|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 4, The Sweet Savor of Liberty.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What connection did Uncle Ben have with Durston House?
(a) He went to school there.
(b) He had been headmaster there.
(c) He played on its cricket team.
(d) He was a teacher there.
2. Where does Merton attend his first Mass?
(a) At the Church of Corpus Christi in New York.
(b) At St. John the Divine in New York.
(c) At St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York.
(d) At Gethsemane in Kentucky.
3. How does Merton describe the boys at Ripley Court?
(a) They are pleasant and happy.
(b) They dislike sports.
(c) They are cruel to him.
(d) They are snobbish and unfriendly.
4. What university does Merton attend in New York?
(a) Columbia University.
(b) Cornell University.
(c) Hunter University.
(d) Harvard University.
5. What important event occurs while Merton is in Olean?
(a) Merton's friends join the Navy.
(b) World War II begins in Europe.
(c) Merton is drafted into the military.
(d) The U.S. goes to war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Olean?
2. Where does Merton make a retreat during Easter?
3. Where was Merton's father born?
4. How does Thomas Merton feel about his father?
5. Why does Merton say he was "truly happy" in England?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)