|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does sex work best in the fiend's favor?
(a) When sex involves deceit of another.
(b) When the patient is an adolescent.
(c) When sex is readily available and involves multiple partners.
(d) When sex is bereft of love, as a remedy for emotional pain.
2. Why should Wormwood attack immediately if the patient is happily living in the present?
(a) Happy is not a natural human condition.
(b) The Enemy always helps happy people.
(c) The patient may become permanently happy.
(d) The patient has no right to be happy.
3. What have the Enemy's servants taught for 2000 years as the greatest temptation?
4. What is a reliable tactic to use on a new Christian?
(a) Stir childhood memories of God.
(b) Convince him the world is basically good.
(c) Flit his thinking from Christianity to his neighbors in the pews.
(d) Convince him the world is basically evil.
5. What are the best sort of jokes?
(a) Jokes about sex.
(b) Jokes about churchgoers.
(c) Jokes about science.
(d) Jokes that excuse acts of cruelty or cowardice.
6. Screwtape tells Wormwood to train the patient about prayer.
(a) The best prayers are measured by the feelings produced.
(b) The best prayers are personal imaginings about God.
(c) The best prayers are built upon childhood parrot-like repetition.
(d) The best prayers are measured by review of personal possessions.
7. According to Screwtape, which is the better way for a patient to die?
(a) Tragic accident shocking to family and friends.
(b) In a nursing home among lying doctors, lying nurses, and lying friends.
(c) Anonymously in an action of war.
(d) Quietly at home, without prayer.
8. Screwtape says humans living together will develop which of these over time?
(a) Dependency about practical life matters.
(b) Contradictory love and hate feelings.
(c) Spiritual awareness of the other.
(d) Voice tones and facials that irritate.
9. What does Screwtape remind is the real business of a fiend?
(a) Constantly develop the patient's life regrets.
(b) Undermine faith and prevent formation of virtue.
(c) Foster anger and resentment.
(d) Alienate by word and action those closest to the patient.
10. What does the thought 'religion is all very well up to a point' lead to?
(a) Sensible strong Christians.
(b) Moderated religion is no religion at all.
(c) Free will can define the limits of religion.
(d) Jargon has no place in religion.
11. What is the origin of all pleasure, including sex?
(a) Worldly success.
(b) Free will.
(c) Our Father Below.
(d) The Enemy.
12. According to Screwtape, what is typical thinking for a new Christian?
(a) He has God's favor by allowing himself to become a Christian.
(b) Neighbors and friends will admire the change.
(c) Life and choices will now be much better.
(d) Church is full of good people.
13. What does Screwtape believe to be an elementary fact?
(a) Humans tend to become whatever they pretend to be.
(b) Humans can be easily misled.
(c) Humans always at some point distrust the Enemy.
(d) Humans are incapable of setting and keeping goals.
14. Why is it preferable to focus the patient's mind on the future?
(a) This is contrary to what God prefers.
(b) This stirs up ambition.
(c) This stirs up memories of past shortcomings.
(d) This stirs up emphasis on the unimportant.
15. Screwtape tells Wormwood it is best if patient avoids this.
(a) Visions of Scripture re-enactments.
(b) Church attendance other than Sunday.
(c) Financial support of missionary works.
(d) All inclinations to pray.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lewis suggest the modern person avoid gluttony?
2. What are heavenly pleasures that reflect love of friends and family for one another?
3. What does it indicate when a person is continually church shopping?
4. What is the best ally for a fiend?
5. How does Screwtape summarize that it is fine if the patient only feels renewed?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)