|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did D. H. Lawrence come to Orwell's mind as he rode the train?
(a) He looked out over snow-covered hills.
(b) He looked at a beautiful girl.
(c) He met a passenger whose name was Lawrence.
(d) He was reading a book of poetry.
2. What was the major difference between a mile above ground and a mile in the pit bottom?
(a) You could not stand upright in the pit bottom.
(b) You could not measure distance in the pit bottom.
(c) You were not able to hear anything in the pit bottom.
(d) You could not return the same way.
3. What famous line came from Greenwood's play "Love on the Dole?"
(a) "Oh God, let me die!"
(b) "Oh God, why have y ou done this to me?"
(c) "Oh, God, let me get out of here!"
(d) "Oh God, send me some work!"
4. What is left when a slag heap sinks into the ground?
(a) Dry land and weeds.
(b) Ugly brown grass and soggy ground.
(c) Soggy ground and bamboo.
(d) A small hill of dirt.
5. In what position must the fillers work?
(a) Slouching over.
(b) Standing up.
(c) On their knees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one common characteristic of all of the houses Orwell saw in industrial towns?
2. What did Orwell think was the result of efforts at reducing class distinctions in England?
3. Who did Orwell go to hear speak while he was in Sheffield?
4. When they had something to eat, what did the fillers consume?
5. What was one commodity that was less expensive in industrialized parts of England than the rest of the country?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)