|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did miners tell Orwell about why they ate less than he did at a meal?
(a) They are not allowed to use a bathroom.
(b) They cannot work all day on a full stomach.
(c) They have permanently lost their appetites.
(d) Food is available in the mine if they need something.
2. At what point did Orwell leave the Brooker's boarding house?
(a) When he found there was a full chamber pot under the breakfast table.
(b) When all of his belongings were stolen.
(c) When he had enough of the other men sharing his room.
(d) When his wallet was stolen.
3. In one town, what was built instead of public housing the town desperately needed?
(a) A museum.
(b) A town hall.
(c) A library.
(d) A recreational area.
4. Who did the tenants of the slum houses believe to be the worst landlords?
(a) The wealthy buisnessman in London.
(b) The poor woman who lives off the rent of her tenants.
(c) The mayor or anyone in his office.
(d) The government.
5. What does "back to back" mean?
(a) Two houses separated by a brick wall.
(b) Two houses built as one, one upstairs, one downstairs.
(c) Two houses combined to make one large house.
(d) Two houses built as one, front house faces the street, back house faces the alley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author accused miners of gluttony?
2. How did the Brookers view the two old age pensioners that lived in their house?
3. What were "cream crackers?"
4. In what positions did Orwell find himself moving through the tunnels in the coal mine?
5. What other types of expenses were taken from the miner's pay?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)