|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Johannes sees woman as characterized by pure ______________.
2. This begins the ____________ with Cordelia where he engages in an emotional back and forth of pursuit.
3. The season will harmonize with what of Cordelia's?
4. What does Johannes feel he should simply enjoy?
5. Johannes suggests that love can only be perfect when?
Short Essay Questions
1. What methods does Johannes consider for surprising Cordelia with his love? What method does he decide to use? What does he say about this method?
2. Describe Johannes' final entry on September 25th.
3. What does Johannes ask Cordelia to do in the letter her writes?
4. What does Johannes wonder and wish about Cordelia at this time?
5. How does Johannes feel about Cordelia at this time?
6. Whato does Johannes write in the next three letters?
7. Give details of some of Johannes' letters to Cordelia.
8. What does Johannes say regarding his proposal to Cordelia?
9. What does Johannes do on the 31st?
10. What plans does Johannes have for the engagement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The introduction ends with three stories from Cordelia.
Part 1) Why does she write these letters? What can you learn about her from these letters? What can you learn about her relationship with Johannes?
Part 2) Why are these letters given at the beginning of the book? How do these letters prepare the reader for the book?
Part 3) What must it be like feeling as Cordelia does? How does her pain affect how you view Johannes?
Essay Topic 2
Johannes describes love.
Part 1) How does he describe love? What does this description reveal about him? What might it reveal about the culture in which he lived?
Part 2) Do you believe that Johannes truly loves Cordelia? Why or why not? Does he ever grow to love her at any point in the story? If so, when and why? If not, why not?
Part 3) How would you describe love? How does your description compare to Johannes'?
Essay Topic 3
Johannes spreads a rumor.
Part 1) What is this rumor? Why does he spread it? How does Edward unknowingly help Johannes?
Part 2) How successful is the spreading of this rumor in Johannes' plans? Explain. How does Cordelia react to this rumor? Why does she react this way?
Part 3) What are your thoughts on spreading rumors? Can they be good? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)