|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Orwell's bed in his room at the Brooker's house?
(a) In the center of the room.
(b) On the east wall.
(c) In the right hand corner nearest the door.
(d) Against a dresser.
2. What is nystagmus?
(a) A nose disease.
(b) A lung disease.
(c) A heart disease.
(d) An eye disease.
3. Which towns did Orwell note for their approach to tearing down slum housing and rebuilding?
(a) Liverpool and Yorkshire.
(b) Liverpool and London.
(c) Liverpool and Manchester.
(d) Liverpool and Sheffield.
4. How far under the ground was Orwell when he reached the bottom of the mine?
(a) Four thousand feet.
(b) Four thousand yards.
(c) Four hundred yards.
(d) Seven hundred feet.
5. What were newspaper canvassers?
(a) They were door-to-door pollsters for the political candidate.
(b) They were door-to-door salesmen selling newspaper subscriptions.
(c) They were door-to-door advertisement salesmen.
(d) They were door-to-door surveyers for the census.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "dataller?"
2. What did many of the old timers believe about miners washing their legs?
3. With what phrase did all of Mrs. Brooker's complaints end?
4. At what point did Orwell leave the Brooker's boarding house?
5. To what did Orwell compare the sound of the conveyor belt in the mine?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)