|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 1, Magnetic North.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Merton attend his first Mass?
(a) At Gethsemane in Kentucky.
(b) At the Church of Corpus Christi in New York.
(c) At St. John the Divine in New York.
(d) At St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York.
2. What kind of music did Merton especially like when he felt like a rebel in New York?
(a) Violin concertos
(b) The jazz of Duke Ellington
(c) Gregorian chant
(d) Beethoven symphonies
3. What keeps Merton from athletic participation?
(a) The struggle and pain associated with practice.
(b) The fear of being on the losing side.
(c) The pain of being compared to his father.
(d) A concern about physical injury.
4. Where does Merton first apply for a novitiate?
(a) The monastery of Zion Church.
(b) The monastery of St. Francis of Assisi.
(c) A monastery in Pennsylvania.
(d) A monastery in Rome.
5. What does Merton do during the summer he returned to New York after a trip to Rome?
(a) He immediately visits his Aunt Maude.
(b) He prepares for a diplomatic career.
(c) He continues his religious explorations.
(d) He begins going to bars and burlesques.
Short Answer Questions
1. What encouraged Merton to take another step toward religion in Part 1, Chapter 3?
2. Why does Merton say he was "truly happy" in England?
3. Who are M. and Mme. Privat?
4. Who is Mark Van Doren?
5. What was his father building in St. Antonin?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)