|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Orwell's opinion, what was one way the working class man differed from the middle class man?
2. What portion of the population of Wigan was living on unemployment, including family members?
3. What did Orwell believe was the deeper implications of Socialism?
4. To what did Orwell compare a "shabby-genteel family" in England?
5. How long was Orwell a member of the Indian Police?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was a "shabby-genteel" family in Orwell's opinion? What were some of the characteristics of a shabby-genteel family?
2. What one overarching generalization was Orwell taught about the lower classes of people in his town? What author did Orwell quote in support of this theory, and what did the author say?
3. Why did Orwell think Socialism was not on the rise in England? What did he think Socialists were doing to discourage people from participating?
4. Why did Orwell consider Socialism a way out of the social and economic conditions plaguing England in the 1930's? How did he present his argument?
5. How did Orwell argue against the common misconception that the poor and unemployed are simply lazy?
6. Where did Orwell go to live for five years when he was twenty? What were the difference in class distinctions he observed there?
7. Orwell described the view from a street in Sheffield. Describe what he saw when he looked around the town.
8. What did Orwell identify as the two methodologies for abolishing the class system in England? Why did he believe neither of these two to be viable?
9. What did Orwell do in order to learn more about the working class conditions he had previously not understood? How did he go about trying to be a part of the working class and see the world through their eyes?
10. How did Orwell see the clash between the Socialist idea of the machine state and the working people Socialism wished to bring into the fold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Orwell go about learning more about the working class poor? Do you think his methods were ethical? Do you believe that by doing what he did he actually saw the real side of the lower classes in northern England? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the northern, industrialized parts of England, coal was a prime commodity. What role did Orwell see coal playing in the industrialized world? How did this compare with miners' wages? On what did he blame the inequities he witnessed? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In Orwell's opinion, Socialism was more than an economic doctrine. Discuss Orwell's definitions of Socialism and why he believed it to be the most logical form of government for England at the end of the 1930's.
This section contains 1,463 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)