|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What could happen to cause a miner to lose one or two days pay?
(a) A machinery breakdown or a fault.
(b) A new training session.
(c) An over-scheduling mistake.
(d) A broken elevator.
2. What did Orwell say the fillers looked like?
(a) Hammered iron statues.
(b) Wooden soldiers.
(c) Slaves in Egypt.
(d) Hammered metal sculpture.
3. What point was Orwell making in his explanation of the coal miner's pay?
(a) They are paid more than the mayor of the town.
(b) They are actually well paid.
(c) They are actually paid very little.
(d) They are paid the same as any other laborer.
4. What is "buttons down the back?"
(a) A death story told to novices just entering the mines.
(b) A joke miners play on each other.
(c) Permanent scabs on vertebrae from scraping the spine on beams.
(d) The type of shirt worn to keep dust from getting into clothing.
5. How did Orwell describe Mrs. Brooker?
(a) A beautiful, tall seductress.
(b) An anxious faced, obese invalid.
(c) An overweight, jolly woman.
(d) A jolly, industrious woman.
6. What is one superstition miner sometimes hold to?
(a) It is bad luck to wear red into the mines.
(b) It is bad luck to see a woman before going to work in the morning shift.
(c) It is bad luck to kiss a woman goodbye before going into the mines.
(d) It is bad luck to carry a photograph of one's children into the mines.
7. What is a cage?
(a) A steel box in which supplies and personal belongings are kept.
(b) A steel box that is lowered at a fast rate into the caverns of the mine.
(c) A steel box in which the foreman rides through the caverns.
(d) A steel box in which coal is transported to the surface.
8. What was one problem faced by the tenant moving from slum housing into new housing?
(a) The higher expense.
(b) The noise level.
(c) The lack of medical care.
(d) The outdoor plumbing.
9. For what did the Brookers purchase insurance policies?
(a) They insured their home and shop.
(b) They insured their children.
(c) They insured each other.
(d) They insured the lives of both old age pensioners.
10. In a year, how many minors are killed at work?
(a) One in ten thousand.
(b) One in nine hundred.
(c) One in twenty.
(d) One in one hundred.
11. Who wrote "The Coal Scuttle?"
(a) Mr. John Abbott, Mayor of Chelsey, Yorkshire.
(b) Mr. Paul McCartney, Mayor of Barnsley, Yorkshire.
(c) Mr. Joseph Jones, Mayor of Barnsley, Yorkshire.
(d) Mr. Albert Hall, Mayor of Chelsey, Yorkshire.
12. What was one common characteristic of all of the houses Orwell saw in industrial towns?
(a) None of them were high rent.
(b) None of them were brick.
(c) None of them had running hot water.
(d) None of them were less than two bedrooms.
13. How did Orwell react to the train moving into the countryside?
(a) He was confused as to where the train was headed.
(b) He was happy to be seeing his family again.
(c) He was happy to be out of the dark and dirty city.
(d) He was sad to be leaving his home.
14. How did Orwell describe Mr. Brooker?
(a) A dark, sour, small boned, filthy man.
(b) An aggressive, manly, attractive fellow.
(c) An ugly, offensive, odd smelling man.
(d) A small boned, angry, crippled man.
15. What is the first thing a miner does when he comes up from the mine?
(a) Gargles water to get the coal dust out of his nose and mouth.
(b) Strips off his shirt and wipes his face.
(c) Drinks large quantities of water.
(d) Goes home to bathe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Orwell urge the reader to realize about the coal miner?
2. At what time of year does the coal industry slack off?
3. How did one member of the press see Orwell's presence in Wigan?
4. When a miner comes up from the pit, why does he appear to be pale?
5. To what did Orwell compare the sound of the conveyor belt in the mine?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)