|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Brookers view the two old age pensioners that lived in their house?
(a) They thought of them as a danger because they smoked in bed.
(b) They did not think of them at all as long as they paid their rent.
(c) They thought of them as two old, quiet men bothering no one.
(d) They thought of them as dreadful parasites living on their charity.
2. What did many of the old timers believe about miners washing their legs?
(a) Washing causes lumbago.
(b) Washing is for women only.
(c) Washing causes ulcers.
(d) Washing is bad luck.
3. What did Old Jack say every night when he went to bed?
(a) "Tomorrow's comin'."
(b) "Till the morrow!"
(c) "Good night, boys!"
(d) "Sleep warm, then."
4. How many tons of coal were moved on the conveyor belt every minute?
(a) One ton.
(b) Hundreds of pounds.
(c) Several tons.
(d) Millions of pounds.
5. What did Orwell learn had happened to Wigan Pier?
(a) It was a myth and never existed.
(b) It had been demolished.
(c) It was converted into a caravan park.
(d) It was turned into a diner.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did one member of the press see Orwell's presence in Wigan?
2. How did Orwell describe the meals at the Brooker's house?
3. What was "the flock mattress?"
4. Why were the industrial towns in England so ugly and noxious?
5. What did Orwell believe every unemployed man should be given if he wanted it?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)