|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Johannes want Cordelia to grow tired?
2. Why, as a woman, does Cordelia hate him?
3. Johannes starts to speak to whom about his rumored engagement and refuses to say who the woman is?
4. When Johannes sees her, Cordelia knows that their relationship must do what?
5. With what does Johannes want to surprise Cordelia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johannes say regarding his proposal to Cordelia?
2. What does Johannes say about erotic love? What does he mention regarding Cordelia's erotic love?
3. What happens on the third, regarding Johannes' proposal?
4. What his happening to Cordelia by the end of this section?
5. Why is it important to Johannes that it is autumn?
6. What does Johannes wonder and wish about Cordelia at this time?
7. What is the rumor that is going around? What is happening in regards to this rumor?
8. Does Johannes believe Edward should be able to make any complaints about him? Why or why not?
9. What methods does Johannes consider for surprising Cordelia with his love? What method does he decide to use? What does he say about this method?
10. What does Johannes say about breaking the engagement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johannes describes love.
Part 1) How does he describe love? What does this description reveal about him? What might it reveal about the culture in which he lived?
Part 2) Do you believe that Johannes truly loves Cordelia? Why or why not? Does he ever grow to love her at any point in the story? If so, when and why? If not, why not?
Part 3) How would you describe love? How does your description compare to Johannes'?
Essay Topic 2
Johannes grow tired of Edward.
Part 1) Why does he grow tired of him? How does this change Johannes' relationship with Edward, as well as his relationship with Cordelia? How does this affect Edward's relationship with Cordelia?
Part 2) What does this change in Johannes reveal about him and his feelings for Cordelia?
Part 3) How are these feelings related to a theme of control? How does this need for control influence hi behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Johannes has very calculated encounters with Cordelia.
Part 1) Describe these encounters. Why are they so calculated? Why does Johannes feel that he must know Cordelia's every move?
Part 2) What might this say about control and Johannes' need for control? Does he have control over the situation? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How important is control in your own life? Can you relate to Johannes' need for control over others? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)