|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cordelia respond when Johannes draws close to her and proposes?
2. Johannes believes that when women devote themselves wholly, what happens to their beauty?
3. Does Cordelia express self-confidence in Johannes' presence?
4. Johannes has floated a rumor that he is in love with whom?
5. Johannes is determined to _________________ her soul as much as he can.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is taking place at the Wahl house at this time?
2. What methods does Johannes consider for surprising Cordelia with his love? What method does he decide to use? What does he say about this method?
3. What does Johannes wonder and wish about Cordelia at this time?
4. What happens on the third, regarding Johannes' proposal?
5. What does Johannes say about erotic love? What does he mention regarding Cordelia's erotic love?
6. Why is it important to Johannes that it is autumn?
7. What plans does Johannes have for the engagement?
8. Whato does Johannes write in the next three letters?
9. Does Cordelia respond to his letters? Why or why not?
10. What does Johannes say about visiting the park?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In May, Johannes curses chance.
Part 1) Why does he curse chance? How does chance come back into his favor? How does Johannes' knowledge of Cordelia grow throughout the month of May? How does this knowledge affect him?
Part 2) What other strokes of luck does Johannes have throughout the rest of the book? What does he do with this luck? Would you consider Cordelia lucky as well? If so, why? If not, why not?
Part 3) Do you believe in luck or chance? If so, why? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Johannes is troubled because he cannot remember what Cordelia looks like after just having seen her.
Part 1) Why might he have trouble remembering her face? How is this a clue to his desire to stalk? What does this say about his mental state?
Part 2) By what else is Johannes troubled throughout this book? Why is he troubled be this? How do they ultimately affect Cordelia?
Part 3) When is Cordelia troubled in this book? How are her feelings of unease connected to Johannes and his emotions?
Essay Topic 3
Johannes and Cordelia break up.
Part 1) Describe their break up. Why do they break up?
Part 2) How are they both affected by this break up? How does the break up affect the reader? Why?
Part 3) How is this a part of Johannes' seduction plan? Does his plan go as scheduled? Why or why not? How are both Johannes and Cordelia changed by this seduction plan?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)