|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 3, The Sleeping Volcano.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what does Merton decide is the work he is meant to do?
(a) To work with the poor and pray.
(b) To own a newspaper.
(c) To become a priest in Rome.
(d) To write and teach.
2. What does Merton say in Part 2, Chapter 2, will not save his mind from its state of sin?
(a) Learning about philosophy.
(b) Summers in the country.
(c) Occasional trips to church.
(d) A trip to the hospital.
3. What does Merton feel about the war?
4. What author was an enduring influence on Merton?
(a) William Blake.
(b) John Donne.
(c) William Faulkner.
(d) G.M. Hopkins.
5. What did Pop allow the 15-year-old Merton to do that really impressed him?
(a) He allowed him to drive his car.
(b) He allowed him to visit his father alone.
(c) He allowed him to enjoy luxury travel.
(d) Pop allowed the 15-year-old Merton to smoke a cigarette.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pop tell Merton while Owen was ill?
2. What does Merton desire just before going to Olean?
3. What medical problem plagued Merton on a backpacking trip in the Rhine Valley?
4. Who is the Baroness?
5. What analogy does Merton make in Part 2, Chapter 2, to describe his spiritual state?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)