|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were "caravan dwellings?"
(a) Trailers for the government workers in the city.
(b) Traveling circus employees' tent cities.
(c) Housing set up for criminals.
(d) Trailers that were brought in after the war for housing.
2. What is a "gob fire?"
(a) A spontaneously generating fire.
(b) A cigarette fire.
(c) A coal fire.
(d) A spontaneous heat problem.
3. How was unemployment viewed by people in the late twenties and early thirties in England?
(a) As something that happened because you did poorly at your job.
(b) As something that you had coming to you for being so lazy.
(c) As something that happened to you and for which you were to blame.
(d) As something that happened to you and from which you could escape.
4. How long were the fillers on the job during their shifts?
(a) Seven and a half hours with no break.
(b) Seven hours with two twenty minute breaks.
(c) Eight hours with half an hour for lunch.
(d) Six hours with no benefits.
5. What were the first sounds Orwell heard in the morning when he woke at the Brookers?
(a) The sound of Mrs. Brooker bustling around the kitchen.
(b) The sound of birds chirping in the trees.
(c) The sound of mill girls' clogs down the cobbled street.
(d) The sound of hammering at the house next door.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many tons of coal were moved on the conveyor belt every minute?
2. Who did the tenants of the slum houses believe to be the worst landlords?
3. In Orwell's opinion, what was one way the working class man differed from the middle class man?
4. What famous line came from Greenwood's play "Love on the Dole?"
5. What did Orwell find hopeful about the unemployed men he met?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)