|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is nystagmus?
(a) A nose disease.
(b) An eye disease.
(c) A lung disease.
(d) A heart disease.
2. What did Orwell learn had happened to Wigan Pier?
(a) It had been demolished.
(b) It was converted into a caravan park.
(c) It was turned into a diner.
(d) It was a myth and never existed.
3. How did Orwell come to understand the discrepancies in pay for miners?
(a) By working with the payroll departments.
(b) By studing pay checks and bank accounts.
(c) By listening to talk around the lunch table.
(d) By interviewing miners.
4. What did miners tell Orwell about why they ate less than he did at a meal?
(a) They cannot work all day on a full stomach.
(b) Food is available in the mine if they need something.
(c) They are not allowed to use a bathroom.
(d) They have permanently lost their appetites.
5. Who were the only permanent lodgers at the Brookers?
(a) Mr. Reilly and a man named Joe.
(b) Mr. Reilly and Mr. Simons.
(c) Mr. Reilly and Mr. Orwell.
(d) Mr. Reilly and the Irish miner with one hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the tenants of the slum houses believe to be the worst landlords?
2. In what position must the fillers work?
3. How did Orwell describe Mrs. Brooker?
4. What could happen to cause a miner to lose one or two days pay?
5. What physical attributes did the fillers share?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)