|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Orwell find was the basis of the diet for families of the unemployed?
(a) White bread, butter, chipped beef, sugared tea and carrots.
(b) White bread, margerine, corned beef, sugared tea and potatoes.
(c) White bread, butter, tinny beef, sugared tea and potatoes.
(d) White bread, butter, roast beef, sugared tea and carrots.
2. What did Orwell envision a home in the future?
(a) Invisible heaters, glass and steel furniture and fewer children.
(b) Forced air heating, larger grocery stores and mechanical doors.
(c) Electricity will run all functions in the home.
(d) Glass and steel furniture, no libraries and more children.
3. What did Orwell cite as a reason class hatred seemed to be diminishing in the late 1930's?
(a) These opinions of hatred were not real anymore.
(b) These opinions of hatred were those of only old men.
(c) These opinions of hatred were those of only the upper classes.
(d) These opinions of hatred were not in print anymore.
4. What was one commodity that was less expensive in industrialized parts of England than the rest of the country?
5. How did unemployment affect the life of the married man?
(a) Unemployment raised the crime rate.
(b) Unemployment encouraged men to do housework.
(c) Unemployment drove men to drink.
(d) Unemployment did not make much difference in the home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What portion of the population of Wigan was living on unemployment, including family members?
2. What did Orwell say was the primary preoccupation of a single unemployed man in winter?
3. Why did Orwell reference "Punch" in his discussion of class?
4. What was "scrambling for the coal?"
5. What class did Orwell say he was born into?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the benefits available to unemployed workers in Wigan and Sheffield? How long did benefits last? How long could someone remain unemployed before running out of benefits?
2. What was the unemployment situation in England in the 1930's? How did Orwell's figures differ from official government figures?
3. How did Orwell explain the attitude toward the family in a working class society? How did it differ in his opinion from the middle class man and his family?
4. What was the Means Test? Why did people dislike the Means Test?
5. What one overarching generalization was Orwell taught about the lower classes of people in his town? What author did Orwell quote in support of this theory, and what did the author say?
6. How did Orwell argue against the common misconception that the poor and unemployed are simply lazy?
7. Why did Orwell consider Socialism a way out of the social and economic conditions plaguing England in the 1930's? How did he present his argument?
8. What were the attributes of the Northern snobbishness Orwell writes about?
9. Orwell described the view from a street in Sheffield. Describe what he saw when he looked around the town.
10. Describe the slag heaps found in northern England. What did they look like? What were they eventually used for in Wigan?
This section contains 1,497 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)