|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language is Merton required to learn in England?
2. What political activities does Merton participate in at the university?
(a) Student demonstrations and meetings.
(b) He is not involved with politics at the university.
(c) Church-sponsored lectures.
(d) Writing for political publications.
3. What are the contents of the note Merton receives from his father?
(a) A description of his father's travels to Africa.
(b) Instructions for caring for his brother.
(c) The address of his grandparents.
(d) A goodbye from his mother.
4. Why does Merton go to class with the younger French children?
(a) He must learn the French language.
(b) He teaches them American games.
(c) He needs to change his attitude.
(d) He disciplines them.
5. Where did Merton attend school in England while with his aunt?
(a) Ripley Court.
(b) He was home-schooled.
(d) A church school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What philosophy does Merton explore while at the university?
2. What does Merton see as his future occupation in England?
3. What connection did Uncle Ben have with Durston House?
4. What is the Jester?
5. What author was an enduring influence on Merton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experiences in England helped Thomas to be more content?
2. How does Merton handle his spiritual condition upon returning from Cuba?
3. How is it shown in Part 1, Chapter 3, that literature was important in Merton's life?
4. Why did Merton move away from religion when he entered Columbia?
5. What does Merton view as a cure for his sinfulness?
6. How does Merton feel about his younger brother?
7. What are some of the internal struggles Merton faces in Part 1, Chapter 3?
8. What does Merton gain during his summer in Olean?
9. Why was Merton's participation with student publications so satisfying to him?
10. What is the significance of a book Merton purchased at Scribner's?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)