|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were some of the restrictions placed on residents of Corporation housing?
(a) No poultry or pigeons, no neighborhood pubs.
(b) No trash on the streets, no outdoor fires.
(c) No cars parked on the street, no pets larger than fifty pounds.
(d) No animals or pets, no laundry lines.
2. How did Orwell describe the meals at the Brooker's house?
(a) "Abjectly woeful."
(b) "Uniformly pitiful."
(c) "Uniformly disgusting."
(d) "Pitifully disgusting."
3. What did Old Jack say every night when he went to bed?
(a) "Sleep warm, then."
(b) "Good night, boys!"
(c) "Tomorrow's comin'."
(d) "Till the morrow!"
4. What did Orwell believe every unemployed man should be given if he wanted it?
(a) A patch of land and a cow.
(b) A patch of land and a horse drawn wagon.
(c) A patch of land and tools with which to grow his own food.
(d) A patch of land and one hundred pounds.
5. How many tons of coal were moved on the conveyor belt every minute?
(a) Several tons.
(b) One ton.
(c) Hundreds of pounds.
(d) Millions of pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Orwell react to the train moving into the countryside?
2. What creature did Orwell see a surprising abundance of in the coal mine?
3. What did Orwell think would remind him that our age was not been a bad one to live in?
4. What did Orwell find to be the determining factor in the way housekeeping was done?
5. What was one problem faced by the tenant moving from slum housing into new housing?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)