|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the first sounds Orwell heard in the morning when he woke at the Brookers?
(a) The sound of mill girls' clogs down the cobbled street.
(b) The sound of hammering at the house next door.
(c) The sound of Mrs. Brooker bustling around the kitchen.
(d) The sound of birds chirping in the trees.
2. What did each of the permanent lodgers get for their ten shillings a week rent?
(a) An attic room, a toilet, and one meal a day.
(b) A bed in the attic and meals that were mostly bread and butter.
(c) A bedroom, a shared bath, and two meals a day.
(d) A couch in a living area, a shared bath, and one meal a day.
3. What were "caravan dwellings?"
(a) Trailers that were brought in after the war for housing.
(b) Trailers for the government workers in the city.
(c) Housing set up for criminals.
(d) Traveling circus employees' tent cities.
4. Who was Emmie?
(a) The fiance of a son living in London.
(b) The neighbor who complained bitterly about the Brookers.
(c) Orwell's sister.
(d) The maid hired to come in weekly.
5. What is a "gob fire?"
(a) A spontaneously generating fire.
(b) A cigarette fire.
(c) A coal fire.
(d) A spontaneous heat problem.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Corporation cleaned out the slums and moved its occupants, where did it build housing for them?
2. What does "one up, one down" mean?
3. What was the major difference between a mile above ground and a mile in the pit bottom?
4. What did Orwell say about the Corporation housing as a whole?
5. How did the Brookers view the two old age pensioners that lived in their house?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)