|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Merton discover about his father on the way to a cricket match?
(a) He learned his father would take him to France.
(b) He realized his father was still in England.
(c) He found out his father was coming to the match.
(d) He learned his father had a malignant brain tumor.
2. How does Merton describe his mother?
(a) She was a divorced woman.
(b) She was an American pessimist.
(c) She was an American perfectionist.
(d) She was a British artist.
3. What are Merton's childhood memories of his brother?
(a) His brother cried a lot.
(b) His brother went with him to school.
(c) His brother was liked by older boys.
(d) His brother was a tag-along.
4. Where did Merton spend his school holidays?
(a) With Owen in London.
(b) With his godfather who was a doctor in London.
(c) With his Aunt Maude.
(d) With Pop and Bonnemaman.
5. Where are the student publications at the university housed?
(a) The second floor.
(b) The fifth floor.
(c) The fourth floor.
(d) The third floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bob Lax?
2. What, in Part 1, Chapter 4, is noticeably lacking the Merton's autobiography?
3. What is the significance of Zion Church to Merton?
4. What error does Merton think Protestants commit?
5. With whom does Merton stay in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Merton move away from religion when he entered Columbia?
2. Why does Merton downgrade his ability to play sports?
3. What does Merton hope to experience in Olean?
4. How does the Baroness help Merton find his calling?
5. How does Merton describe his feelings about the monasteries of Gethsemani and St. Francis of Assisi in Part 3, Chapter 2?
6. What does Merton learn from the abscessed tooth he suffers?
7. What is the significance of a book Merton purchased at Scribner's?
8. Describe Merton's reaction to his brother's baptism.
9. What is the purpose of the essay in the Epilogue?
10. How does his father set an example for Merton's later life?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)