|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Screwtape's suggestion for dividing the patient from the girl and friends?
(a) Suggest faith is merely a social custom.
(b) Provoke political disagreements as to how to apply faith to social realities.
(c) Suggest spirituality has no place in modern life.
(d) Provoke political disagreements as to how to apply social realities to faith.
2. What is the Judaeo-Christian principle that Lewis reinforces?
(a) Marrying the wrong woman for the wrong reasons can still lead to happiness.
(b) Sexual intercourse and sexual perversions are not major issues.
(c) "One flesh" is a discussion topic, not a real teaching.
(d) Marriage and sexual intercourse are irrevocable acts, not to be entered into lightly at all.
3. What does Screwtape identify as a disadvantage for devils?
(a) The prayers of a Christian can destroy much of the devil's work.
(b) A devil does not have a body to use for sexual temptation.
(c) Devils cannot create pleasure, only twist pleasure that exists.
(d) Devils are incapable of violating the code of Our Father Below.
4. What does Screwtape say is the Enemy's standard about sexual matters?
(a) Constant wariness is required.
(b) Complete abstinence or complete monogamy.
(c) Can be controlled by the intellect.
(d) Can never be used as an enticement.
5. What does Screwtape suggest to Wormwood if God does not answer a prayer?
(a) Suggest that God does not intervene directly in individual lives.
(b) Remind that a person has free will; God is just a bystander.
(c) Asking God for things is absurd because prayer has no impact upon the world.
(d) Suggest that God is stern and slow to react.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Screwtape instruct Wormwood to take advantage of suffering?
2. How do devils divorce humans from the learning of thinkers of the past?
3. What is an effective tactic to remove people from close encounters with Jesus?
4. What sort of Christian does Screwtape prefer?
5. What virtue does Screwtape suggest will be lacking in the patient because of his new friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Screwtape encourage Wormwood to have the couple sacrifice and be "unselfish" toward each other?
2. Why does Screwtape advise Wormwood to focus upon the man's courage?
3. Part of Screwtape's toast at the annual dinner of the Tempters' Training College is an explanation of how Democracy helps devils work. What are the highlights of this help that Democracy provides?
4. The Bible, taught as the Word of God, describes marriage and sexual union as "one flesh", an irrevocable act, and teaches against divorce. What elements does Lewis state work against this classic Judaeo-Christian position?
5. How does Screwtape describe the influence of Hell and the devils when it comes to the idea of "falling in love".
6. What does Lewis identify as the outcome of modern restless need for change?
7. What does Screwtape outline as the strategy for instilling spiritual pride in a human?
8. Lewis says mental escape hatches undermine people in every endeavor that requires courage and perseverance. What does he mean by this and how do mental escape hatches work?
9. Lewis explains that in the end either God or Satan will claim a person's time, actions and ultimately the soul? How does each claim ownership in this eternal struggle between God and Satan?
10. What does Lewis describe as the key to success in both the physical and the spiritual sense?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)