Part 1: Chapter 1, Prisoner's Base
• Merton is born in Prades, France, to unconventional parents both of whom are artists and who spurn anything they consider bourgeois.
• Merton's mother dies when he is quite young, and he and his brother are taken by their father, a landscape painter, to live with their grandparents in Douglaston, New York.
• Although he is still a child, Merton must deal with the death of his mother and separation from his father.
Part 1: Chapter 2, Our Lady of the Museums
• In 1925, Merton is reunited with his father and moves with him to St. Antonin, a small village in France
• Merton's father decides that the family needs a real home and begins building a house; Merton attends school at the Lycee where he does not get along with his classmates. His grandparents pay them a visit, during which Merton is embarrassed by his grandfather's boisterous and arrogant...
This section contains 1,432 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)