|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Our Lady of Gethsemani?
(a) A statue in a church.
(b) A monastery in Ohio.
(c) A church in New York.
(d) A monastery in Kentucky.
2. What does a Carmelite tell the Master of Novices about Merton?
(a) That Merton was his role model.
(b) That Merton was converted to faith by reading James Joyce.
(c) That Merton followed the teachings of the saints.
(d) That Merton deserved to be a monk.
3. Who is Dan Walsh?
(a) A professor respected by Merton.
(b) A priest who takes Merton's confession.
(c) A monk Merton meets.
(d) A professor Merton doesn't like.
4. What does Merton desire just before going to Olean?
(a) A meeting with congenial friends.
(b) To become a parish priest.
(c) To teach religion at the university.
(d) A retreat from the world into solitude and contemplation.
5. What country does Merton visit while waiting to enter the novitiate?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John Paul die?
2. What does Merton remember when saying goodbye to his brother after his baptism?
3. What behavior characterizes Merton's life while he is teaching?
4. Where does Merton get a job as a teacher?
5. Which saint becomes important to Merton when he receives the Baronness' advice?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)