|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Comrade X?
(a) A member of the A.C.L.U. and a politician.
(b) A member of the C.P.G.B. and an author.
(c) A member of the R.S.V.P. and a politician.
(d) A member of the N.W.P. and an author.
2. Where did Orwell first go to sleep with the beggars and criminals of the working class?
(a) Limehouse and Whitechapel.
(b) London and Sheffield.
(c) Orangehouse and Greychapel.
(d) Wigan and Sheffield.
3. What four words did Orwell discuss in detail as the reason for class distinctions?
(a) The lower class smell.
(b) The middle class lie.
(c) The upper class steal.
(d) The upper-middle class cheat.
4. How did unemployment affect the life of the married man?
(a) Unemployment drove men to drink.
(b) Unemployment encouraged men to do housework.
(c) Unemployment raised the crime rate.
(d) Unemployment did not make much difference in the home.
5. Who was the typical Socialist of the late 1930's in England?
(a) A member of the lower class.
(b) A man.
(c) A member of the middle class.
(d) A woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did "The Sleeper Awakes" and "Brave New World" have in common in Orwell's opinion?
2. Why were the industrial towns in England so ugly and noxious?
3. Who did Orwell believe was doing the best work for the unemployed in the thirties?
4. Who was John Galsworthy?
5. What book did Orwell write telling of his experiences in London with the unemployed street people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Orwell described the view from a street in Sheffield. Describe what he saw when he looked around the town.
2. Describe the slag heaps found in northern England. What did they look like? What were they eventually used for in Wigan?
3. What did Orwell identify as the two methodologies for abolishing the class system in England? Why did he believe neither of these two to be viable?
4. How did Orwell see the clash between the Socialist idea of the machine state and the working people Socialism wished to bring into the fold?
5. What was "scrambling for the coal?"
6. What were some of the benefits available to unemployed workers in Wigan and Sheffield? How long did benefits last? How long could someone remain unemployed before running out of benefits?
7. What was the Means Test? Why did people dislike the Means Test?
8. Why did Orwell think Socialism was not on the rise in England? What did he think Socialists were doing to discourage people from participating?
9. What one overarching generalization was Orwell taught about the lower classes of people in his town? What author did Orwell quote in support of this theory, and what did the author say?
10. What was a "shabby-genteel" family in Orwell's opinion? What were some of the characteristics of a shabby-genteel family?
This section contains 1,446 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)