|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Orwell say was the primary preoccupation of a single unemployed man in winter?
(a) Finding food.
(b) Begging for money.
(c) Finding work.
(d) Keeping warm.
2. What was one "perk" given to miners that was actually off-set by transportation costs?
(a) Bonus for meeting coal goals.
(b) Bonus for on-time work.
(c) Free tool sharpening.
(d) Reduced cost of the coal for their houses.
3. What was the most obvious sign of malnourishment in the families of the unemployed men?
(a) Bad teeth.
(b) Bad eyesight.
(c) Bad hearing.
(d) Bad speech.
4. What did many of the old timers believe about miners washing their legs?
(a) Washing causes lumbago.
(b) Washing is bad luck.
(c) Washing is for women only.
(d) Washing causes ulcers.
5. What did Orwell think would remind him that our age was not been a bad one to live in?
(a) The memory of working class homes and their families.
(b) The memory of trees and playgrounds.
(c) The memory of working class heroes and their stories.
(d) The memory of slag heaps and coal mines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Orwell find amazing about the unemployed men he met after returning from Burma?
2. Why were the industrial towns in England so ugly and noxious?
3. What were some of the most common conditions Orwell notes of housing in the industrial areas?
4. What did the fillers wear?
5. When a miner comes up from the pit, why does he appear to be pale?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)