|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Merton's brother sent while Thomas is joining the monastery?
(a) On a ship to the Pacific.
(b) To join their relatives in Europe.
(c) On bombing raids over Europe.
(d) To visit the Baroness in Canada.
2. What is Our Lady of Gethsemani?
(a) A monastery in Ohio.
(b) A monastery in Kentucky.
(c) A church in New York.
(d) A statue in a church.
3. What, in Part 2, Chapter 2, causes Merton to feel enthusiastic?
(a) Writing poems.
(b) Going to confession.
(c) Playing sports.
(d) Learning Latin.
4. How does Merton differentiate himself from an "ordinary Catholic"?
(a) He knows more about church history.
(b) He felt his faith more strongly because of a hospital experience.
(c) He has a lifetime of church-going behind him.
(d) He needs more from religion than simply going to church.
5. What does Merton want Father Edmund to do for him in regard to the novitiate?
(a) He wants Father Edmund to call the abbot and apologize for Merton's behavior.
(b) He wants Father Edmund to stop trying to push him into a particular religious order.
(c) He wants Father Edmund to come with him to visit several monasteries.
(d) He wants Father Edmund to find a way to implement early admission to the monastery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stops Merton from making his retreat at Gethsemani?
2. What does Merton's brother do before leaving on his voyage?
3. What sin is Merton most concerned with when he begins to write poetry?
4. What does Merton never consider once he becomes a monk?
5. Where does Merton make a retreat during Easter?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)