|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Merton go to Friendship House often?
2. Where is Merton's brother sent while Thomas is joining the monastery?
3. How could Merton have registered for the draft?
4. Who does Merton talk to when he first starts to tell people he wants to be a priest?
5. What was Merton hoping to gain at his country cottage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merton becomes involved with the student publications at Columbia University. Discuss in detail how working on these publications affects Merton's writing career and his spiritual quest.
Essay Topic 2
Merton had spoken with his Aunt Maude about becoming a journalist or writing novels, but changes his mind at Columbia and decides to teach. What was Merton's motivation for making this decision and what did he hope to accomplish? Does he succeed in meeting these goals? Please support your answers with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Merton expands his understanding of Catholicism essentially by mistake when he purchases "The Spirit of Medieval Philosophy" without knowing it is a Catholic book. Discuss why Merton would be "angry" when he finds he has bought a Catholic book and how reading it changed his mind.
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)