|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of Screwtape's favorite tricks concerning Christianity?
(a) Suggest Christianity is a mind-numbing drug.
(b) Make Christianity a means to an end, thereby creating unattainable mental notions.
(c) Propose Christianity exists only to comfort the weak.
(d) Suggest Christianity is learned in childhood and is a childish idea.
2. What does Lewis suggest is a person's reward for doing one's duty?
(a) A peaceful death.
(b) Consistent spiritual pains.
(c) Seeing and being with God.
(d) A sense of inner peace throughout life.
3. What does Lewis remind is a reliable road to Hell?
(a) Dramatic sins followed by early death.
(b) The long, slow, slippery slope.
(c) The lack of prayer.
(d) The lack of response to prayers to God.
4. How does Screwtape suggest to use the information he is providing to Wormwood?
(a) Instill distrust in the patient toward the girl and family.
(b) Instill false pride in the patient about his relationship with the girl.
(c) Suggest the girl is flawed and not capable of fidelity.
(d) Introduce the serious sin of spiritual pride.
5. What is Screwtape's view of the patient's new girl?
(a) She is a sexual pervert who will be a good match.
(b) She is a sincere Christian that in the old days would have been fed to the lions.
(c) She is dimwitted and easily manipulated.
(d) She is of loose character and morals.
6. What does Screwtape advise is the best means to get a person to act cowardly?
(a) Fill the mind with little escape hatches in advance of the time courage is needed.
(b) Provide historical examples of humans that failed tests of courage.
(c) Instill thoughts of jealousy and envy.
(d) Remind the patient of personal shortcomings.
7. What does Screwtape say the Enemy claims is unselfishness?
(d) Marital fidelity.
8. What does Screwtape label as fashionable Christianity?
(a) Christianity devoted only to social justice.
(b) Christianity devoted only to any single subject.
(c) Christianity devoted only to ending war.
(d) Christianity concerned with passing trends and fads.
9. What is Screwtape's depiction of Hell?
(a) Hell is a place where the flawed humans constantly repeat lies.
(b) Hell is a place where human tormentors in life become the victims.
(c) Hell is a place where the superior consume the weak and inferior.
(d) Hell is a place of unending cruelty toward the weakest.
10. What do life happenings provide for every person according to Lewis?
(a) A chance to find or to advance personal success.
(b) An occasion to come closer to Heaven or to Hell.
(c) An occasion to possibly involve sex or perversion.
(d) A chance to test God.
11. What does Lewis advise is the outcome of lack of commitment to important matters?
(a) A life lived mostly free of stress.
(b) Strong possibility of failure.
(c) Strong possibility of worldly success.
(d) A life of befuddled underachievement.
12. What is Screwtape's suggestion for dividing the patient from the girl and friends?
(a) Suggest spirituality has no place in modern life.
(b) Provoke political disagreements as to how to apply faith to social realities.
(c) Suggest faith is merely a social custom.
(d) Provoke political disagreements as to how to apply social realities to faith.
13. What is the one thing a human struggles with that can lessen with age and help the devils?
14. What virtue does Screwtape suggest will be lacking in the patient because of his new friends?
15. How do devils divorce humans from the learning of thinkers of the past?
(a) Suggest the authors had simplistic viewpoints.
(b) Befuddle people by mixing falsehood with history.
(c) Discourage people by making past figures larger than life itself.
(d) Suggest the authors fit only to their time and place in history.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Screwtape tell Wormwood is great fodder for quarrels?
2. How does Screwtape describe an "infernal Venus"?
3. What does Screwtape say is the Enemy's standard about sexual matters?
4. Due to devilish ideas, what do people think about sexual satisfaction only through marriage?
5. What does Lewis think slowed twentieth century progress and thereby helped Hell?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)