|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 31.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Screwtape advise that unselfishness is fertile ground for marital strife?
(a) A woman thinks it is taking trouble for others, a man thinks it is not giving trouble to others.
(b) Unselfishness leads to sexual dysfunction.
(c) There is not any way to define unselfishness.
(d) Unselfishness can alter a person's thinking.
2. What is upsetting to Screwtape about the sudden demise?
(a) The patient had too much time for preparation.
(b) Wormwood was inattentive and all was lost.
(c) The patient "got through" without slow suffering plus he immediately recognized the workings of Wormwood.
(d) Wormwood failed to ask Screwtape's help at the end.
3. Why is sexual perversion a useful tool for the fiend?
(a) God tolerates sexual perversion.
(b) Sexual perversion is fun and satisfying.
(c) Sexual perversion diverts a person's thinking about sexuality within marriage.
(d) Sexual perversion breeds distrust.
4. What does Screwtape say is the outcome of a person thinking time is their own?
(a) Exasperation and impatience when "his/her" time is impinged upon.
(b) Lack of focus and procrastination.
(c) Laziness and wasting of time.
(d) Entitlement to prevail upon the time of another.
5. How does Screwtape instruct Wormwood to use the horrors of war?
(a) Use the scenes of horror to induce cowardice.
(b) Let humans think that only horror is real, goodness and beauty are not equally real.
(c) Use the scenes of horror to provke anger toward God.
(d) Use the horror that happens to create hateful thoughts of more horror.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Screwtape suggest is the benefit of theories about the historical Jesus?
2. What does Screwtape say is the root of the sin of gluttony?
3. What is Screwtape's response to whether it is desirable for a patient to be in love?
4. What is the goal of marrying off a patient to an unsuitable partner?
5. Why is it preferable to focus the patient's mind on the future?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)