|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "back to back" mean?
(a) Two houses built as one, front house faces the street, back house faces the alley.
(b) Two houses built as one, one upstairs, one downstairs.
(c) Two houses separated by a brick wall.
(d) Two houses combined to make one large house.
2. What did the fillers wear?
(a) Shorts, light tee shirts and knee pads.
(b) Shorts, light tee shirts and clogs.
(c) Long cotton pants and clogs.
(d) Thin drawers, clogs and knee pads.
3. What is nystagmus?
(a) An eye disease.
(b) A heart disease.
(c) A nose disease.
(d) A lung disease.
4. What did Orwell urge the reader to realize about the coal miner?
(a) "Miners have families just like other people."
(b) "Miners are people too."
(c) "Because miners sweat their guts out, superior people can remain superior."
(d) "Miners are not all stupid people not deserving of an education."
5. In what position must the fillers work?
(a) Slouching over.
(b) Standing up.
(c) On their knees.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did D. H. Lawrence come to Orwell's mind as he rode the train?
2. What is one superstition miner sometimes hold to?
3. What was one "perk" given to miners that was actually off-set by transportation costs?
4. What kind of shop was attached to the Brooker's boarding house?
5. What is "traveling?"
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)