|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sends Merton into a frustrating "holding pattern"?
2. What analogy does Merton make in Part 2, Chapter 2, to describe his spiritual state?
3. How many countries has Merton lived in by the time war breaks out?
4. What makes Merton unhappy while he is teaching?
5. What religious rule do the monks follow at Gethsemani?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merton's mother died during the early formative years of his life. Merton's father was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 1929 and died during Merton's adolescence. Using examples from the book, compare and contrast the impact on Merton's life of each of these deaths.
Essay Topic 2
Merton spends considerable time feeling guilty about his visits to bars in New York and what he does there. Why does Merton continue to do things he considers to be sinful, and how do Merton's repeated adventures in New York bars impact his desire to be a priest?
Essay Topic 3
Merton initially decides to join the Franciscans because Dan Walsh recommended the Order, believing it had an "easier" Rule than other religious Orders. Using what you know of Merton's personality from his book, discuss the influence other people have on his decisions. Support your answer with examples.
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)