|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Orwell react to the train moving into the countryside?
(a) He was sad to be leaving his home.
(b) He was happy to be out of the dark and dirty city.
(c) He was confused as to where the train was headed.
(d) He was happy to be seeing his family again.
2. What was done with the unusable shale inside of the mines?
(a) It was left in the mine in empty mine shafts.
(b) It was added to the coal and processed.
(c) It was taken away by large trucks and brought to lakes and rivers.
(d) It was brought to the surface and dumped into "dirt-heaps."
3. What were some of the misconceptions Orwell noted about Socialists in 1930's England?
(a) They were all determined to undermine the class structure of the community.
(b) They were all closet Facists.
(c) They are all eccentric, pacifists and cranks.
(d) They were all pseudo-intellectuals.
4. Who was Old Jack?
(a) An ex-miner, 80 years old, whose left hand had been severed in a mining accident.
(b) An ex-miner, 78 years old, who worked for over fifty years in the coal pits.
(c) An ex-shopkeeper, around 80, who retired and sold his shop.
(d) An ex-soldier, 75 years old, whose legs were both amputated after a battle.
5. Who did Orwell identify as the group of workers most important for Socialists to reach?
(a) Governmental representatives.
(b) The rich.
(c) Parents of large families.
(d) Office workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one problem faced by the tenant moving from slum housing into new housing?
2. Who was Comrade X?
3. Where did Orwell first go to sleep with the beggars and criminals of the working class?
4. What was one "perk" given to miners that was actually off-set by transportation costs?
5. What did Orwell learn had happened to Wigan Pier?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)