|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the average distance between the pit bottom to the coal face?
(a) A mile.
(b) Seven hundred feet.
(c) Two miles.
(d) Sixty yards.
2. At what time of year does the coal industry slack off?
3. How did D. H. Lawrence come to Orwell's mind as he rode the train?
(a) He was reading a book of poetry.
(b) He met a passenger whose name was Lawrence.
(c) He looked at a beautiful girl.
(d) He looked out over snow-covered hills.
4. What did the fillers wear?
(a) Long cotton pants and clogs.
(b) Thin drawers, clogs and knee pads.
(c) Shorts, light tee shirts and clogs.
(d) Shorts, light tee shirts and knee pads.
5. Upon what did Orwell believe our civilization is based?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the fillers?
2. What is a snap can?
3. Why does every miner have a blue scar on his nose and forehead?
4. What is a cage?
5. Who was Old Jack?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)