|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Merton first talk with Father Edmund about becoming a priest?
2. What is Friendship House?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what does Merton decide is the work he is meant to do?
4. What do Ed Rice and Bob Lax work on in Olean?
5. What is Merton afraid to tell anyone when he is teaching at St. Bonaventure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merton had spoken with his Aunt Maude about becoming a journalist or writing novels, but changes his mind at Columbia and decides to teach. What was Merton's motivation for making this decision and what did he hope to accomplish? Does he succeed in meeting these goals? Please support your answers with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
As an adult, Merton continues to feel guilty about the way he treated his younger brother when they were children. Describe how this guilt is illustrated in the book. In your opinion, was Merton right to feel guilty?
Essay Topic 3
Merton spends considerable time feeling guilty about his visits to bars in New York and what he does there. Why does Merton continue to do things he considers to be sinful, and how do Merton's repeated adventures in New York bars impact his desire to be a priest?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)