|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What author was an enduring influence on Merton?
(a) William Blake.
(b) G.M. Hopkins.
(c) William Faulkner.
(d) John Donne.
2. What is the significance of Zion Church to Merton?
(a) His uncle was the choirmaster there.
(b) His father played the organ there.
(c) His aunt directed classes there.
(d) His father designed the altar there.
3. How does Merton describe the boys at Ripley Court?
(a) They are pleasant and happy.
(b) They are cruel to him.
(c) They are snobbish and unfriendly.
(d) They dislike sports.
4. When was Merton baptized?
(a) January, 1940.
(b) November, 1939.
(c) September, 1937.
(d) December, 1940.
5. What does Merton love about America?
(a) Its ideals and work ethic.
(b) Its geography and landscapes.
(c) Its cultural life.
(d) Its wealth and power.
6. Who is Bramachari?
(a) A philosophy professor Merton knows.
(b) A Buddhist monk known by Merton's friends.
(c) A student of Protestantism.
(d) A Hindu monk Merton comes to know.
7. What encouraged Merton to take another step toward religion in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Praying for Aunt Maude.
(b) His friend Andrew at Cambridge.
(c) The frescoes he saw in ancient cathedrals.
(d) The death of his father.
8. How did Merton view his childhood?
(a) He hated living in Europe.
(b) He felt it was odd.
(c) He thought it was like everyone else's.
(d) He worried about having a home.
9. Who put Merton on the academic path to Cambridge University?
(a) Owen Merton.
(b) F.C. Doherty.
(c) Aunt Maude.
(d) Uncle Ben.
10. Where did Merton visit his father after the end of the school term at Oakham?
11. How did Merton's parents foster his love for the monastic life?
(a) They introduced him to monks.
(b) They disliked anything they considered to be bourgeois.
(c) They bought him many things.
(d) They encouraged him to be wealthy.
12. Where does Merton attend his first Mass?
(a) At Gethsemane in Kentucky.
(b) At St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York.
(c) At the Church of Corpus Christi in New York.
(d) At St. John the Divine in New York.
13. What are Merton's childhood memories of his brother?
(a) His brother was liked by older boys.
(b) His brother went with him to school.
(c) His brother cried a lot.
(d) His brother was a tag-along.
14. Why does Merton go to class with the younger French children?
(a) He needs to change his attitude.
(b) He teaches them American games.
(c) He must learn the French language.
(d) He disciplines them.
15. When was Thomas Merton born?
(a) January 31, 1950.
(b) January 31, 1915.
(c) January 22, 1935.
(d) February 14, 1925.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Merton discover about his father on the way to a cricket match?
2. How old was Merton when he went to his first Mass?
3. What connection did Uncle Ben have with Durston House?
4. What does Merton see as his future occupation in England?
5. How does Merton describe his fellow students in France?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)