|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what phrase did all of Mrs. Brooker's complaints end?
(a) "It does seem 'ard, don't it now?"
(b) "I hate it all, all I say."
(c) "It do seem unfair, don't it?"
(d) "I just as well die tonight!"
2. What was the only quality associated with hell that was not in the coal mine?
(b) Foul air.
3. What could happen to cause a miner to lose one or two days pay?
(a) A machinery breakdown or a fault.
(b) An over-scheduling mistake.
(c) A new training session.
(d) A broken elevator.
4. What was one common characteristic of all of the houses Orwell saw in industrial towns?
(a) None of them were high rent.
(b) None of them were less than two bedrooms.
(c) None of them had running hot water.
(d) None of them were brick.
5. What were the first sounds Orwell heard in the morning when he woke at the Brookers?
(a) The sound of mill girls' clogs down the cobbled street.
(b) The sound of birds chirping in the trees.
(c) The sound of hammering at the house next door.
(d) The sound of Mrs. Brooker bustling around the kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the occupational centers of the thirties?
2. In order to calculate the actual number of people living on unemployment in England, what would one need to do?
3. Who said "an army marches on its stomach?"
4. What did Orwell find was the basis of the diet for families of the unemployed?
5. What famous line came from Greenwood's play "Love on the Dole?"
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)