|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book did Orwell write telling of his experiences in London with the unemployed street people?
(a) Down and Out in Paris and London.
(b) Down and Out in London.
(c) Down and Out in the Gutters of London.
(d) Down and Out on the Seine.
2. Where did Orwell go before he turned twenty?
(c) Washington D.C.
3. What did Orwell find amazing about the unemployed men he met after returning from Burma?
(a) That they were well fed and well clothed.
(b) That they were ashamed of being unemployed.
(c) That they were angry and bitter people.
(d) That they were shiftless and uneducated.
4. What did Orwell cite as a reason class hatred seemed to be diminishing in the late 1930's?
(a) These opinions of hatred were those of only the upper classes.
(b) These opinions of hatred were not in print anymore.
(c) These opinions of hatred were those of only old men.
(d) These opinions of hatred were not real anymore.
5. What did Orwell say was the distinguishing mark of the upper-middle class before the war in England?
(a) It was known for its gluttony.
(b) It allowed no other people in its ranks.
(c) It believed in the power of money and education.
(d) It consisted of mainly military, official and professional people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Orwell say was the only way to abolish class distinctions in England?
2. Why were the industrial towns in England so ugly and noxious?
3. When asked who the top ten greatest men living in 1920, who was most often named in Orwell's school class?
4. How was unemployment viewed by people in the late twenties and early thirties in England?
5. When Orwell said he was "advocatus diaboli" what did he mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the negative affects of unemployment on any town despite unemployment benefits?
2. What was the unemployment situation in England in the 1930's? How did Orwell's figures differ from official government figures?
3. Orwell described the view from a street in Sheffield. Describe what he saw when he looked around the town.
4. What was the employment situation in Wigan and Sheffield, the two towns Orwell wrote about?
5. Describe the slag heaps found in northern England. What did they look like? What were they eventually used for in Wigan?
6. Why did Orwell think Socialism was not on the rise in England? What did he think Socialists were doing to discourage people from participating?
7. What were some of the benefits available to unemployed workers in Wigan and Sheffield? How long did benefits last? How long could someone remain unemployed before running out of benefits?
8. What were the reasons Orwell cited for Socialism being intrinsically tied to machine industrialization?
9. What did Orwell identify as the two methodologies for abolishing the class system in England? Why did he believe neither of these two to be viable?
10. Why did Orwell think the working class people were rarely pure Socialists?
This section contains 1,439 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)