|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 3, The Sleeping Volcano.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merton feel about the war?
2. What does Merton do during the summer he returned to New York after a trip to Rome?
(a) He continues his religious explorations.
(b) He begins going to bars and burlesques.
(c) He immediately visits his Aunt Maude.
(d) He prepares for a diplomatic career.
3. What encouraged Merton to take another step toward religion in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) The death of his father.
(b) Praying for Aunt Maude.
(c) The frescoes he saw in ancient cathedrals.
(d) His friend Andrew at Cambridge.
4. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what does Merton decide is the work he is meant to do?
(a) To work with the poor and pray.
(b) To write and teach.
(c) To become a priest in Rome.
(d) To own a newspaper.
5. Which saint becomes important to Merton when he receives the Baronness' advice?
(a) St. Catherine of Siena.
(b) St. Brigid of Ireland.
(c) St. Mary of Gethsemani.
(d) St. Therese of Lisieux.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Merton's role at Friendship House?
2. What did Merton discover about his father on the way to a cricket match?
3. Where had Merton been shortly before his father died?
4. How does Merton differentiate himself from an "ordinary Catholic"?
5. What impact does Catherine de Hueck have on Merton?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)