|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the last things mentioned in Chapter 4 of Part 1?
(a) Merton's lack of faith.
(b) Merton's love affair.
(c) Merton's sins.
(d) Merton's aunt.
2. What does Merton like about France?
(a) The school he attended there.
(b) Its museums.
(c) Its beauty and its simple people.
(d) The weather.
3. What is the "sign of the Water Bearer"?
(a) An advertisement for a hotel.
(b) The name of his father's art gallery.
(c) The symbol for the month of January.
(d) Merton's astrological birth sign of Aquarius.
4. After graduating from college, what does Merton do?
(a) He gets a job as a journalist.
(b) He looks for work that will bring him fortune and fame.
(c) He begins a teaching career.
(d) He applies to graduate school.
5. What political activities does Merton participate in at the university?
(a) Church-sponsored lectures.
(b) He is not involved with politics at the university.
(c) Writing for political publications.
(d) Student demonstrations and meetings.
6. What is aseitas?
(a) A word applied to monks.
(b) An idea Merton thinks is without value.
(c) A Catholic concept regarding God.
(d) A medical condition.
7. What lessens Merton's fear of Catholicism?
(a) Reading a book given to him by a professor.
(b) Buying a college philosophy textbook.
(c) Meeting a Catholic in Scribner's.
(d) Reading a book he bought by accident in New York.
8. Who are Pop and Bonnemaman?
(a) Neighbors of his mother.
(b) People he met at school.
(c) Friends of his father.
(d) Thomas Merton's grandparents.
9. Where was Thomas Merton born?
(a) Berlin, Germany.
(b) Prades, France.
(c) Rome, Italy.
(d) Long Island, New York.
10. What does Merton admire about Mark Van Doren?
(a) His many girlfriends.
(b) His contemplative ability.
(c) His sports ability.
(d) His teaching.
11. When was Merton's brother born?
(a) November, 1918.
(b) October, 1921.
(c) January, 1920.
(d) March, 1919.
12. What was his father building in St. Antonin?
(a) He builds a piece of sculpture.
(b) He builds an extra bedroom.
(c) He builds a house for the family.
(d) He builds an art studio.
13. What is the significance of Zion Church to Merton?
(a) His uncle was the choirmaster there.
(b) His father designed the altar there.
(c) His aunt directed classes there.
(d) His father played the organ there.
14. When was Thomas Merton born?
(a) February 14, 1925.
(b) January 31, 1915.
(c) January 31, 1950.
(d) January 22, 1935.
15. Why does Owen Merton travel so frequently?
(a) He is a traveling salesman.
(b) He paints landscapes all over the world.
(c) He is looking for a job.
(d) He visits relatives.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Merton's parents foster his love for the monastic life?
2. What connection did Uncle Ben have with Durston House?
3. Who is Mark Van Doren?
4. What does Merton miss when he left France for England?
5. What university does Merton attend in New York?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)