|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sends Merton into a frustrating "holding pattern"?
(a) Being told to withdraw his application to the monastery and that he has no vocation to be a priest.
(b) Finding out that he was taken off the waiting list at St. Bonaventure.
(c) Discovering that his friends had sabotaged him in his desire to be a priest.
(d) Being told that he must wait to find a teaching job until the next year.
2. What pattern of behavior is repeated in Merton's quest for the priesthood?
(a) He depends on others to make difficult decisions for him.
(b) After spending a delaying a decision, he is impatient for action once he decides.
(c) He asks everyone for advice and then ignores what he is told.
(d) He would rather let circumstances push him in one direction or another.
3. How many countries has Merton lived in by the time war breaks out?
(d) Five .
4. What causes Merton's unhappiness when he is teaching?
(a) Being forced to withdraw his application to the monastery.
(b) Receiving a draft notice.
(c) Not being able to find a meaningful job.
(d) Being separated from his friends.
5. What makes Merton unhappy while he is teaching?
(a) He wants to go on retreat, but can't decide where to go.
(b) He wants to visit with his close friends, but they have been drafted.
(c) He yearns to be a priest, but is told he doesn't have a vocation.
(d) He wants to visit Europe, but doesn't have the money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merton see as his vocation while he is in Olean?
2. When does Merton plan to make a retreat at Gethsemani when writing to the Abbott?
3. What do Merton and his friends do in Olean?
4. What is Merton's role at Friendship House?
5. What did Merton and his friends grow in Olean?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)