|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Bob Lax?
(a) A Catholic man who leads Merton to the faith.
(b) A friend of Merton's father who was a musician.
(c) A friend of Merton's who eventually becomes a Catholic.
(d) A friend of Aunt Maude's from childhood.
2. How does Merton react to his first exposure to death?
(a) With fear and sadness.
(b) With deep terror.
(c) With despair and foreboding.
(d) With innocence and curiosity.
3. What does Merton admire about Mark Van Doren?
(a) His many girlfriends.
(b) His sports ability.
(c) His teaching.
(d) His contemplative ability.
4. What keeps Merton from athletic participation?
(a) A concern about physical injury.
(b) The struggle and pain associated with practice.
(c) The pain of being compared to his father.
(d) The fear of being on the losing side.
5. How old was Merton when he went to his first Mass?
(a) He was 30 years old.
(b) He was 15 years old.
(c) He was 25 years old.
(d) He was 24 years old.
6. What connection did Uncle Ben have with Durston House?
(a) He went to school there.
(b) He was a teacher there.
(c) He had been headmaster there.
(d) He played on its cricket team.
7. When was Merton baptized?
(a) September, 1937.
(b) December, 1940.
(c) January, 1940.
(d) November, 1939.
8. How did Merton view his childhood?
(a) He hated living in Europe.
(b) He worried about having a home.
(c) He thought it was like everyone else's.
(d) He felt it was odd.
9. What profession does Tom encourage Merton to prepare for?
(a) The British diplomatic service.
(b) The medical profession.
(c) The teaching profession.
(d) The priesthood.
10. What medical problem plagued Merton on a backpacking trip in the Rhine Valley?
(a) He had an abscessed tooth that led to gangrene.
(b) He had a heart problem and fainting spells.
(c) He broke his jaw and was hospitalized.
(d) He suffered a broken leg.
11. What did Owen ask Merton to do for him while he was ill?
(a) He wanted Merton to come with him to London.
(b) He asked Merton to pray for him.
(c) He asked Merton to take care of John Paul.
(d) He wanted Merton to do well in school
12. What did Pop tell Merton while Owen was ill?
(a) That John Paul would be joining him at Oakham.
(b) That the Great Depression had ruined him financially.
(c) That he and Bonnemaman were moving to Paris.
(d) That Merton and his brother would be financially secure after their father's death.
13. What does Merton do during the summer he returned to New York after a trip to Rome?
(a) He immediately visits his Aunt Maude.
(b) He prepares for a diplomatic career.
(c) He continues his religious explorations.
(d) He begins going to bars and burlesques.
14. What do the Columbia Review and the Spectator have in common?
(a) They are magazines Merton disliked.
(b) They are publications that represented failure to Merton.
(c) They are magazines that Pop wrote for.
(d) They are both student publications Merton was involved with.
15. What does Merton love about America?
(a) Its geography and landscapes.
(b) Its cultural life.
(c) Its wealth and power.
(d) Its ideals and work ethic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Merton's childhood memories of his brother?
2. What author was an enduring influence on Merton?
3. What language is Merton required to learn in England?
4. Who does Merton say gave him the only valuable religious and moral training he had received?
5. What does Merton like about France?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)