|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What physical attributes did the fillers share?
(a) They were small, overweight thick thighed men.
(b) They were tall, broad shouldered and thick around the waist.
(c) They were short, slightly overweight and broad shouldered.
(d) They were small, broad shouldered and thin.
2. At what time of year does the coal industry slack off?
3. What was done with the unusable shale inside of the mines?
(a) It was added to the coal and processed.
(b) It was brought to the surface and dumped into "dirt-heaps."
(c) It was left in the mine in empty mine shafts.
(d) It was taken away by large trucks and brought to lakes and rivers.
4. What was one "perk" given to miners that was actually off-set by transportation costs?
(a) Bonus for on-time work.
(b) Free tool sharpening.
(c) Bonus for meeting coal goals.
(d) Reduced cost of the coal for their houses.
5. What did Orwell say was the primary preoccupation of a single unemployed man in winter?
(a) Finding work.
(b) Keeping warm.
(c) Finding food.
(d) Begging for money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What point was Orwell making in his explanation of the coal miner's pay?
2. Who was Old Jack?
3. What is a "dataller?"
4. For what did the Brookers purchase insurance policies?
5. What was offered a very few of the miners in the better built mines?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)