|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Orwell go to hear speak while he was in Sheffield?
(a) A play.
(b) A town hall meeting.
(c) A lecture by a clergyman.
(d) A movie.
2. With what, according to Orwell, is socialism inextricably connected?
(a) The idea of workers' solidarity.
(b) The idea of better housing and working conditions.
(c) The idea of machine production.
(d) The idea of overthrow of the rich.
3. What four words did Orwell discuss in detail as the reason for class distinctions?
(a) The lower class smell.
(b) The upper-middle class cheat.
(c) The middle class lie.
(d) The upper class steal.
4. Who said "an army marches on its stomach?"
5. What did Orwell think was the result of efforts at reducing class distinctions in England?
(a) It mostly brought children together from all classes of society.
(b) It simply intensified prejudice.
(c) It was the reason for class warfare.
(d) It gave people a chance to see how the other half lived.
Short Answer Questions
1. What things did Orwell believe a good writer needed that an unemployed man could not find?
2. What did Orwell say was the primary preoccupation of a single unemployed man in winter?
3. What did Orwell believe every unemployed man should be given if he wanted it?
4. What did Orwell think was more important than changes in dynasties or changes of religion?
5. How did Orwell describe a slag heap?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Orwell go to live for five years when he was twenty? What were the difference in class distinctions he observed there?
2. What did Orwell do in order to learn more about the working class conditions he had previously not understood? How did he go about trying to be a part of the working class and see the world through their eyes?
3. Orwell described the view from a street in Sheffield. Describe what he saw when he looked around the town.
4. What does the statement by Napoleon "an army marches on its stomach" mean in context of life in industrialized England?
5. What were some of the benefits available to unemployed workers in Wigan and Sheffield? How long did benefits last? How long could someone remain unemployed before running out of benefits?
6. What did Orwell identify as the two methodologies for abolishing the class system in England? Why did he believe neither of these two to be viable?
7. What was the Means Test? Why did people dislike the Means Test?
8. How did Orwell see the clash between the Socialist idea of the machine state and the working people Socialism wished to bring into the fold?
9. How did Orwell's time in the military police effect his thinking about government and oppression?
10. What was "scrambling for the coal?"
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)