|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a cage?
(a) A steel box in which coal is transported to the surface.
(b) A steel box in which supplies and personal belongings are kept.
(c) A steel box in which the foreman rides through the caverns.
(d) A steel box that is lowered at a fast rate into the caverns of the mine.
2. What physical attributes did the fillers share?
(a) They were short, slightly overweight and broad shouldered.
(b) They were small, overweight thick thighed men.
(c) They were tall, broad shouldered and thick around the waist.
(d) They were small, broad shouldered and thin.
3. How long were the fillers on the job during their shifts?
(a) Eight hours with half an hour for lunch.
(b) Six hours with no benefits.
(c) Seven and a half hours with no break.
(d) Seven hours with two twenty minute breaks.
4. In what position must the fillers work?
(a) On their knees.
(c) Slouching over.
(d) Standing up.
5. How did D. H. Lawrence come to Orwell's mind as he rode the train?
(a) He looked at a beautiful girl.
(b) He met a passenger whose name was Lawrence.
(c) He was reading a book of poetry.
(d) He looked out over snow-covered hills.
6. What other types of expenses were taken from the miner's pay?
(a) Hospital fees, tools, uniform rental.
(b) Uniform rental, tools, union fees.
(c) Insurance, lamp rental, union fees.
(d) Insurance, uniform rental, hospital fees.
7. How did Orwell react to the train moving into the countryside?
(a) He was sad to be leaving his home.
(b) He was happy to be out of the dark and dirty city.
(c) He was happy to be seeing his family again.
(d) He was confused as to where the train was headed.
8. How did the Brookers view the two old age pensioners that lived in their house?
(a) They thought of them as dreadful parasites living on their charity.
(b) They did not think of them at all as long as they paid their rent.
(c) They thought of them as a danger because they smoked in bed.
(d) They thought of them as two old, quiet men bothering no one.
9. What is nystagmus?
(a) A lung disease.
(b) A heart disease.
(c) An eye disease.
(d) A nose disease.
10. How far under the ground was Orwell when he reached the bottom of the mine?
(a) Seven hundred feet.
(b) Four thousand feet.
(c) Four thousand yards.
(d) Four hundred yards.
11. When they had something to eat, what did the fillers consume?
(a) A large pan of hot cereal and a bottle of cold tea.
(b) A large sandwich and pickles, and a bottle of cold tea.
(c) A hunk of bread and drippings, and a bottle of cold tea.
(d) A hunk of meat and gravy, and a bottle of cold tea.
12. With what phrase did all of Mrs. Brooker's complaints end?
(a) "I hate it all, all I say."
(b) "It does seem 'ard, don't it now?"
(c) "It do seem unfair, don't it?"
(d) "I just as well die tonight!"
13. Who did the tenants of the slum houses believe to be the worst landlords?
(a) The wealthy buisnessman in London.
(b) The poor woman who lives off the rent of her tenants.
(c) The mayor or anyone in his office.
(d) The government.
14. What is a snap can?
(a) A can of sardines strapped onto a belt for lunch.
(b) A lunch can that is strapped onto a belt.
(c) A can with medical supplies.
(d) A cold can of iced tea.
15. What was one common characteristic of all of the houses Orwell saw in industrial towns?
(a) None of them were high rent.
(b) None of them were brick.
(c) None of them were less than two bedrooms.
(d) None of them had running hot water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Orwell find to be the determining factor in the way housekeeping was done?
2. How did one member of the press see Orwell's presence in Wigan?
3. How was the coal miner getter paid?
4. At what time of year does the coal industry slack off?
5. When a miner comes up from the pit, why does he appear to be pale?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)