|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merton's brother do before leaving on his voyage?
(a) He asks to be baptized at Gethsemani.
(b) He asks Merton to meet him in New York.
(c) He consults with a priest about Merton's vocation.
(d) He decides to become a monk, too.
2. What did Merton and his friends grow in Olean?
(a) They grew a vegetable garden.
(b) They grew wheat.
(c) They all grew beards.
(d) They grew their hair long.
3. When did Merton first talk with Father Edmund about becoming a priest?
(a) September, 1950.
(b) September, 1939.
(c) December, 1939.
(d) January, 1940.
4. What pattern of behavior is repeated in Merton's quest for the priesthood?
(a) He would rather let circumstances push him in one direction or another.
(b) After spending a delaying a decision, he is impatient for action once he decides.
(c) He asks everyone for advice and then ignores what he is told.
(d) He depends on others to make difficult decisions for him.
5. Where does Merton get a job as a teacher?
(a) St. Bonaventure.
(c) Zion Church.
(d) Corpus Christi.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many countries has Merton lived in by the time war breaks out?
2. What does Merton tell his brother when he comes to Gethsemani?
3. How does Merton want to live in the world?
4. What action does Merton take to become a monk after lunch at the Columbia Faculty Club?
5. What does Merton think his motive should be for writing?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)