|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, in Part 1, Chapter 4, is noticeably lacking the Merton's autobiography?
(a) A description of his travels.
(b) The names of his family members.
(c) His feelings about religion.
(d) The names of his girlfriends.
2. What does Merton find disappointing about the pastor at Zion Church?
(a) He worries about the church's financial condition.
(b) He is more concerned with discussing modern literature and politics than God.
(c) He does not know Merton's father.
(d) He will not meet with Merton.
3. What words best describe Merton at the university?
(a) Romantic and in love.
(b) Athletic and social.
(c) Intellectual and contemplative.
(d) Religious and non-political.
4. Who visited Merton in St. Antonin?
(a) Pop and Bonnemaman.
(b) His mother.
(c) His brother.
(d) John Paul and Owen.
5. How does Merton describe his athletic endeavors?
(a) He brags about his abilities.
(b) He believes he has natural talent.
(c) He says he lacks aptitude in sports.
(d) He doesn't participate in sports.
6. How does Merton describe his fellow students in France?
(a) They are cultured and refined.
(b) They are socially inferior.
(c) The are vulgar, mean, and pitiless.
(d) They are extremely poor.
7. What encouraged Merton to take another step toward religion in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Praying for Aunt Maude.
(b) The death of his father.
(c) The frescoes he saw in ancient cathedrals.
(d) His friend Andrew at Cambridge.
8. What impresses Merton about St. Antonin?
(a) The people he met there.
(b) It was in France.
(c) It was laid out in a circular shape in the 13th century.
(d) The house he lived in.
9. What did Pop tell Merton while Owen was ill?
(a) That the Great Depression had ruined him financially.
(b) That he and Bonnemaman were moving to Paris.
(c) That Merton and his brother would be financially secure after their father's death.
(d) That John Paul would be joining him at Oakham.
10. Where was Thomas Merton born?
(a) Berlin, Germany.
(b) Prades, France.
(c) Long Island, New York.
(d) Rome, Italy.
11. What was his father building in St. Antonin?
(a) He builds an extra bedroom.
(b) He builds a piece of sculpture.
(c) He builds an art studio.
(d) He builds a house for the family.
12. Where does Merton meet Bob Lax?
(a) At a student meeting.
(b) At Zion Church.
(c) In a bar in New York City.
(d) In a class at the university.
13. How does Merton describe this book?
(a) It is an autobiography of faith.
(b) It is the biography of his mother.
(c) It is the story of his travels.
(d) It is a story about his father.
14. What are the contents of the note Merton receives from his father?
(a) A description of his father's travels to Africa.
(b) A goodbye from his mother.
(c) The address of his grandparents.
(d) Instructions for caring for his brother.
15. Why does Merton go to class with the younger French children?
(a) He needs to change his attitude.
(b) He must learn the French language.
(c) He teaches them American games.
(d) He disciplines them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession does Tom encourage Merton to prepare for?
2. What did Merton's parents do for a living?
3. When was Merton baptized?
4. When was Thomas Merton born?
5. When was Merton's brother born?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)