|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 2, True North.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Merton meet Bob Lax?
(a) In a bar in New York City.
(b) At a student meeting.
(c) At Zion Church.
(d) In a class at the university.
2. What do Ed Rice and Bob Lax work on in Olean?
(a) They both write novels.
(b) They work on newspaper articles.
(c) They both write autobiographies.
(d) They write church history.
3. Why does Merton go to class with the younger French children?
(a) He must learn the French language.
(b) He needs to change his attitude.
(c) He disciplines them.
(d) He teaches them American games.
4. What lessens Merton's fear of Catholicism?
(a) Reading a book given to him by a professor.
(b) Meeting a Catholic in Scribner's.
(c) Buying a college philosophy textbook.
(d) Reading a book he bought by accident in New York.
5. Where does Merton attend his first Mass?
(a) At St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York.
(b) At the Church of Corpus Christi in New York.
(c) At St. John the Divine in New York.
(d) At Gethsemane in Kentucky.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Merton differentiate himself from an "ordinary Catholic"?
2. Who is Mark Van Doren?
3. What narrative convention does Merton use repeatedly in this book?
4. What important event occurs while Merton is in Olean?
5. Where was Merton's father born?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)