|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mrs. Brooker, who was "at Canada?"
(a) Many of her husband's relatives.
(b) Many of her former boarders.
(c) Many of her aunts and uncles.
(d) Many of her children.
2. Who wrote "The Coal Scuttle?"
(a) Mr. Albert Hall, Mayor of Chelsey, Yorkshire.
(b) Mr. Paul McCartney, Mayor of Barnsley, Yorkshire.
(c) Mr. John Abbott, Mayor of Chelsey, Yorkshire.
(d) Mr. Joseph Jones, Mayor of Barnsley, Yorkshire.
3. What other types of expenses were taken from the miner's pay?
(a) Uniform rental, tools, union fees.
(b) Insurance, uniform rental, hospital fees.
(c) Insurance, lamp rental, union fees.
(d) Hospital fees, tools, uniform rental.
4. What does "one up, one down" mean?
(a) One room on each storey.
(b) One ground floor, one basement.
(c) One room in front of another.
(d) One room with a higher ceiling than the other.
5. For what did the Brookers purchase insurance policies?
(a) They insured the lives of both old age pensioners.
(b) They insured each other.
(c) They insured their home and shop.
(d) They insured their children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Orwell believe the return trip through the tunnels was worse than the initial one?
2. What is a "dataller?"
3. What could happen to cause a miner to lose one or two days pay?
4. What physical attributes did the fillers share?
5. When the Corporation cleaned out the slums and moved its occupants, where did it build housing for them?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)