|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Screwtape say is the modern version of gluttony?
(a) Excess consumption of liquor at mealtime.
(b) Excess consumption of desserts at mealtime.
(c) Close attention to dieting even at the inconvenience of others.
(d) Taking food away from the serving table in "doggy bags."
2. What is the role of the language department of Hell?
(a) Suggest meaningless jargon.
(b) Promote good news items to provoke jealousy.
(c) Promote bad news items to create anxiety.
(d) Corrupt the meaning of a word, thereby corrupting the idea.
3. What does Lewis think makes a person slave to the appetites?
(a) Vanity about food knowledge and food preparation.
(b) Disregard of the opinion of others about consumption.
(c) Strong attachment to what goes into the mouth.
(d) Reliance upon dieting.
4. What does Screwtape say is the root of the sin of gluttony?
(a) Ideas of superiority.
(b) Desire to offend.
(d) Selfishness and lack of consideration.
5. What type of friendships should Wormwood encourage to the patient?
(a) People that have many moral values.
(b) People that are wholly committed churchgoers.
(c) People that have few moral values.
(d) People that are bright, skeptical, wealthy and worldly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Screwtape label as fashionable Christianity?
2. What sort of Christian does Screwtape prefer?
3. How should Wormwood try to develop permanent deceit in the patient?
4. What does Lewis say is the modern fiend's methods of temptation?
5. How does Lewis suggest the modern person avoid gluttony?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)