|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 3, The Sleeping Volcano.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What profession does Tom encourage Merton to prepare for?
(a) The medical profession.
(b) The British diplomatic service.
(c) The teaching profession.
(d) The priesthood.
2. What action does Merton take to become a monk after lunch at the Columbia Faculty Club?
(a) He follows the advice of Mark Van Doren.
(b) He visits his brother to discuss the matter.
(c) He writes to the abbot at Gethsemani.
(d) He applies for early admission to the Franciscans.
3. What did Pop tell Merton while Owen was ill?
(a) That he and Bonnemaman were moving to Paris.
(b) That John Paul would be joining him at Oakham.
(c) That the Great Depression had ruined him financially.
(d) That Merton and his brother would be financially secure after their father's death.
4. What sin is Merton most concerned with when he begins to write poetry?
5. Which saint becomes important to Merton when he receives the Baronness' advice?
(a) St. Brigid of Ireland.
(b) St. Catherine of Siena.
(c) St. Therese of Lisieux.
(d) St. Mary of Gethsemani.
Short Answer Questions
1. What analogy does Merton make in Part 2, Chapter 2, to describe his spiritual state?
2. Where is Olean?
3. What did Owen ask Merton to do for him while he was ill?
4. What do Ed Rice and Bob Lax work on in Olean?
5. What does Merton do during the summer he returned to New York after a trip to Rome?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)