|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 4, The Sweet Savor of Liberty.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Merton afraid to tell anyone when he is teaching at St. Bonaventure?
(a) About his experiences overseas.
(b) His deepest and darkest sins.
(c) That he stills yearns to be a monk.
(d) The condition of his teeth.
2. What connection did Uncle Ben have with Durston House?
(a) He had been headmaster there.
(b) He was a teacher there.
(c) He played on its cricket team.
(d) He went to school there.
3. What sends Merton into a frustrating "holding pattern"?
(a) Discovering that his friends had sabotaged him in his desire to be a priest.
(b) Finding out that he was taken off the waiting list at St. Bonaventure.
(c) Being told to withdraw his application to the monastery and that he has no vocation to be a priest.
(d) Being told that he must wait to find a teaching job until the next year.
4. What action does Merton take to become a monk after lunch at the Columbia Faculty Club?
(a) He visits his brother to discuss the matter.
(b) He applies for early admission to the Franciscans.
(c) He follows the advice of Mark Van Doren.
(d) He writes to the abbot at Gethsemani.
5. How does Merton want to live in the world?
(a) As a chaplain in the military.
(b) As a religious teacher.
(c) As a monk.
(d) As a good and righteous lay person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Merton discover about his father on the way to a cricket match?
2. Where did Merton spend his school holidays?
3. Who put Merton on the academic path to Cambridge University?
4. Where did Merton attend school in England while with his aunt?
5. What are the contents of the note Merton receives from his father?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)