|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 3, The Sleeping Volcano.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Merton baptized?
(a) September, 1937.
(b) December, 1940.
(c) November, 1939.
(d) January, 1940.
2. What is the Jester?
(a) A student publication.
(b) A costume Merton wears to a party.
(c) A card game Merton plays.
(d) A nickname for Merton's friend.
3. Where are the student publications at the university housed?
(a) The third floor.
(b) The second floor.
(c) The fifth floor.
(d) The fourth floor.
4. What book does Bramachari recommend to Merton?
(a) St. Augustine's Confessions.
(b) A philosophy treatise by Thomas Aquinas.
(c) His own autobiography.
(d) A biography of Martin Luther.
5. Who gave Merton his First Communion?
(a) Father McGough at Corpus Christi.
(b) Father Moore at Corpus Christi.
(c) Father Gerdy at St. Patrick's Cathedral.
(d) Father Rice at St. John's.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Merton imagine a monastery to be?
2. What medical problem plagued Merton on a backpacking trip in the Rhine Valley?
3. What analogy does Merton make in Part 2, Chapter 2, to describe his spiritual state?
4. What class does Merton say is the best he ever took at college?
5. When did Merton first talk with Father Edmund about becoming a priest?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)