|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 4, The Sweet Savor of Liberty.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merton tell his brother when he comes to Gethsemani?
(a) How to stay safe while traveling.
(b) The address of a priest in New York he must visit.
(c) Everything Merton knows about Catholicism.
(d) The names of women he should visit.
2. What do Merton and his friends do in Olean?
(a) They study drama and religion.
(b) They develop a monastery-like environment.
(c) They play team sports.
(d) They have an automobile accident.
3. Who is Dan Walsh?
(a) A professor Merton doesn't like.
(b) A professor respected by Merton.
(c) A priest who takes Merton's confession.
(d) A monk Merton meets.
4. What words best describe Merton at the university?
(a) Romantic and in love.
(b) Religious and non-political.
(c) Intellectual and contemplative.
(d) Athletic and social.
5. What class does Merton say is the best he ever took at college?
(a) A comparative religion class.
(b) A philosophy class.
(c) A physical education class.
(d) A Shakespeare class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Merton visit while waiting to enter the novitiate?
2. What does Merton like about France?
3. What is the Jester?
4. What does Merton see as his future occupation in England?
5. What action he performed in the summer of 1937 prompted Merton to take another step on his journey to faith?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)