|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Johannes wish to stay distant from Cordelia?
(a) So that she has time to get over him.
(b) So that he can seduce another woman.
(c) So that she has time to become engaged to another.
(d) So that she can engage in the necessary hatred of men.
2. Johannes' plan is to organize the engagement so as to (a) break it off but (b) _____________________.
(a) Use it to torture Edward.
(b) Use it to satisfy his desire to seduce.
(c) Use it to secure a more beautiful and significant relationship.
(d) Use it to secure another woman.
3. Johannes thinks erotic love has gradations. How does he feel about Cordelia's progress in this regard?
(a) She is making a great deal of progress.
(b) She is not making progress.
(c) She is making very little progress.
(d) She is making progress.
4. Of what does Edward want to tell Cordelia?
(a) Johannes' poverty.
(b) Johannes' age.
(c) Johannes' love.
(d) Johannes' cunning.
5. Johannes suggests that love can only be perfect when?
(a) The lovers never fight.
(b) Others believe that the two individuals hate one another.
(c) Others know nothing about the love between these two individuals.
(d) Others believe that the two individuals are in love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Edward decide not to tell Cordelia this?
2. Does Cordelia express self-confidence in Johannes' presence?
3. Johahnes is deeply ___________.
4. What does Johannes consider between Edward and Cordelia but changes his mind because it would diminish her?
5. What must Johannes decide to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johannes say about erotic love? What does he mention regarding Cordelia's erotic love?
2. What is the 'first war?'
3. How does Johannes feel Cordelia feels about him? Why?
4. How does Johannes' relationship with Cordelia take a dramatic change in course?
5. What is taking place at the Wahl house at this time?
6. What his happening to Cordelia by the end of this section?
7. What does Johannes wonder and wish about Cordelia at this time?
8. Does Johannes believe Edward should be able to make any complaints about him? Why or why not?
9. What does Johannes write on September 24th?
10. Give details of some of Johannes' letters to Cordelia.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)