|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 3, The Sleeping Volcano.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pop allow the 15-year-old Merton to do that really impressed him?
(a) Pop allowed the 15-year-old Merton to smoke a cigarette.
(b) He allowed him to drive his car.
(c) He allowed him to enjoy luxury travel.
(d) He allowed him to visit his father alone.
2. What was the name of the school Merton attended in 1929?
(a) The Lycee.
(c) Durston House.
(d) Ripley Court.
3. What does Merton see as his vocation while he is in Olean?
4. What encouraged Merton to take another step toward religion in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Praying for Aunt Maude.
(b) The frescoes he saw in ancient cathedrals.
(c) His friend Andrew at Cambridge.
(d) The death of his father.
5. What does Merton do during the summer he returned to New York after a trip to Rome?
(a) He prepares for a diplomatic career.
(b) He continues his religious explorations.
(c) He begins going to bars and burlesques.
(d) He immediately visits his Aunt Maude.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Baroness?
2. How does Merton differentiate himself from an "ordinary Catholic"?
3. What did Owen ask Merton to do for him while he was ill?
4. What does the Baroness tell Merton when he questions his spiritual path and calling?
5. Who does Merton blame for the war, besides Hitler?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)