|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10, 11, and 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to calculate the actual number of people living on unemployment in England, what would one need to do?
(a) Multiply the official figure by 2.5.
(b) Multiply the official figure by 4.5.
(c) Multiply the official figures by over three.
(d) Divide the figure by more than five.
2. How did Orwell describe Mrs. Brooker?
(a) An anxious faced, obese invalid.
(b) An overweight, jolly woman.
(c) A beautiful, tall seductress.
(d) A jolly, industrious woman.
3. What is a "blind back?"
(a) A house with no fence.
(b) A house with a tall fence.
(c) A house with no back door.
(d) A house with no lavatory.
4. How did unemployment affect the life of the married man?
(a) Unemployment drove men to drink.
(b) Unemployment raised the crime rate.
(c) Unemployment did not make much difference in the home.
(d) Unemployment encouraged men to do housework.
5. What is a "dataller?"
(a) A miner who plants explosives.
(b) The superviser in the mine shaft.
(c) A miner who attends to the roof of the mine.
(d) A miner who digs the coal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a favorite refuge for the unemployed man in Wigan?
2. What did Orwell find was the basis of the diet for families of the unemployed?
3. What percentage of a person's income, whether employed or on unemployment, was given over to rent in Wigan?
4. What did miners tell Orwell about why they ate less than he did at a meal?
5. What did Orwell say the fillers looked like?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)