|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10, 11, and 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Brookers view the two old age pensioners that lived in their house?
(a) They thought of them as two old, quiet men bothering no one.
(b) They did not think of them at all as long as they paid their rent.
(c) They thought of them as dreadful parasites living on their charity.
(d) They thought of them as a danger because they smoked in bed.
2. What were some of the restrictions placed on residents of Corporation housing?
(a) No trash on the streets, no outdoor fires.
(b) No poultry or pigeons, no neighborhood pubs.
(c) No cars parked on the street, no pets larger than fifty pounds.
(d) No animals or pets, no laundry lines.
3. With what, according to Orwell, is socialism inextricably connected?
(a) The idea of workers' solidarity.
(b) The idea of machine production.
(c) The idea of overthrow of the rich.
(d) The idea of better housing and working conditions.
4. What did each of the permanent lodgers get for their ten shillings a week rent?
(a) A bed in the attic and meals that were mostly bread and butter.
(b) An attic room, a toilet, and one meal a day.
(c) A couch in a living area, a shared bath, and one meal a day.
(d) A bedroom, a shared bath, and two meals a day.
5. Who did Orwell believe was doing the best work for the unemployed in the thirties?
(a) The National Center for Employment Benefits.
(b) The National Unemployed Workers' Union.
(c) The National Communist Party.
(d) The National Employment Readiness Centers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Orwell say was the distinguishing mark of the upper-middle class before the war in England?
2. How did Orwell come to understand the discrepancies in pay for miners?
3. What is one superstition miner sometimes hold to?
4. What was one problem faced by the tenant moving from slum housing into new housing?
5. What is left when a slag heap sinks into the ground?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)