|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lewis remind is a reliable road to Hell?
(a) The long, slow, slippery slope.
(b) Dramatic sins followed by early death.
(c) The lack of prayer.
(d) The lack of response to prayers to God.
2. What does Screwtape say is the outcome of a person thinking time is their own?
(a) Entitlement to prevail upon the time of another.
(b) Laziness and wasting of time.
(c) Lack of focus and procrastination.
(d) Exasperation and impatience when "his/her" time is impinged upon.
3. What does Screwtape advise as war nears the man's home town?
(a) Encourage the man to hate all humanity.
(b) Encourage the man to reckless selfishness.
(c) Undermine courage in the man because it is the forge point of all virtues.
(d) Encourage the man not to resist, rely upon the Enemy.
4. What does Screwtape advise is the best means to get a person to act cowardly?
(a) Remind the patient of personal shortcomings.
(b) Fill the mind with little escape hatches in advance of the time courage is needed.
(c) Instill thoughts of jealousy and envy.
(d) Provide historical examples of humans that failed tests of courage.
5. What does Screwtape suggest to Wormwood if God does not answer a prayer?
(a) Suggest that God does not intervene directly in individual lives.
(b) Remind that a person has free will; God is just a bystander.
(c) Suggest that God is stern and slow to react.
(d) Asking God for things is absurd because prayer has no impact upon the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Screwtape learned in corresponding with Slumtrimpet, the girlfriend's fiend?
2. What does Screwtape say about cowardice?
3. Due to devilish ideas, what do people think about sexual satisfaction only through marriage?
4. How does Lewis deal with the idea of fearful feelings?
5. What is the one thing a human struggles with that can lessen with age and help the devils?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Screwtape advise Wormwood to focus upon the man's courage?
2. What is Lewis' concluding characterization of the modern age?
3. What does Lewis identify as the outcome of modern restless need for change?
4. How does Screwtape explain that living long and dying old is better for the devils than for a person to die young?
5. Why does Screwtape encourage Wormwood to have the couple sacrifice and be "unselfish" toward each other?
6. Part of Screwtape's toast at the annual dinner of the Tempters' Training College is an explanation of how Democracy helps devils work. What are the highlights of this help that Democracy provides?
7. Why does Screwtape say it is always a good tactic to use Christianity as a means to an end?
8. Lewis points out that a virtue that is not upheld when needed is not a virtue at all. What are his instructions to Wormwood to prepare for such situations?
9. What does Lewis describe as the surest road to hell?
10. Screwtape advises that humans have absurd ideas about time. How does he explain the absurdities to Wormwood?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)