|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is God's love viewed from Hell's standpoint?
2. How does Lewis view the effects of democracy?
3. Why does Lewis contend scholars are the least likely to learn from thinkers of the past?
4. What does Screwtape become because he is so angry about the girl?
5. What does Screwtape mention is a devil's delight and will consistently provide a good supply of humans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lewis says mental escape hatches undermine people in every endeavor that requires courage and perseverance. What does he mean by this and how do mental escape hatches work?
2. How does Screwtape regard the human restlessness for change, as a positive or a negative?
3. What is a basic Lewis theme he illustrates when Wormwood asks is it desirable for the man to be in love or not to be in love?
4. What does Lewis describe as the surest road to hell?
5. Why does Screwtape advise Wormwood to focus upon the man's courage?
6. According to Lewis, what is required to sustain a marriage because sexual attraction is simply not enough?
7. What does Lewis describe as the key to success in both the physical and the spiritual sense?
8. How does Screwtape explain that living long and dying old is better for the devils than for a person to die young?
9. Why does Screwtape encourage Wormwood to have the couple sacrifice and be "unselfish" toward each other?
10. Lewis explains that in the end either God or Satan will claim a person's time, actions and ultimately the soul? How does each claim ownership in this eternal struggle between God and Satan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lewis contends democracy stifles excellence and encourages sameness and conformity. Discuss the premise that democracy should guarantee equality of opportunity, but it has been distorted to the point where democracy guarantees equality in general. Examples could include activities where every participant gets a trophy, everybody's opinion is valuable, everybody gets equal playing or participating time, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Suffering is part of God's will and plan for redemption. Describe at least 5 kinds of suffering as humans define it. Then, elaborate upon whether each type has a group counterpart, such as hunger. Are there redemptive aspects to group suffering?
Essay Topic 3
"I'm as good as you" is the thread of Screwtape's toast and Lewis' premise that the road to hell is through mediocrity fed by cultural numbness. Explain the cultural effects of this thread, especially as it relates to youth and as it relates to the lazy and dull individuals in a society.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)