|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did one member of the press see Orwell's presence in Wigan?
(a) Orwell was there to snoop into poor people's lives.
(b) Orwell was a fascist.
(c) Orwell did not understand the suffering of the poor.
(d) Orwell was there to vilify humanity.
2. What was one "perk" given to miners that was actually off-set by transportation costs?
(a) Bonus for meeting coal goals.
(b) Free tool sharpening.
(c) Bonus for on-time work.
(d) Reduced cost of the coal for their houses.
3. Upon what did Orwell believe our civilization is based?
4. Why did men chew tobacco in the mines?
(a) It was a deterrent to thirst.
(b) It was a stimulant.
(c) It was good for headaches.
(d) It was medicinal.
5. What was one problem faced by the tenant moving from slum housing into new housing?
(a) The outdoor plumbing.
(b) The noise level.
(c) The lack of medical care.
(d) The higher expense.
6. How did Orwell describe Mrs. Brooker?
(a) An overweight, jolly woman.
(b) A jolly, industrious woman.
(c) An anxious faced, obese invalid.
(d) A beautiful, tall seductress.
7. Who did the tenants of the slum houses believe to be the worst landlords?
(a) The mayor or anyone in his office.
(b) The poor woman who lives off the rent of her tenants.
(c) The wealthy buisnessman in London.
(d) The government.
8. How does a miner bathe after dinner?
(a) In an outdoor shower.
(b) In a hot bath tub.
(c) In a tub outside in the yard.
(d) With a basin of water and a washcloth.
9. What is a "gob fire?"
(a) A cigarette fire.
(b) A coal fire.
(c) A spontaneously generating fire.
(d) A spontaneous heat problem.
10. In what positions did Orwell find himself moving through the tunnels in the coal mine?
(a) Standing, crawling and moving on his belly.
(b) Bent over, crawling and twisting.
(c) Bent over, squatting and running.
(d) Bent over, squatting and crawling.
11. What is nystagmus?
(a) A lung disease.
(b) A nose disease.
(c) A heart disease.
(d) An eye disease.
12. How many tons of coal were moved on the conveyor belt every minute?
(a) One ton.
(b) Millions of pounds.
(c) Several tons.
(d) Hundreds of pounds.
13. In a year, how many minors are killed at work?
(a) One in ten thousand.
(b) One in nine hundred.
(c) One in twenty.
(d) One in one hundred.
14. What were "cream crackers?"
(a) Fried bread.
(c) Potato chips.
15. What does "back to back" mean?
(a) Two houses built as one, one upstairs, one downstairs.
(b) Two houses separated by a brick wall.
(c) Two houses combined to make one large house.
(d) Two houses built as one, front house faces the street, back house faces the alley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "one up, one down" mean?
2. How did Orwell describe the meals at the Brooker's house?
3. What point was Orwell making in his explanation of the coal miner's pay?
4. What were "caravan dwellings?"
5. Why does every miner have a blue scar on his nose and forehead?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)