Part 1: Chapter 1, Prisoner's Base
1. When was Thomas Merton born?
(a) January 22, 1935.
(b) February 14, 1925.
(c) January 31, 1915.
(d) January 31, 1950.
2. Who is Owen Merton?
(a) Thomas Merton's uncle.
(b) Thomas Merton's grandfather.
(c) Thomas Merton's brother.
(d) Thomas Merton's father.
3. How does Thomas Merton feel about his father?
(a) Merton's father is his hero.
(b) Merton is critical of his behavior.
(c) Merton dislikes his father's job.
(d) Merton wants to be a perfectionist like him.
4. Where was Thomas Merton born?
(a) Rome, Italy.
(b) Prades, France.
(c) Berlin, Germany.
(d) Long Island, New York.
5. What did Merton's parents do for a living?
(a) They operated a grocery store.
(b) They were farmers.
(c) They were artists.
(d) They ran a travel bureau.
6. How did Merton's parents foster his love for the monastic life?
(a) They disliked anything they considered to be bourgeois.
(b) They introduced him to monks.
(c) They encouraged him to be wealthy.
(d) They bought him many things.
7. Who are Pop and Bonnemaman?
(a) Friends of his father.
(b) Neighbors of his mother.
(c) Thomas Merton's grandparents.
(d) People he met at school.
This section contains 5,425 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)