|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Merton silent about in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) The names of his favorite writers.
(b) Details of his sins.
(c) The people he lives with.
(d) His love affair at the university.
2. What do the Columbia Review and the Spectator have in common?
(a) They are magazines that Pop wrote for.
(b) They are magazines Merton disliked.
(c) They are both student publications Merton was involved with.
(d) They are publications that represented failure to Merton.
3. Where did Merton attend school in England while with his aunt?
(b) Ripley Court.
(c) A church school.
(d) He was home-schooled.
4. How does Merton feel about Catholicism when he first goes to the university?
(a) He wants to avoid everything about it.
(b) He believes it represents the character of God.
(c) He thinks it is mysterious and secretive.
(d) He believes in it completely.
5. Where did Merton visit his father after the end of the school term at Oakham?
6. What encouraged Merton to take another step toward religion in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) The death of his father.
(b) The frescoes he saw in ancient cathedrals.
(c) His friend Andrew at Cambridge.
(d) Praying for Aunt Maude.
7. What did Pop allow the 15-year-old Merton to do that really impressed him?
(a) He allowed him to drive his car.
(b) He allowed him to visit his father alone.
(c) He allowed him to enjoy luxury travel.
(d) Pop allowed the 15-year-old Merton to smoke a cigarette.
8. Where did Merton spend his school holidays?
(a) With his godfather who was a doctor in London.
(b) With Owen in London.
(c) With his Aunt Maude.
(d) With Pop and Bonnemaman.
9. Where did Merton's father receive medical treatment for his cancer?
(a) At home with a personal physician.
(b) At a hospital in Paris.
(c) At Middlesex Hospital in London.
(d) At Durston Hospital in Scotland.
10. Why does Merton go to class with the younger French children?
(a) He teaches them American games.
(b) He disciplines them.
(c) He needs to change his attitude.
(d) He must learn the French language.
11. Who visited Merton in St. Antonin?
(a) John Paul and Owen.
(b) Pop and Bonnemaman.
(c) His brother.
(d) His mother.
12. Why does Merton say he was "truly happy" in England?
(a) Because he is sincerely religious for the first time.
(b) Because he is learning to play cricket.
(c) Because he has many friends.
(d) Because he is living in England.
13. When was Merton's brother born?
(a) March, 1919.
(b) November, 1918.
(c) January, 1920.
(d) October, 1921.
14. With whom does Merton stay in England?
(a) He lives with his father and brother.
(b) He stays with his Aunt Maude and Uncle Ben.
(c) He lives with his grandparents.
(d) He boards at his school.
15. What did Owen ask Merton to do for him while he was ill?
(a) He asked Merton to pray for him.
(b) He wanted Merton to come with him to London.
(c) He wanted Merton to do well in school
(d) He asked Merton to take care of John Paul.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Merton describe his parents?
2. Who is Bob Lax?
3. How does Merton describe this book?
4. Who are M. and Mme. Privat?
5. What revelation did Merton have when attending his first Mass?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)