|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Merton react to his first exposure to death?
(a) With despair and foreboding.
(b) With fear and sadness.
(c) With deep terror.
(d) With innocence and curiosity.
2. What does Merton admire about Mark Van Doren?
(a) His contemplative ability.
(b) His sports ability.
(c) His teaching.
(d) His many girlfriends.
3. What book does Bramachari recommend to Merton?
(a) A philosophy treatise by Thomas Aquinas.
(b) A biography of Martin Luther.
(c) St. Augustine's Confessions.
(d) His own autobiography.
4. What is aseitas?
(a) A Catholic concept regarding God.
(b) A medical condition.
(c) A word applied to monks.
(d) An idea Merton thinks is without value.
5. What is the Jester?
(a) A card game Merton plays.
(b) A student publication.
(c) A costume Merton wears to a party.
(d) A nickname for Merton's friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who put Merton on the academic path to Cambridge University?
2. What words best describe Merton at the university?
3. What action he performed in the summer of 1937 prompted Merton to take another step on his journey to faith?
4. What do the Columbia Review and the Spectator have in common?
5. What political activities does Merton participate in at the university?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Merton to attend his first Mass?
2. How does Merton describe his feelings about the monasteries of Gethsemani and St. Francis of Assisi in Part 3, Chapter 2?
3. After the death of his father, why does Merton consider himself to be a rebel in New York?
4. How does his father set an example for Merton's later life?
5. How does looking at frescoes in Rome impact Merton?
6. What does Merton try to express in this first chapter?
7. How does the reader know in Part 1, Chapter 2, that Merton was thinking about religion while he was at school in England?
8. What experiences in England helped Thomas to be more content?
9. What does Mark Van Doren do that made Merton afraid of losing his dream?
10. How does Merton feel about his younger brother?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)