|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 1, Magnetic North.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What words best describe Merton at the university?
(a) Athletic and social.
(b) Intellectual and contemplative.
(c) Religious and non-political.
(d) Romantic and in love.
2. Where did Merton spend his school holidays?
(a) With Pop and Bonnemaman.
(b) With his godfather who was a doctor in London.
(c) With his Aunt Maude.
(d) With Owen in London.
3. What is Our Lady of Gethsemani?
(a) A monastery in Ohio.
(b) A church in New York.
(c) A monastery in Kentucky.
(d) A statue in a church.
4. What prompted Merton to confess his sins to the abbot?
(a) Merton's medical emergency.
(b) A discussion with Dan Walsh.
(c) The abbot's forgiving demeanor.
(d) Merton's trip to Cuba.
5. What encouraged Merton to take another step toward religion in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) The death of his father.
(b) The frescoes he saw in ancient cathedrals.
(c) His friend Andrew at Cambridge.
(d) Praying for Aunt Maude.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Merton visit his father after the end of the school term at Oakham?
2. Who came to visit Merton in 1930?
3. What book leads Merton to review his opinion of Catholicism?
4. What does Merton admire about Mark Van Doren?
5. What incident causes Merton personal pain at the university?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)