|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Johannes eager to help Cordelia's passion mature?
2. Johannes is determined to _________________ her soul as much as he can.
3. Johannes' plan is to organize the engagement so as to (a) break it off but (b) _____________________.
4. Johannes starts to speak to whom about his rumored engagement and refuses to say who the woman is?
5. The season will harmonize with what of Cordelia's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johannes write on September 24th?
2. Why is it important to Johannes that it is autumn?
3. Does Cordelia respond to his letters? Why or why not?
4. What is the rumor that is going around? What is happening in regards to this rumor?
5. How does Johannes feel Cordelia feels about him? Why?
6. What does Johannes say about erotic love? What does he mention regarding Cordelia's erotic love?
7. What is the 'first war?'
8. What his happening to Cordelia by the end of this section?
9. What has happened by September 16th?
10. Whato does Johannes write in the next three letters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johannes discusses his opinion of women.
Part 1) How does Johannes describe women? What does he believe all women have in common? How do women compare to men?
Part 2) What does this discussion of women reveal about Johannes? Does it help clarify anything regarding his relationship with and feelings for Cordelia? Explain.
Part 3) Do you agree with what Johannes has to say? Why or why not? Might other men of his day agree with him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Kierkegaard is the author writing from the perspective of a man who has come upon the letters of a man named Johannes, who Kierkegaard intends to represent himself.
Part 1) Why does Kierkegaard want to write as if he is Johannes? What can be learned regarding this book from reading the introductory?
Part 2) What can be learned about the author from this story? How is he like Johannes? How might the real Cordelia feel about this story? Is she much like the Cordelia in the story? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What is your opinion of Johannes? Do you have the same opinion of the author? Should the author have written this book about his life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Johannes says Cordelia has lost her "fragrance.'
Part 1) What does he mean by this? How does he come to this belief? Was this part of his original seduction plan? Why or why not?
Part 2) What does this reveal about him? How does it affect Cordelia? How does this affect the reader?
Part 3) How can the reader relate to both Cordelia and Johannes at the end of the book?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)