|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what did Orwell compare the sound of the conveyor belt in the mine?
(a) An echo.
(b) A loud hum.
(c) A machine gun.
2. What is the first thing a miner does when he comes up from the mine?
(a) Strips off his shirt and wipes his face.
(b) Drinks large quantities of water.
(c) Gargles water to get the coal dust out of his nose and mouth.
(d) Goes home to bathe.
3. What were some of the most common conditions Orwell notes of housing in the industrial areas?
(a) No hot water, no electircity, no roof.
(b) Bugs, no bedding, no stove.
(c) Unopenable windows, bugs, and overcrowding.
(d) Overcrowding, no roof, no dishes.
4. What did each of the permanent lodgers get for their ten shillings a week rent?
(a) A bed in the attic and meals that were mostly bread and butter.
(b) A bedroom, a shared bath, and two meals a day.
(c) A couch in a living area, a shared bath, and one meal a day.
(d) An attic room, a toilet, and one meal a day.
5. How did Orwell describe Mr. Brooker?
(a) An aggressive, manly, attractive fellow.
(b) An ugly, offensive, odd smelling man.
(c) A small boned, angry, crippled man.
(d) A dark, sour, small boned, filthy man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were newspaper canvassers?
2. Where was Orwell's bed in his room at the Brooker's house?
3. What did Orwell say about the Corporation housing as a whole?
4. What did Orwell find to be the determining factor in the way housekeeping was done?
5. What was one problem faced by the tenant moving from slum housing into new housing?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)