|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What class does Merton say is the best he ever took at college?
(a) A physical education class.
(b) A philosophy class.
(c) A comparative religion class.
(d) A Shakespeare class.
2. How does Merton describe his parents?
(a) They were uncaring people who left him with strangers.
(b) They disliked one another and planned to divorce.
(c) They were independent and free of small prejudices.
(d) They were focused on wealth and social status.
3. Who gave Merton his First Communion?
(a) Father Gerdy at St. Patrick's Cathedral.
(b) Father Rice at St. John's.
(c) Father McGough at Corpus Christi.
(d) Father Moore at Corpus Christi.
4. What error does Merton think Protestants commit?
(a) They are too focused on financial issues.
(b) They do not spend time talking with other faiths.
(c) They share too much of their personal lives when talking.
(d) They do not talk enough about God and religion.
5. Who is Bob Lax?
(a) A friend of Merton's father who was a musician.
(b) A Catholic man who leads Merton to the faith.
(c) A friend of Merton's who eventually becomes a Catholic.
(d) A friend of Aunt Maude's from childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Thomas Merton born?
2. What medical problem plagued Merton on a backpacking trip in the Rhine Valley?
3. What profession does Tom encourage Merton to prepare for?
4. What is Merton silent about in Part 1, Chapter 4?
5. What did Merton discover about his father on the way to a cricket match?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact does Merton's dental health have on his life?
2. How did Merton feel about moving to England?
3. What worries does Merton have about his desire to write?
4. What does Merton learn from the abscessed tooth he suffers?
5. Describe some of the things that Merton loves about France.
6. Why does Merton believe that going to church is not enough to fulfill his need for God?
7. How does Merton feel about his younger brother?
8. Why was Merton's participation with student publications so satisfying to him?
9. What does Merton do while waiting to enter the monastery?
10. Describe Merton's reaction to his brother's baptism.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)