|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Screwtape see as one advantage of church?
2. What is the wine of fiends to be sipped eternally?
3. What is the means to allow awakening in the patient?
4. What is the mindset that discourages belief that fiends exist?
5. Screwtape says the best fiend work is done this way.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Screwtape explain about the dynamics of a person who is church shopping?
2. Lewis asserts that dry spells in faith are an excellent time to tempt the man with sex? Why is sex especially useful to a devil during such times?
3. Screwtape instructs that not all humor is useful to a devil, but certain types are especially useful. What are the types of humor useful to a devil?
4. Screwtape tells Wormwood the English people are hateful in the abstract but kindly in the concrete. How does he suggest Wormwood use this information regarding the patient?
5. Why does Screwtape tell Wormwood the details of the war in progress are of no interest?
6. How does Screwtape tell Wormwood to use imaginings now that war is upon the patient?
7. Screwtape tells Wormwood he can possibly win the battle for the man's soul by getting him to join a faction, any faction. How is this possible?
8. Why does Screwtape tell Wormwood war is not necessarily always a good thing?
9. What does Lewis say about a person's present day morality and responsibilities?
10. Screwtape explains it is good to have a person develop a false and low opinion of God- given talent and likewise have a person regularly think of past sinfulness. How does Screwtape explain this as contrary to God's plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lewis also wrote a book "Mere Christianity." Screwtape asserts that mere Christianity is not favorable for the devils. Explain why Screwtape holds this view. Describe the opposite of mere Christianity and provide examples.
Essay Topic 2
Human progress is a chronicle of change in virtually all aspects of living to the extent that people seem to think change is not only inevitable and necessary, but also desirable. Elaborate on Lewis' premise that acquired knowledge can be lost from generation to generation because of rapid change. Provide examples of whether this is a favorable outcome.
Essay Topic 3
Lewis asserts that "falling in love" is used to justify irresponsible behavior and sexual misconduct. It is a poor reason for an inappropriate marriage. Explain the time frame and details of his contention that successful marriage is built upon virtues.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)